Notices

I cant seem to get back to day 1

Old 07-23-2008, 07:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I cant seem to get back to day 1

I want to get back to day one but dont know how
It's been the hardest 2 and a half years of my life! I have lost my mum, my marriage, my home and now my Dad 2 weeks ago! I have decided that things WILL only get better now. I know that this is only possible if I stop drinking to mask what has happend.
Having said that, I have been drinking for the last 15yrs even when life was good.
Where do I start?
Old 07-23-2008, 07:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It is very hard but you can't give up. You need to keep trying. I am not one to talk since I am only on Day 2 after relapsing. But I am back on the bus and trying to find my way. Can you go to meetings? Do you have a support system to help? All these things are important. Keep posting on this site because people here are wonderful and an enormous help. Good Luck!!!!
Old 07-23-2008, 08:10 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Start by stopping (the drinking).

Make a decision JUST FOR TODAY.
Old 07-23-2008, 08:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi,

Just know that you can do this. First of all, it's a good idea to talk to your dr before you stop drinking as it can be dangerous to detox.

Then, just get through each hour until it is a full day. Distract yourself by doing things differently than your normal routine, call someone, go for a long walk, listen to music. Do whatever it takes to get through a few minutes.
Old 07-23-2008, 08:17 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Posting here is a good start. Have you tried AA? It works for me. We all do this one day at a time. Notice I use the word We Thats because we dont have to do this alone. Thats one of the many great things about AA. Come join us in our "Class of July 2008 Club" http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...2008-club.html
Old 07-23-2008, 08:25 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

writing your post was an excellent start......

what can you do next?

write about it to us if you want.....
Old 07-23-2008, 08:40 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Not about to start counting off the tragedies that occured along my path during my gluttonous rage of alcohol, but just now that you aren't alone, Pixy. I look at all the bad things that have happened and realized that I don't want to be one of them. I deserve better. And I say that as a person standing on the outside looking in. I don't like what I've done to myself. And it's gonna stop. Period.

If you know life is gonna get better than make it happen. Don't overthink and analyze it. Just do it. Put the bottle down and make a stand, 'cause you may have lost some valuable things in your life, but you still have one thing they can't take away from you. Your Pride.
Old 07-23-2008, 08:50 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi all,
had a drink last night as I was playing guitar in a club, fell good though, as I just decided enough was enough and I stopped drinking and went home, as I was walking out the club a bottle of beer was given to me, it still in the fridge some how I did not want too or need to drink it. Going home now to pour bottle down the sink.
Hopefully will not need to drink, we will see, just need to make a stance .
Old 07-23-2008, 09:27 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Pixy you sound as if you may be in the same boat I was in.... I wanted to stop more then anything in the world but I had reached the point where both physically and mentally I was incapable of stopping.

Where to start?

Well I went to a doctor who specialized in drug addiction and alcoholism, I told him the entire truth about my drinking and he put me into medical detox because it was unsafe for me to just quit drinking, the withdrawals according to him could have easily killed me.

In detox they told me when I left there if I wanted a chance to stay sober to go to at least 90 AA meetings in 90 days and get a sponsor.

Step one is to see a doctor and be totally honest with the doctor.
Old 07-23-2008, 09:35 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Seriously Fun!

Welcome Pixy,

I'm so glad you are asking for help. That is a big step. And I agree with Taz. You may need to find a doctor to help you with this. And going to meetings is great. And there is SMART recovery, too.

So many ways out of this...all you have to do is find one, and keep going. And look, here you are with this post. THat is a great first start.

Welcome 100gg. Don't give up trying.
Old 07-23-2008, 10:12 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Pixy,

Posting here is a good start and you've received a lot of great advice, I think the next step is for you to admit you are powerless over alcohol and your life has become unmanageable, then seek out a Doctor and start fighting to get your life back! You can do it! Time2Surrender said it, it's not you... it's WE, we can all be happy. Tazman as always has given you excellent advice as well, I did the 90 meetings in 90 days thing myself and it worked for me.

God Bless You,

John
Old 07-23-2008, 10:22 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi! Welcome! You have taken the step! You've found a site of filled with people who all want to stop their drinking and get that joy/serenity that they've seen in other people. You've acknowledged that this might be a problem you need help with.

I came here a few weeks ago. I stated that I wanted to stop drinking and the most unbelievable out-pouring of support that I got here blew my mind away! At first I kept waiting for someone to critique or argue something that I'd post and not one person did! There's nothing you can write here that hasn't been said before. And we all want you to succeed, 'cause that also helps us succeed. I'm on Day 11 now and really enjoying it. I've found people with the exact same sober date as myself and being able to talk with people who are in the same stage is really liberating to me. 'Cause outside of a bunch of alcoholics, who in my life can really understand what this is like?!

Anways, welcome and keep reaching out.
Old 07-23-2008, 10:32 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Hi Pixy,

i started with just a desire to not get drunk and just kept it like that for like 11 months. that worked. after that i felt i could do more, lol. i have been happily sober for many years now.

before all that i would have a desire but other things i brought with it overshadowed my desire and i never got past 30 days trying for 6 years that way. that did not work.

keeping it simple worked for me. i hope it can work for you too!

dont pickup!
Old 07-23-2008, 02:44 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thank You so much for all your kind words. A few have hit home hard! The longest I have gone without drink is 19 days and that was a few months ago. And god did I feel good!!
My father was an alcoholic and stopped drinking over 20yrs ago with the help of AA. He attended meetings every day for years and in the end no longer needed to as it became a way of life for us all.
For some reason I dont feel AA is for me, odd I know.
As for the Dr lol The really do not understand addiction but I do and should know better.
I'm amazed at the support here, you are such lovely souls, Bless you and Thank you
Old 07-23-2008, 03:20 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I heard a speaker say once.. Its not about stopping drinking.. Its how to stop starting ..

AA saved my life.. I pray that you can find something that works for you .

Hang in there !!