Notices

Just another day at The Rock!

Old 07-11-2008, 10:12 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
let it grow!

happy friday, jersey! thanks for all your great shares! i'm so glad you're back online!

k
Old 07-11-2008, 10:28 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Your words of wisdom have a lot of meaning for me. I like the way you put things. Thank you for sharing all that wisdom.

:ghug3
Old 07-11-2008, 11:00 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Hello Jersey Nonny - I'm new here, but you've inspired me today. I'm on Day 1 and I've been having a HUGE pity party. Your quotes and posts you've written make me feel better! I cannot expect things to change, if I don't change. I have alot of work to do.

Thank you for your inspiration and I hope you have a good day, and I hope your son gets back on track!
Old 07-11-2008, 02:11 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

I've been having a HUGE pity party.
Oh, it was you that bumped me off my pity pot! :c038:

My reading today had to do with "love"; but, I'm afraid I'm not feeling very loved or lovable right now...more into acceptance and trying to be content with the way things are here. Don't know if it's because of the time of year, or just a general state of indifference among the aides. But, as my daughter so often reminds me, "It is what it is!"

I cannot expect things to change, if I don't change. I have alot of work to do.
You're not alone, Jen. I still consider myself a work in progress. Hang in there, Sweetie...keep posting and reading. It truly does get better. No...correct that! As someone explained to me many years ago, "It doesn't necessarily get better...sometimes it even gets worse. But, you will get better!" I did, and you can, too.

Old 07-11-2008, 08:11 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I'm sorry you are not feeling loved - but it looks to me like you have alot of people on this site that love you alot and care about you! And now that includes me, your response and posts give me encouragement, so thank you! Here is a big hug from the west coast to you on the east
Old 07-12-2008, 08:51 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

Good Saturday Morning!
Here is a big hug from the west coast to you on the east
We used to have a thread called Hands Across Time Zones...called ourselves The HATZ'ers. It ran for a very long time, but slowly petered out. It was such great fun with posters from Australia, Greece, Italy, Japan, Great Britain, France and all across the USA.

Maybe I'll resurrect it again one day. In the meantime, my reading reminds me that:

Just because everything is different doesn't mean anything has changed.

Our old attitudes can kill us, even if we aren't drinking or drugging any more. This is called a "dry drunk." If we're on a dry drunk, we've changed the way we act without changing the way we think.

Change is scary, it's hard, it's needed. Sometimes it feels good; but other times it feels bad. One thing is for sure...it keeps on happening. Change means we're always beginners in some ways.
I pray I'll always remain teachable and open to change. My favorite Ziggy cartoon says, "Everytime I think I've got it all together, I forget where I put it." When I think I "know it all", I'm in danger of complacency and taking my sobriety for granted.
Old 07-12-2008, 09:11 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

Somehow, I wound up with a duplicate post...so, I deleted it before the admin had to.
Old 07-12-2008, 12:57 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

(((Jersey)))

I haven't been on as much, because my laptop is in the shop and using dad's dinosaur computer gets on my nerves! But I just wanted to say, it is SOOOOOOOO good to see you back. I always get a lot from your posts, and just seeing you here brings a big smile to my face!

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 07-12-2008, 06:20 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
not a greeter

Hi Rae. Busy and passing through.
Old 07-13-2008, 08:30 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

Hope everyone is enjoying this beautiful weather...tracking hurricanes already!
Old 07-13-2008, 08:33 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

Good Sunday Morning!

"Keep It Simple" re friends:

A brother may not be a friend, but a friend will always be a brother.
Ben Franklin

Many of us come from families that aren't very healthy for us...they have lots of love, but aren't able to show it...when we share our recovery with them, they may not seem happy for us...doing the best they can, but don't understand our new way of life. We can have the love we need, but it may not come from our family. We can choose healthy friends to be our new "family."
Although my family has always been very supportive and understanding (for the most part), there are things I often feel more comfortable sharing with AA's and the folks at SR.

One of my favorite sobriety anniversary gifts was a plaque from my ex-husband.

