Notices

How do you know

Old 07-18-2008, 06:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How do you know

That you are an alcoholic?

I tell people I am an alcoholic and they say no you are not you are just a binge drinker. How is it because I did not drink everyday that people can say I am not an alcoholic. Isnt a binge drinker an alcoholic.

I did not know my limits. I gave in to urge. I drank and drove. I did cocaine to keep me up to drink more. I would at times years ago drink in the morning to get over a hangover. I did things I would not do sober when drinking.

How can people say I am an not an alcoholic and how do you know? I just feel I know... I would have rather when out said yes to drinking then no but it determined who I was around how I conducted myself, but after too many I could not conduct myself.
Old 07-18-2008, 06:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

#1 Nobody can say whether you are or are not an alcoholic except you.

#2 It is possible to be a binge drinker and an alcoholic. I was a daily drinker but know many who were bingers. They have shared that once they started they didn't know if they would go one hour or one week and once started they could not predict the outcome so they were powerless over alcohol.

#3 I have heard it said that "when I controlled my drinking I didn't enjoy it and when I enjoyed my drinking I didn't control it". That is a good definition of an alcoholic.

Bottom line, if you are an alcoholic and think of yourself as one, then you are. Somebody else's opinion is just that, an opinion. And we all know what they say about opinions. They are like *ssholes. We all have one and most stink.

Hope this helps some,
Kellye
Old 07-18-2008, 06:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Seriously Fun!

Forget what others say..especially if they are your party pals. They don't want to lose you. Since you reinforce thier being able to drink and drug.

It's up to you to decide if you have a problem, and are an alcoholic/addict.

I was a binge drinker for sure. But then the binges got closer and closer together.

Here is WikiAnswers---

WikiAnswers - How will you know if you are an alcoholic

And here is AA's 20 questions...

AA's 20 Questions

I answered YES to 19 out of 20 questions. I have never drank because of shyness.....That was my only no answer.

And yes...you really have to be honest here. Otherwise..your not ready for the truth yet.
Old 07-18-2008, 06:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hmm, I don't tell people I'm an alcoholic. I know I can't drink and that's it.
Old 07-18-2008, 06:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Only you can say you are an alcoholic, but based on what you wrote, if you said you were an alcoholic I would have to agree.

Kellye - you're a good person, and I say this as a friend... when I was closed-minded and judgemental I used to think the same thing you wrote about opinions. Now I think opinions are like brains, we each have them, and I can certainly bear to listen (not always agree...) to everyone else's opinions, I can listen now without thinking they stink. In fact, I like listening to everyone's opinions now... it is how I learn.
Old 07-18-2008, 07:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Kelly this is me to a tee

#3 I have heard it said that "when I controlled my drinking I didn't enjoy it and when I enjoyed my drinking I didn't control it". That is a good definition of an alcoholic.
Old 07-18-2008, 07:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Kellye - you're a good person, and I say this as a friend... when I was closed-minded and judgemental I used to think the same thing you wrote about opinions. Now I think opinions are like brains, we each have them, and I can certainly bear to listen (not always agree...) to everyone else's opinions, I can listen now without thinking they stink. In fact, I like listening to everyone's opinions now... it is how I learn.[/QUOTE]

ROFL!!! Point taken!! Actually I was quoting my ex-husband's saying on opinions. I would have to agree with your assessment. Personally I am more of a live and let live type of girl. I do try to keep an open mind. Can't say I always accomplish it but I do really try to give people the benefit of the doubt. I can certainly give people the right to be wrong though (not referring to you).

Thanks for the chuckle!!!!
Kellye
Old 07-18-2008, 07:14 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Log Cabin I got 16 out of 20 guess that confirms what I know and I am ok being an alcoholic.
Old 07-18-2008, 07:20 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yeah those questions were a real eye opener for me. I don't remember my score but it was horribly high - certainly high enough to see that I had a problem (which I already knew!)
Old 07-18-2008, 07:59 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Funny how we all know we have a problem but we still take the test what will it tell me I am not
Old 07-19-2008, 04:04 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi cmh,
I'm Mike another Massachusetts alcoholic. I think I always knew that I was drunk. Most of my friends knew, too. Taking out mailboxes with sledgehammers, peeing in refrigerators, staggering around belting out irish songs at 2 on a Sunday afternoon... things like that might have tipped them off. Still I resisted. But now things are different. I'm glad you're taking the first steps towards dealing with your drinking. Alcoholic or not, quitting is the best move you can make.
I don't know how you feel about AA, but there are great people and great meetings throughout Massachusetts. You might want to check it out. Good luck, whatever path you take.
Mike in Boston (Go Sox!)
Old 07-19-2008, 05:32 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

The Big Book only gives you two questions to answer and they are found in the first paragraph of We Agnostics.

"we hope we have made clear the distinction between the alcoholic and the non-alcoholic. If, when you honestly want to, you find you cannot quit entirely, or if when drinking, you have little control over the amount you take, you are probably alcoholic"

Quote taken from the book alcoholics anonymous first edition

They say we have an allergy that presents itself as a phenomenon of craving after we have a couple of drinks. which means once we start we can't stop.

Can you have 2-3 drinks and stop?
Old 07-19-2008, 09:15 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I'm a binge drinker and definitely an alcoholic. I know this because I would do STUPID things, know they were stupid and still do them so I could drink! I am beyond ashamed to admit this, but I would wake up in the morning, still drunk, and drive my children to school. How they didn't die....???

I lost many nights in black-outs.

I would only wait a few day until I drank again. The days were coming closer together....

Ack, the shame! The important thing is that I'm not listening to other people who told me I'm not an alcoholic. I darn well know that I am!! And I will die if I don't stop.

Day 7.
Old 07-19-2008, 09:33 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hey Mike,

There are some great meetings. I have been hitting about 5 a week. I would go to one every night if I had a license. But I do not at the moment, but I am lucky enough to have great people in my life to take me to meetings.

AW,

I can have 2-3 drinks and stop when I am controlling myself but I get aggitated. And it is not fun....

Dancinggirl,

I have been reading your posts and totally support you. I have done all the same things throughout time. I really want it this time and I am really putting in the effort. Having no license and making it happen is not easy, but it is a lot easier than the path alcohol can lead you down Good luck and PM if you would like
Old 07-19-2008, 05:38 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Good to hear cmh. I love AA. It really saved my life. Keep coming and keep posting.
Mike
Old 07-19-2008, 05:43 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

In active addiction, when i picked up a drug, I always have a second and thena third .... moe... (physical compulsion) when I came to my head is obsessed with using and wont stop batter me (mental obsession) My reaction to drugs is not the same as those who are not addicts

Kevin
Old 07-19-2008, 07:24 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I knew I was an alcoholic .
and like you....I found a solution.

We are the fortunate ones!