Notices

Just another day at The Rock!

Old 07-16-2008, 10:04 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

Good Wednesday Morning!

We can't all be heroes because someone has to sit on the curb and clap as they go by.
Will Rogers

Humility is being thankful for the chance to watch the parade. There were days we thought that all that counted were the heroes. But, there are no heroes in recovery...many fine, spiritual people...but, no heroes.
I tend to think of our friends and family as the real "heroes"...for putting up with our nonsense for all those years. Sure, we're sick people trying to better...but, there's nothing heroic about trying to save our own lives.

I always did love a parade...now, I'm just content to be sitting on the curb with the rest of you!
Old 07-16-2008, 12:03 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Hi Jersey! Just stopping by to say hi - Day 6 for me, and your posts are inspirational to me - Thank you!

Old 07-16-2008, 05:36 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
not a greeter

Hi Rae . Nice weather we had today. I hope you got to take a spin outside and enjoy some sunshine.
Old 07-17-2008, 09:59 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

Hi Rae . Nice weather we had today. I hope you got to take a spin outside and enjoy some sunshine.
Yes, it's been perfect Jersey Shore weather here...got out for a few minutes this morning...will head out again later on...saw my first Monarch Butterfly flitting around the bushes...lovely way to start a day.

Nothing in life is to be feared. It is only to be understood.
Marie Curie

We have many sides...some good, some bad. Maybe we're afraid to see our faults...no need to be afraid...we need to know our dark side before we can change it. When we see ourselves clearly, we can stop our dark side from causing trouble. The more honest we are with ourselves and others, the better and stronger we become.
What struck me here was the importance of being honest, starting with ourselves. I searched out another reading in the book on "honesty".

The truth of our problem is we can't handle alcohol or other drugs. They handle us...they control us. We must face the truth...and the truth sets us free. Facing the truth means we're honest, and honesty is our best friend in recovery...it is how we get well, and it will help keep us well.
I'm reminded of one of my favorite quotes from Shakespeare, "To thine own self be true, for it must follow as the night the day, thou canst not then be false to any man." (Old Billy S. actually did a version of Socrates' "To thine own self be true.") Even if you're not a fan of Shakespeare or don't give two figs for Socrates, you have to admit...if you can take a good hard look and stop conning yourself, you're more likely to be able to stop trying to con everyone else.
Old 07-18-2008, 08:57 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

It takes twenty years to become an overnight success.
Eddie Cantor

Successful people make life look easy...but, it's not...years of hard work, trial and error, and learning probably went into each success.

The key is this: If we want to be successful, we'll have to keep working at it. We'll have let-downs...we'll get bored at times. But, we'll be happy because we know we're doing what is best for us...real success has to do with our happiness.

Success Has Many Definitions
By Remez Sasson

Everyone desires success in one form or another. Some just daydream about it, while others do something to achieve it. What does success mean to you?

Here are some definitions of success:

It is the favorable outcome of an action.

It is growth, development, improvement and getting better.

It is achieving what you have set out to do.

You feel it when someone you love tells you that he/she loves you too.

It is the pleasant and powerful feeling of achievement.

You feel it when you see your garden blooming.

After meditating for ten minutes, without thoughts disturbing you.

It is all these things and many more.

You may enjoy it in the small daily events of life, and you can find it in great achievements.

Some seek it in money and material possessions, and others seek it in inner peace and strength. Some seek it in both.

What does it mean to you? Do you expect it? Do you believe you can attain it, and what do you plan to do in order to enjoy it?

Remember, success is not only something spectacular. It manifests also in the small things of daily life. You can enjoy it many times, every day.

Some just desire a carefree life, health, love and happiness, and to have a good job with a good pay to enable them to live comfortably.

Whatever your goal is, there are some inner qualities and powers, which are required for its achievement:

# The ability to decide exactly what you want to achieve
# A strong desire
# Visualization
# Concentration
# Will power
# Self discipline
# Persistence

Focus your mind on your desire, add the necessary mental and emotional ingredients, and voila! You manifested your desire!
When I was newly sober, I belonged to a Young People's Group...but, because I was twice as old as most of the other members, I was reluctant to share how little time I had. I wanted to have ten years of sobriety now. When I was able to relax and understand that I only needed to work on staying sober One Day At a Time, it was amazing how the days, months, and years added up.

I believe that each and every day we manage to stay clean and sober is a personal success story.
Old 07-19-2008, 08:25 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

We grow small trying to be great
E. Stanley Jones

We dreamed of being great. Trying to be great is about control. We've caused a lot of trouble trying to control things. We've been afraid to just let things happen.

Recovery is based on trust...we must learn to trust that it is best for us to give up control. It will seem strange, at first...but, letting go and trusting can become a way of life. The Steps, our groups, our sponsor, and our Higher Power...we can trust them.

Just as a child being tossed into the air will trust to be caught by its parent, we can trust to be caught and set straight when we stumble in recovery.
Old 07-20-2008, 09:52 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

Good Sunday Morning!

Living so fully, I can't imagine what any drug would do for me.
Joan Baez

Life is full of feelings...we can be happy, sad, mad, scared. Feelings can come and go quickly, or we may hang on to them. As active addicts/alcoholics, we used to hang on to feelings that made us feel bad, and used those feelings as an excuse to drink or use other drugs.

You cannot prevent the birds of sadness from passing over your head, but you can prevent their making nests in your hair.
Chinese Proverb

In recovery, we're learning to hang on to our good feelings. We can let go of anger, hurt, and fear. We can shoo away the birds of sadness and welcome the birds of happiness.
When I was in detox/rehab, I learned a catch phrase that stuck with me all these many years. Whenever we were experiencing a negative feeling, we were told to:

Trace It, Face It, Erase It

Self-pity used to be pretty prevalent among us...so we were told to focus on someone else...our good deeds will come back to us...service to others will help keep us sober.
Old 07-20-2008, 04:11 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  
not a greeter

Originally Posted by Jersey Nonny View Post

Trace It, Face It, Erase It
I've never heard that one before. Good saying and good advice.
Old 07-21-2008, 07:24 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  
let it grow!

hey jersey!