" A friend is one to whom one may pour out all the contents of one's heart, chaff and grain together, knowing that the gentlest of hands will take and sift it, keep what is worth keeping and with a breath of kindness blow the rest away."
- Arabian Proverb
Thank you for being my friends.
Old 07-13-2008, 09:04 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Good morning Rae!!!

I really like your post this morning! I found that family is one of the biggest gifts I was given in sobriety.

My belly button family is very small (as in TINY!!) and I always envied people who came from large families.

When I got sober almost 4 years ago (God, times flies when you're having fun) I became part of a very large family in the person of my home group. With this family I've had loads of fun, laughter, tears, loss, birth, death, marriage (including mine to a fellow member and yet even MORE family!!) and I've wanted to strangle someone one day and hug them the next but would move heaven and hell to help them if they were in trouble. I have encountered all personality types. I've seen people come and go. I've seen people struggle and then the light come on in their eyes as they finally "got it". I've sat up all night with them on holidays. I have the family I always wanted.

Then I found SR at 1 year sober and found another family in the cyber world. I had people love me virtually through some of the most painful and confusing times in my life. Now I don't get to come online very often and I get to post even less but I still take comfort in seeing people, such as your dear sweet self and some others who I think the world of, still on here still present still wise and still willing to share your years of ES&H.

Thank you for being part of my family! You are loved by me!
Kellye
Old 07-13-2008, 09:24 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Jersey - I wanted to thank you for all of the happiness quotes that youposted a couple of days ago. My favorite was:

"It is not easy to find happines within yourself and it is not possible to find it elsewhere."

This is a tough one, as I have spent so much of my life tryng to find happiness outside of myself.

I hope you are having a pleasant Sunday.
tm
Old 07-14-2008, 06:12 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
let it grow!

Old 07-14-2008, 07:19 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Jersey I am so thankful you are here and I drink in the serenity of your post. I thank you for continuing to share your ES&H with us. You are where I strive to be one day, and I know you still work on progressing one day at a time.
Old 07-14-2008, 08:56 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

I know you still work on progressing one day at a time.
Yup, Taz...still a work in progress.

"Keep It Simple" today:

Many of the evils of life arise from man's being unable to sit still in a room.
Blaise Pascal

Our program teaches us to slow down by taking time out...looking at our values to see if we're being true to them. Meditation is an important part of our program...it teaches us to slow down.
How many times a day I need to slow down and remind myself to "Easy Does It!"

Meditation: the emptying of the mind of thoughts, or the concentration of the mind on one thing, in order to aid mental or spiritual development, contemplation, or relaxation.
In early recovery, I was confused (not surprising), and asked the difference between prayer and meditation, since my conception had always been of a Hindu mystic sitting cross-legged with eyes closed while uttering a low, "Hummmmm." Simply put, I was told, "Prayer is talking to your Higher Power...meditation is listening to your Higher Power."
Old 07-15-2008, 08:53 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

Good Tuesday Morning!

Keep It Simple - 7/15:

Let there be spaces in your Togetherness.
Kahlil Gibran

We all need time alone...to get to know ourselves better...to know our Higher Power better, too. We can learn to be our own best friend.
My "alone time" is when I wheel out into the lovely courtyard here, sit with eyes closed, my face up to the sun...and just clear my mind as I listen to the sounds of the birds flitting in and out of the trees.

Every so often, one of the planes trailing an advertising banner will fly overhead to bring me back to reality...and, I'll remember what it was like to sit on the beach on a sunny day.

When I circle the courtyard, it's comforting to see the tendrils of morning glories starting to twine themselves up and around the lamp posts...by August, we should see the vines covered in brightly-colored blooms...and, around the same time, the "butterfly bushes" will be attracting those lovely winged creatures.

Yes, it's good to have some quiet alone time. How do you find yours?
Old 07-15-2008, 08:56 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Jersey you take me to peaceful, serene places, places I enjoy the simple quiet of.
Old 07-15-2008, 09:28 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Seriously Fun!

It truly is an honor to be able to read your posts with my clean and sober mind. If I were sick and insane I wouldn't be able to understand a word I think.
Old 07-15-2008, 11:33 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  
let it grow!

easy does it, jersey! easy does it!

hugs to ya, k