Notices

No more alcohol for me since July 4th.

Old 07-06-2008, 08:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Pursue your dreams

No more alcohol for me since July 4th.

Partied with my friends July 3rd and woke up with more than just a hang over. I was bloated, wracked with lower pain and my motor functions were maybe 50 percent. A fifth of brandy every day, for the past 2 months, took its toll and decided I'm done. Besides, alcohol doesn't relax or help me sleep anymore!

It's Sunday morning and I'm feeling much better. I been drinking massive amounts of water and green tea in the evening. Actually slept the night through last night with very little sweating. Still have some lower back pain, but I view it as a healthy reminder of my foolishness. Feeling better than I have in months; however, I wonder what other symptoms I'll develop over the next several days and weeks.

Thanks for the forum and the opportunity to express my thoughts!
Old 07-06-2008, 08:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

Hi,

Good for you!

Welcome to SR!!!
Old 07-06-2008, 09:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dreamchaser View Post
Partied with my friends July 3rd and woke up with more than just a hang over. I was bloated, wracked with lower pain and my motor functions were maybe 50 percent. A fifth of brandy every day, for the past 2 months, took its toll and decided I'm done. Besides, alcohol doesn't relax or help me sleep anymore!

It's Sunday morning and I'm feeling much better. I been drinking massive amounts of water and green tea in the evening. Actually slept the night through last night with very little sweating. Still have some lower back pain, but I view it as a healthy reminder of my foolishness. Feeling better than I have in months; however, I wonder what other symptoms I'll develop over the next several days and weeks.

WELCOME!!!

Not sure what symptoms you might develop, but alcohol withdrawal can be tricky, you might consider seeing your doctor.
Old 07-06-2008, 09:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Pursue your dreams

Joining SR and posting was a big decision for me. Yesterday I spent a good part of the day surfing and reading posts. The candor of the contributing members help me decide to join.
Old 07-06-2008, 09:36 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome Dreamchaser!

I am so glad you joined us here at SR....it's a wonderful place with awesome people! I don't want to sound like a pushy guy, but it can be a tricky and for some a very dangerous thing to try and detox on your own...If you have a physician, I would recommend talking to him/her about it. Or at least calling and talking to one. Replenishing your body with multi-vitamins can help tremendously also...just make sure you eat first.. Please take good care, and keep posting for us, ok?
Old 07-06-2008, 09:37 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dreamchaser View Post

I'm on day 1. I partied with myself the entire last 28 years and feel the same way. Good luck to both of us. I hope this time is different. I joined this forum yesterday so at least I'm not alone anymore. Nice to meet you.
Old 07-06-2008, 09:49 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Pursue your dreams

Artur & Sailorjohn - both of you were just being honest with me. It's not that I won't see my doctor, it's more that my decision came on a long holiday weekend and he's not avaialble. I'll be sure to contact him once he returns from vacation.
Old 07-06-2008, 10:02 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

You've declared your independence on Independence Day.

Congrats...!

Last edited by tommyk; 07-06-2008 at 10:28 AM.
Old 07-06-2008, 10:05 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

I am glad you decided to join us and especially that you have decided to live a sober life.

This is a great community where you can come for support or information.
Old 07-06-2008, 10:16 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi,

Congrats on your decision to live as you were meant to live. It takes a while for the fog to lift, I've got 5 months and still can engage in stinking thinking from time to time. Carol, one of the forum administrators told me about Post Acute Withdrawal Syndrome (PAWS) when I thought I was going nutty at one point, you should check it out, at least you'll recognize what you're going through and better be able to deal with it. I strongly recommend AA, it works if you work it, the fabulous people there will not judge you, in fact, they're just like you! The unconditional love, support and wisdom to be had at these meetings cannot be matched in my opinion. Staying sober is just the first step, recovery is the hard part... AA takes a lot of bumps out of the road!

John
Old 07-06-2008, 10:29 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Do some reading on alcoholism (IF that is what you have.) It is a powerful disease and most of us have quit about XXXX times (fill in the number!)

Understand that your brain will start to notice that you have stopped and for me, thats when the tough part really starts (usually after 2 or 3 days.) The tough part being wanting that drink!

That is when going to AA meetings can really help.

Dave
Old 07-06-2008, 10:53 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Pursue your dreams

WishIwasNormal,

Good to meet you too! Hopefully we can help each other. Sounds as if we have a similar history. This last bout was different for me and there was no ignoring what my body was telling me. Over the past 25 years I've always been a social drinker, but there were times of personal crisis I used booze to get me over the hard times and it always seemed to work - not recommended!

If my memory serves me correctly about 5 times, over this time frame, I spent 2-3 months buzzed 24 hours a day. Once I dealt with the crisis I just naturally stopped and drank only socially. Get this... from 1999 - 2007 I only consumed alcohol on major holidays and on a few other rare occasions - we moved to the country. This time was different, because it didn't just naturally stop and alcohol became a daily necessity - now I've got a new problem! I had to take control. Admitting that I have a problem and coming here was a huge step for me. I hope it helps you too.

