Notices

The doctor was NO help

Old 06-22-2008, 12:39 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I actually did "try" to tell my doctor once.....the one who used to prescribe to me. He knew where I was going with it and said "Krista, keep in mind that if you're going to say what I think you are, there will be no going back, there will be nothing more I can do for you. If you want to control the pain, this is the root you'll have to go. there's no point in suffering if you don't have to."

I didn't try to tell him again.

And a couple months later he went before the medical board who took away his ability to prescribe narcotics. he was giving people methodone to come off the pills, but still giving them the pills.

I knew this doctor since I was 10 (small town, everyone knew him) and he was a great guy. I think it just got to the point that it got so out of hand (with a whole lot of people) and he was so over-worked from lack of doctors in the area, that he gave up. He didn't know what else to do. Doesn't make it right what he was doing, but we didn't have to abuse the fact that we could get them from him either.
Old 06-22-2008, 01:48 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
mle-sober

Amelia,

I just want to offer you some support for what you're doing. I'm not a pill person - I'm an alcoholic - but I can recognize the desire and the effort to kick an addicition when I see it. I see willingness, honesty, and openness in your efforts. You have every right to being taking your T3's as perscribed until you are out of the 20. And then, you will need to use your strength to slowly normalize again. I can't remember if you have gone to NA or not? AA has helped me so much.

I had a hysterectomy also and I sympathize - not the best time to be coming off pain pills. But it sounds like the T3s will help you taper and then you'll be on your own. Walk, be gentle with yourself, go to your NA meetings if they make sense for you, eat well and did I say be gentle with yourself?

Hang in there. You are doing the right thing. It's hard at first but it really does get better.
Old 06-22-2008, 02:01 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

its quite obvious why the doctor did not give a ****. he wants you to stay high. he was prolly pissed off you were trying to get clean.
Old 06-23-2008, 02:38 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Amelia~
Don't give up! People have given you some wonderful advice here, and I'm glad to see that you are well supported.

Three years ago, I was one of those people abusing my doctor for pain meds. I had been a recovering alcoholic and I'd relapsed, but had never before abused pills. I always had alcohol on my breath when I went to my Dr. appointments; it was never even questioned. I had been drinking prior to the initial injury that got me into this situation in the first place.

I consider my (sober) self to be an honest and trustworthy person. But I lied and fabricated once addicted. My doctor eventually put me on Prozac in addition to refilling my prescription pain meds. I then found myself having to detox from alcohol, pain meds and an anti-depressant all at once.

Please don't give up hope. People are right that you have a legitimate reason to be in pain. Don't let the wrong doc talk you into masking/ layering med upon med. You seem to have the strength to make a change!

The best medicine for me was good food and a safe place to be and a close friend (also an Ex-addict) who was there for support. If you have the income, you might consider checking into holistic support such as enzyme therapy. This also helped a lot!

Best to you!
Old 06-23-2008, 04:18 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
"Meow. No, I am not a pup!

Originally Posted by AmeliaA View Post
Am I failing????????? .
Read chi's signature...
Old 06-23-2008, 05:42 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

Originally Posted by gettingdown View Post
its quite obvious why the doctor did not give a ****. he wants you to stay high. he was prolly pissed off you were trying to get clean.
You cant be serious.

Amelia I didnt catch the OB GYN part.
That makes a big difference I think.
Do you have a regular physician?
Serenity Queen has a very good point too.
Some Drs do get scared.
I remember 5 years ago before I moved from Florida alot of Drs were getting arrested and having their licenses pulled for prescribing whatever to whoever anytime.
This has becaome a very touchy matter in the medical field.
My Drs famous last words to me when he stopped giving me benzos for my anxiety. Which I didnt even abuse. I didnt even take them as often as prescribed.
He told me I have to face reality sometime. A little harsh. But he is right.
But you just focus on recovery from the surgery for now. Take the T3s as prescribed and do the next right thing.
We are here for you.
Old 06-24-2008, 08:54 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

sigh... I read how docs should have more addiction training and I just sigh.. How can someone make you want to do something??
If you go to a program and do not drink or use then you are just choosing to not drink or use. No one duct tapes you. Not one will sit on you and force you to not ever do it again. It is a choice...sigh. No matter how you choose to change the behavior (with or without help) you are still the one doing it. You can give credit here or there...but the reality is that you choose or not. Period...sigh

How can a doctor unless he physically sits on you force you to stop doing something that you are choosing to do?? They are not trained as there is nothing that they can do short of offer advice and tell you to snap out of it. The reality and the research proves this to be true... sigh...

Thinking that empowerment is sorely lacking... Powerlessness fosters weakness that the attitide that you cannot do it... sad...
Old 06-24-2008, 11:30 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

Thinkingabit...
When most people go to a Dr or whoever voluntarily. It is because they choose to. But most addicts do not have the tools ..resources..or knowledge where to even begin.
Not using is the easy part.
It is abstaining and learning how to live life sober and change habit and behaviors that is the hard part.
Learning how to deal with the urges to fall back into old behaviors and to go outside the familiar addictive thinking that takes work.
I can easily not go pick up. Thats no problem.
It's the obsessions and thinking and the comfortable old actions that I have been so use to for years that is the hardest part for me.
That I do need help with.
Some can do it alone. But most cant.
I use to think powerless was weakness. It is as far as your addiction.
But to admit that you are powerless over an addiction is the strongest thing I think anyone can do.
but that is just my opinion.
I just want to add that my Dr was clueless when I first went to him. Yet he did his very best to find the resources I needed. And if it wasnt for him. i wouldnt have even begun my attempt at recovery. I helped him as well. He is now educating himself more on addiction.
Now he is one step ahead of me.
Old 06-25-2008, 06:39 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I am powerful in my ability to choose differently for myself. Should I be powerless, well it conjours up all sorts of interesting possibilities of other addictions and behaviors to fill the void. Healing is from within and not without...

That is why one does not see the history of certain religions abusing and conquering others... those who worship without are never satisfied. Must have another nation, save others from their faith that is unlike ours... that never ending attempts at fixing others as we are not right within.

I love doctors who are honest and say "well you could go here or there, but in the end it is just a choice." That is true humility and honesty. No one really wants that though.... LOL

T
Old 06-29-2008, 06:33 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

sigh... I read how docs should have more addiction training and I just sigh.. How can someone make you want to do something??
thinking, I'm wondering if you are totally missing my point of saying that I feel Dr.'s need to be better trained to handle situations if/when their patients become addicted to prescribed meds. I feel that some Dr.'s are completely clueless as to the signs of someone becoming dependent on their meds. I had pulled the wool over so many Dr's eyes over the years that it's unbelieveable. I actually had some Dr.'s prescribe me 50 pills one day, the next I'd call with the old "lost the Rx" and get another one. Next day, had to go out of town on a family emergency, another Rx, two days later, "back in town" but left pills at family member's house half way across the country, another Rx. So many Dr.'s have no idea of the signs of someone becoming/being addicted. And when they finally have the lightbulb go off, they just tell you they won't treat you anymore. How about having some info on referrals instead of just slamming the door in one's face?

After all, addiction is a disease, the American Medical Association has recognized that. It has nothing to do with "snapping out of it."

Judy