Notices

feeling weird

Old 07-22-2008, 11:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

feeling weird

Hi there

This is a new strange experience for me it has been an incredible pleasure reading the posts today and to see the love and support from everyone. Maybe I can do it this time.

I took my last drink last Thursday (Jul 17) but it's difficult as I am starting to think I can have a drink tonight as had a stressful day. I am thinking 'I feel ok physically now, if it is this easy to go five days it will be easier to go another five days without after tonight.' The thing is this has never worked before. So I should know that it won't this time either, but it is still so tempting.

I work full-time in a good job in the government but feel very alone when I get home from work so it is too easy to reach for the wine bottle. I know I must keep this job because I am a woman with no family support and have never been married or had an 'intimate' partnership, so I must financially keep myself afloat. I think they know at work that I have a habit, but it is very easy in Australia to get away with it in the workplace so long as you do what is asked of you. I have been drinking since I was 19 and now I am 43. My longest time without was 3 months back in 1997.

Many thanks for listening. I hope I can not pick up a drink tonight.
Old 07-22-2008, 11:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome - good to see another aussie here.

You can do this. Stress is a difficult one, but I've found I still unwind without a drink anyway. Try a DVD or a special meal or something.

Promise yourself you won't drink today, and try and renew that vow tomorrow.
Stay in today

keep posting!
D
Old 07-22-2008, 11:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
1 bite&all resistance crumbles

Welcome!! What helped me stay stopped was the fellowship and program of AA...there are many wonderful meetings in Australia - why don't you try one out? I just could not do it on my own....you are very welcome! Well done!

Cathy31
x
Old 07-23-2008, 04:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Welcome to SR Jarkness, I am like Carol, the program and fellowship of AA is what keeps me sober and happy.

Take it one day at a time and keep in mind HALT,

Hungry
Angry
Lonely
Tired

Avoiding these 4 things make not drinking one day at a time easier.

Hungry is an easy one to take care of, I eat something healthy the second I get hungry.

Angry is a more difficult one, but the program of AA has taught me how to deal with it.

Lonely in AA is easily taken care of, going to a meeting or calling someone in the program takes care of that for me and helps the other person stay sober as well.

Tired is probably the easiest, take a nap or go to bed.

Fighting alcoholism is a very tough battle, for many of us it is impossible to do alone, many of us use programs to stay sober, I use AA, but there are other programs and also other means some folks have found to stay sober and happy as well.

Sobriety is great if we work at it and miserable if we do nothing but simply not drink.
Old 07-23-2008, 05:26 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Please don't let the bottle lie to you. As someone else here said, alcohol will tell you what it can do for you, but will not remind you of what it has DONE to you. I get the same feeling after being sober for a while - that I can have 'just one' and that I can control it now. That's total BS and I now know it's BS due to my numerous relapses.

Just for today don't drink. Take it one day at a time and don't fall for the demon's lies.

:ghug
Old 07-23-2008, 07:38 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hi and Welcome!

Keep in focus...Sobriety Rocks!
Old 07-23-2008, 01:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

hello

well thats wonderful you're feeling hopeful and good about not picking up. oh yes, being lonely can be stressful and it becomes difficult to continue - so change your regular routines a little bit to relax - treat yourself to something else you know you enjoy - make real plans to join a fellowship of like minded persons soon gaining and sharing important strengths.

it really will get easier even if it takes a bit more time then expected - hang in there and be kind to your self. how nice that the SR forums here gives you added hope and support!

RR
Old 07-23-2008, 03:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you all so much for your support - I did not have a drink last night - and I won't tonight either - jarkness xxx
Old 07-23-2008, 05:35 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I hear you, Jarkness, it's such a strange new world for us when we've been drinking most of our lives. It's like learning to live again - finding new ways to relax and occupy ourselves is a challenge. When I have a problem to face I no longer automatically think of that anesthesia - I've finally ruled it out as a solution. It took awhile, though, so be kind to yourself and don't expect too much at first. We are so pleased to have you here - some terrific Aussie's are already here with us! Love, Joanie
Old 07-24-2008, 08:39 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Joanie, I really appreciate that, you're spot on. It is like learning to live again. I was 19 when I started and I feel 19, not 43. Like someone who has missed out on 24 years of emotional development (I have heard this is quite common) and can't relate now to other people who 'really' are my chronological age. I feel a bit disturbed and wonder if it is too late BUT I have 7 days sober now and I'll give it my best shot.
Love to you all xx
Old 07-24-2008, 08:47 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

it's never too late Jarkness - I stopped at 39

I felt inadequate and immature and just plain weird to begin with
but.... you grow into something approximating your real age quickly enough

LOL well-kinda :bounce
D