Notices

Chronic relapsing.... make a vow.

Old 07-12-2008, 03:59 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

Me too..I have been doing that alot lately.
And let me tell you.
It has worked. So I am not coming here the next day or week and saying how much I hate myself.
Old 07-12-2008, 04:13 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I am keeping true to my promise tommy......I just got home from Mom's and really want to drink...haven't yet though. I am posting here first. What can I do right now to get through this craving??????????????
Old 07-12-2008, 04:29 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Administrator

try and think of the consequences of drinking buttercup...think about how bad you felt last time, maybe?.

Try and remember too - cravings are just feelings - we don't have to act on them, and they do go away...

Got anything you can do - watch a movie, listen to a CD, phone someone...?

Distract yourself

D
Old 07-12-2008, 04:34 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Buttercup - Keep posting. You do this girl! It shall pass. When I have intense cravings I get on the puter and read and read. Go all over SR. Its kind of fun. Can you take a walk or a nice long bath?? Baths will come you. Good book to read? Someone to write to? Maybe jot something down in a journal? Just trying to help. Hugs and prayers for you Buttercup. I'll keep checking back - hope you do too!!
Old 07-12-2008, 06:19 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Buttercup...please hang in there, not only for yourself, but for the rest of us as well. We all need each other right now to get over our personal humps (day 3 for me is a particularly tough one, so I may be in your shoes then). As each of us passes a hump, everyone else feels inspired and empowered. So PLEASE hang in there and know that you have a cheering section all over the world sending you hugs, prayers and communal strength.
Old 07-12-2008, 06:24 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Horselover View Post
Buttercup - Keep posting. You do this girl! It shall pass. When I have intense cravings I get on the puter and read and read. Go all over SR. Its kind of fun. Can you take a walk or a nice long bath?? Baths will come you. Good book to read? Someone to write to? Maybe jot something down in a journal? Just trying to help. Hugs and prayers for you Buttercup. I'll keep checking back - hope you do too!!
Let me interpret this for a quick moment - You can do this girl! . . . Baths will calm you.

Just re-read and noticed I had screwed up quite a bit. Still waiting to hear back from Buttercup! Come on kiddo!
Old 07-12-2008, 06:26 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I'm back and haven't drank yet:-) I took a long hot bath with a good book and just made a pot of coffee. Who ever said that the craving passes in 7 minutes is right...it did for me. I feel great right now and am sooo glad i posted before I had that drink. Thanks tommyk for starting this. Any other time I would've had the drink and then posted but tonight it's different...can't wait to wake up sober tomorrow!!!!!
Old 07-12-2008, 06:30 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by buttercup1 View Post
I'm back and haven't drank yet:-) I took a long hot bath with a good book and just made a pot of coffee. Who ever said that the craving passes in 7 minutes is right...it did for me. I feel great right now and am sooo glad i posted before I had that drink. Thanks tommyk for starting this. Any other time I would've had the drink and then posted but tonight it's different...can't wait to wake up sober tomorrow!!!!!
:

OMG! That is soooooo great!! I'm really happy for you and the others you've just shown on how it works. Go to bed tonight with a happy heart Buttercup!

Old 07-12-2008, 06:36 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Horselover View Post
:

OMG! That is soooooo great!! I'm really happy for you and the others you've just shown on how it works. Go to bed tonight with a happy heart Buttercup!

Thank you sooo much. Everyone here is the reason I don't pick up tonight and I owe you all immensely. See you in the a.m. sober and rested:-)
Old 07-12-2008, 06:55 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

great thread tommyk!
Old 07-12-2008, 07:10 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
"Meow. No, I am not a pup!

Originally Posted by buttercup1 View Post
Everyone here is the reason I don't pick up tonight and I owe you all immensely.
I believe you might have had something to do with it as well!!!!
Old 07-12-2008, 08:43 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Hey Buttercup, WAY to GO GIRL! You are FABULOUS!
Old 07-13-2008, 06:32 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

I love it when people succeed.
Old 07-13-2008, 07:11 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I agree that the choice is ours.

More importantly, it is our responsibility to strengthen our ability to make the right choice. That is something that needs to be worked on every day so that when the choice to drink is present, we make the right choice. For me that means accepting that I can never drink, remaining humble and not putting myself in positions that will tempt me beyond what I can handle at that moment - it is about truly getting to know oneself and accepting what we can and cannot do.
Old 07-13-2008, 08:26 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Woke up today (Day 2) and feel great!! Thanks for all the support last night. I am so glad I didn't give in. For once in my life, I made the right choice.
Old 07-13-2008, 05:12 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

er - bump!
Old 07-13-2008, 08:36 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

I made the choice to drink today...not a good choice by most (OK, all, but that's fine!) views but my choice. I came on here, but did not post, before opening bottle. Prob doesn't count as meeting vow but only important vow is to ME and I know that.

For the last 18 months I have been looking for Pup #3. I am single, kidless, content with both states and looking to expand my 4-legged family. The one promise I made when first thought about pup 3 was...that would be the end of the drink.

My closest friend who is non-dog person and a tee-totaller looked at Pup-3s pic for renaming and said "Whiskey". It was also the first name I had come up with a week previously. I am giving up wine (my DOC) for Whiskey but I wanted a last dance. That is it. (Oh and Whiskey will be referred to as DogW hereafter on SR...not like anyone needs to think about whiskey)

I may vanish from here for a bit (or I may not) as thinking about not drinking seems to make me think about drinking.

Tommy, thanks again for the thread. (No, that is not sarcasm just cos I am drinking on thread. A few of your posts have wanted to make me yell "goodie-two-shoes! I am NOT going to AA" but I really like this and it helps.)

See ya soon
PupMum
Old 07-13-2008, 08:39 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Tommy, tried to post PM re this several times yesterday but laptop having bad day.
Hope you take this as it was meant...appreciation and understanding that we don't all agree and that is life

Hugs
Pups
Old 07-13-2008, 08:51 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm all for not beating yourself up...but I just don't see much remorse here Pup Mum.

I see a lot of defensive talk, a lot of I'm gonna quit tomorrow...but that's not enough.

I'm not trying to be harsh or kick someone when they're down, but you've got to get real.
Vows mean nothing if they're empty ones.

And they do count IMO when we make them publicly to others.

Nothing changes if nothing changes.

D
Old 07-13-2008, 08:56 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

And I'm out of here...nice knowing y'all