Notices

Chronic relapsing.... make a vow.

Old 07-13-2008, 09:15 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  
"Meow. No, I am not a pup!

Tommy's idea was to ensure you post...I liked that. Sorry not to be be perfect and bowing down in remorse...Thanks for the kick in teeth Dee74
Old 07-13-2008, 09:22 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
getting there

Hey Pupmum - I understand if you need to stay away for awhile to help you not think about drinking, but I hope you will come back! I love reading your posts and you help me a lot!

Even when people are hard on you it's because they're trying to help (although I know it's sometimes hard to hear).

Stay safe tonight, hope to see you soon!

-colagirl
Old 07-13-2008, 09:30 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry you took my post badly, PM.

I hope you re-read it again and re-read it differently later.

I'm not into kicking teeth...

Good luck.
D
Old 07-13-2008, 11:08 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Count me in... and thanks for this idea, Tommyk!
Old 07-13-2008, 11:34 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

I don't know about anyone else, but I don't understand this thing about labeling yourself as a "chronic relapser"??? Seems like by taking on this label, a person is saying "this is what I am, and I have accepted it"

How about a little more positive thinking?
Old 07-14-2008, 12:05 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  
Administrator

This thread sounded really good until someone (DogMum?) said she drank. tThen it changed and drinker was bad person. I don"t get that. She came here and said she drank like she said she would if she did...I am not sure will not lapse and need support
OK....I really don't want to dwell on this? But I don't want anyone to get the wrong idea of this thread, or this place.

I've always tried to give support and encouragement to anyone who wants it.
That's what we all do and that's what we're here for.

But we're here to be sober, free of addictions.
Sometimes that means being told things we may not want to hear.

I'm not a arbiter of anything - I, like everyone else here, am merely sharing opinions borne of experience. Take or leave it.

Sometimes the line between support and being harsh is a difficult one to measure.
I don't believe I crossed it this time.

I apologise if this or any other post of mine gives an impression that might put anyone off...but getting sober is hard. It's tough.

But it's worth it

D
Old 07-14-2008, 12:19 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jherzanek View Post
I don't know about anyone else, but I don't understand this thing about labeling yourself as a "chronic relapser"??? Seems like by taking on this label, a person is saying "this is what I am, and I have accepted it"

Yep.I accept some people do relapse this way-heck-I've relapsed quite a few times in this past year of moving towards sobriety.That said-I guess there's a place for it (labelling yourself a chronic relapser) if you want to see yourself that way-or feel trapped.Better we're honest than not about who we are-it's the only way out.

I just want to say though-having been at SR for over a year and seen Dee74 interact with many people here-he is never one to say anything with the intention of hurting or bringing anyone down.

If you look around you there are tons of people here who will tell you what a support he's been-and he is.He's been sober 15 months and has a wealth of experience to offer-most of it coming from some very hard life experiences of his own.

He can be direct-yes-but sometimes we need that-especially when we're in denial.I know he's been really blunt with me at times-but I needed it and he always backed it up with genuine concern.You can't ask for more than that from a fellow alcoholic.

I am certain he meant well here.I also know it's so easy for us to take offence, especially when we're drinking and feeling belligerent.So that's probably all it was in this case.

Tomorrow is a new day.Embrace it.Sober.

Now back to making the vow.That's what we're here for.I'm in!

Jules xox

Last edited by Jules62; 07-14-2008 at 12:39 AM.
Old 07-14-2008, 12:40 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm still in

D
Old 07-14-2008, 05:09 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Awww Pupmum, please don't be so hard on yourself. PM me if you want, I'm here for you:-)
Old 07-14-2008, 05:14 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Forgot to mention, I am still in on the vow...just starting Day 3. This thread and everyone who has posted really helped me out the other night and it's sad to see it take a nasty turn.
Hope all us "vower's" continue to post (that includes you too Pup, but I understand if you have to go for awhile).
Old 07-14-2008, 05:48 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Sorry to see Pupmum in a such bad state of mind, please understand that if quitting was easy none of us would be here, we are each on our own journey. Most importantly - we're all still here to accompany her on her journey when/if she decides to resume her endeavor.

Dee - I think you do all a favor with the wording in your posts. Concise, truthful, NOT offensive. I agree with what you have stated in this thread, and the constructive method of your presentation. Many will shoot the messenger even when the message is clear.

Here's an interesting 'thought tidbit' for everyone:

Take the last letter of each word in this phrase, "just for today", and form a new word.

Keep the vow.
Old 07-14-2008, 06:21 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Im on day two.
Old 07-14-2008, 06:31 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

PupMum, I sent you a PM. Please don't disappear from here. I need you. We need each other.

lots of love, least:ghug3
Old 07-14-2008, 06:32 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Just checking in on day 4! I made it through the weekend by keeping busy.

I pasted that into my post because I just wanted to address it. I don't think the title of this thread has any negative qualities in it. I definately consider myself a "chronic relapser", at least I have been for about a year. I've been telling myself every few weeks or so that I'm not going to drink anymore, and it just hasn't worked.
I don't think TommyK meant this to be a negative label on any of us, but I think it's a pretty accurate label of what I am at the present, and I'm sure I'm not the only one who can relate to this.

I'm off to school - everyone stay sober today! I'll be back on this afternoon.

Old 07-14-2008, 06:59 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Not making a vow, but I will make a commitment, that if after calling my sponsor and sponsee's I still decide to drink I will post here before hand.

If I do drink again it will be my decision, I am the only one that can keep me sober because I am the only one that can keep me spiritually fit, that is a choice I make daily, that is a daily commitment.

In order to get sober I had to get honest, in order to stay sober I need to stay honest.
Old 07-14-2008, 07:12 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I must be in very bad spiritual shape. I have to be in very bad shape to keep punishing myself by going thru withdrawals over and over. I don't like pain, but keep inflicting it on myself. I've been in counseling for years and still don't understand myself and what drives me. I will pray to God to give me a bit of understanding and help me to be kinder to myself. I don't want to keep going thru this. I want it to end here. I want to stop torturing myself.

:praying
Old 07-14-2008, 12:52 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

I'm scared!!! I called my dad to see if he'd watch my kids so i could hit a meeting tonight....I'm on day two and already making excuses in my head like, "I'll start tomorrow"......and he's unavailable (he's always busy for other people). I have no one else to watch them and they're not allowed in the meetings in town.

I'm afraid I'll drink tonight.....
Old 07-14-2008, 01:20 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Keep posting dancinggirl - take it minute by minute if you need to but you made it through yesterday so you can make it through today!
Old 07-14-2008, 01:24 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

dancinggirl,
Don't pick it up. Call someone, PM on here, take a bath, whatever will get you through this craving. I have to take my own advice though as I am on Day 3 and trying to talk myself out of a cold one right now. I came here first to post on this thread and already my craving is lifting somewhat.
This thread has been a lifesaver for me! We will get through this together.
Old 07-15-2008, 07:03 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Good day fellow recovery freaks...!

So.... how are we all doing? Reality check...!

I was at a golf outing yesterday, beer barrels on every tee box. At one point I thought back to the day when I would have freely indulged. But I told myself, "Not today... I can't post on the forum before I do it anyhow, so forget about it", and I forgot about it.