Good luck!
Old 07-06-2008, 11:55 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome DreamChaser - happy to have you as part of the fold. Have to imagine the next two weeks are going to be super difficult for you and that little voice in your head is going to be waging it's little battle with "oh you're not an alcoholic" and "having a drink this time is different because...". Just remember we're here - drop a note and you'll find people do a pretty great job of supporting.

As an every-two-week-binger myself, I really won't start to get cravings for another few days - then you'll (hopefully) see me here whinging and stomping my feet looking for a little perspective and guidance from others who've already been down this track.

Day: 8

Good Luck!
Old 07-06-2008, 01:28 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Dreamchaser....
WishIWasNormal ...

Welcome to both of you!

Yes...seeing a doctor is always a wise move.
Then you can find whatever damage has done.
This usually requires a blood test
and of course...you need be honest about your drinking.

Keep in focus...we are here 24/7 and we do care.
Old 07-06-2008, 01:45 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by austingemini View Post
Welcome DreamChaser - happy to have you as part of the fold. Have to imagine the next two weeks are going to be super difficult for you and that little voice in your head is going to be waging it's little battle with "oh you're not an alcoholic" and "having a drink this time is different because...". Just remember we're here - drop a note and you'll find people do a pretty great job of supporting.

As an every-two-week-binger myself, I really won't start to get cravings for another few days - then you'll (hopefully) see me here whinging and stomping my feet looking for a little perspective and guidance from others who've already been down this track.

Good Luck!
Whoa, that's exactly what's happening to me right now on day 6. That voice is starting to scream at me, telling me to have a few and take the edge off. Start afresh tomorrow, all of that. This looks like a good place with lots of good people, it's good to be here. Thanks.
Old 07-06-2008, 02:37 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Pursue your dreams

Originally Posted by austingemini View Post

Good Luck!
Austingemini - thanks for the post and support. For the record, each of my binges lasted for 2-3 months, and I have had 2 of them in the past 18 months. In between the binges I drank very little. These last 2 were by far the worst in that I drank a fifth every 24 hours like clock work. I even had to get up in the middle of the night to have a drink and sometimes twice. Of course, when I finally got out of bed I'd start right in, again, with a couple of shots. Throughout the day I could get by with a couple of shots every 3 hours. Come bedtime and wanting to sleep, I would hit the bottle pretty hard.

The best way I can put it is during my previous binges I drank to feel better; however this last time I craved each drink and did what I had to to make sure I didn't run dry.

Writing these posts makes me think about what I did and why. It helps.

Anyways, I went to the drug store and picked up some B1 and B complex. While I was there I also decided to give Melatonin a try, because I slept so well last night. It would be a very good thing, for me, to sleep well each night.
Old 07-06-2008, 02:39 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
I believe I can do this

Hi Dream! I'm close to your neck of the woods. I also quit on July 4 and am right there with you and WishIwasNormal. We can all make it. This site helped tremendously when my cravings were screaming the other night. Mine normally get louder around day 5 so I'll be on here alot that night.
Old 07-06-2008, 03:30 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Pursue your dreams

Hey Free - good to hear from you. Before I joined I spent a couple of days on the web - including this site - learning about alcohol with drawls and detox. Picked up a lot of good information, but the one thing that I clearly heard is that everyone has different experiences and symptoms the first days, weeks, and months.

In my past binges I would get through the hangover and never crave another drink. I would drink socially once and a while, but that was it. However, this last binge was scary and convinced me never drink again.

As of right now the last thing I want in this world is a drink. I'm still fatigued, and have some lower back pain and my guts churn once in-a-while. It would be great, and I would be very lucky, to walk away from this as I have in the past. I guess I'll just have to take every precaution and wait and see.
Old 07-06-2008, 03:49 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DaveFromIreland View Post
Whoa, that's exactly what's happening to me right now on day 6. That voice is starting to scream at me, telling me to have a few and take the edge off. Start afresh tomorrow, all of that. This looks like a good place with lots of good people, it's good to be here. Thanks.
Welcome Dave. That little voice hangs around for a while I hear. For some folks it's a week or two and for others it's a while longer. Either way it's nice to know that voice isn't you - it's the mushy little booze brain hoping to get his way again - almost like a spoiled child. I'm giving mine a 11 mile bike ride downtown right now. Then, if he stays quiet he'll get an ice cream cone
Old 07-06-2008, 05:49 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I hate to say it, but I don't think that little voice ever totally goes away - In other words, we are going to always be vulnerable. That said, after five years sobriety I think I have a pretty good handle on things.

But, I never take anything for granted.

Welcome to any new folks that want to live life like it was meant!

Dave