Notices

Sober as...but in my own way

Old 07-14-2008, 07:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
"Meow. No, I am not a pup!

Sober as...but in my own way

Thanks to all of you (incl D7?) who sent me PMs. One thing I recognise on here is that we are all different. I don't react well (no really!) to people taking hard line on me. For others it really helps. For most (all?) of us on here, our DOC is not our only issue in life and we are all different. Many of the non-AA methods suggest setting a date to stop rather than stopping immediately and that works for me. But for many it is stopping NOW...whatever works for you. And good luck to ya!!!!

Hugs
And licks from my now THREE dogs
Old 07-14-2008, 08:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Glad you're back! Get sober any way that works for you. I'll still be travelling the same path. You're not alone in your recovery. We are here with you. With you and your THREE dogs!

:ghug3
Old 07-14-2008, 08:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Good to see you.
Old 07-14-2008, 08:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
getting there

So glad you're back! Congrats on the new dog, will we get a new icon soon??
Old 07-14-2008, 09:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
"Meow. No, I am not a pup!

Originally Posted by least View Post
Glad you're back! Get sober any way that works for you. I'll still be travelling the same path. You're not alone in your recovery. We are here with you. With you and your THREE dogs!

:ghug3
Please note that if you are on same path as me and 3 dogs, you may get bowled over...I have a whippet, a retired greyhound and an Italian (miniature) greyhound!!!
Old 07-14-2008, 11:28 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

The hardest part for me-in accepting I really am an alcoholic-was realising I wasn't different-or special.It was just a way of avoiding I had a huge problem that I didn't want to face.I hope it isn't that for you-truly.I don't do A.A either and I'm not being a 'goody two shoes'-heck-I'm the queen of relapses in a way-I'd get to two weeks-10 weeks even and cave..But I never give up.I've had months of sobriety and thrown it away on the belief I was 'different'.I'm not and neither are you.

I'm glad you're back and I hope you find your way.Just know though-that our common bond here is-we're addicted to a disease that wants us dead.It isn't something we can toy with.It's real and it's vicious and it wants you to die as much as it wants me to.Don't give in.

Jules.
Old 07-15-2008, 03:30 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
No AA

i'm here with ya pm.

I don't react well (no really!) to people taking hard line on me.
and most definitely agree
i would rather hug

much love to you and your THREE (3?!!!) doggies haha
and to everyone else on the path
Old 07-15-2008, 03:35 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Hi Pup! I have one dog that weighs as much as your three - a mastiff/akita mix that topples in at 150 plus pounds! We're going to get there together my friend!
Old 07-15-2008, 05:20 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Welcome back pupmum, what ever method works for some one is a good one. What has worked for me does not work for every one, heck even the founders of AA were well aware that AA did not work for every one, they both went to thier graves sober still seeking out other paths to sobriety for those that AA did not work for.

There are those who do it on thier own, there are those that do it via SR alone, others via religion, most do use some sort of long term recovery program. The thing is that anyone who really wants to stop drinking a lead a productive happy sober life can as long as they do not give up and they keep seeking a path to sobriety that works for them.

The ones that do not find sobriety are those who say "I will not do this or that to stay sober." Why throw up road blacks to recovery? No matter what method one chooses to try and get and stay sober, they must be honest and willing to do what ever it takes to get and stay sober.

How can one learn to write if they refuse to learn the alphabet?
Old 07-15-2008, 09:22 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Yay - good to see you