Notices

New Here and would like your input/advice

Old 06-20-2008, 12:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New Here and would like your input/advice

I am new to this site and I have been reading alot. It seems like a very good supportive site. I used a site to stop smoking and I cannot tell you how much of a help it is to know there are others out the struggling with the same issues. I would like to know if there is anyone here who is maybe not a daily drinker but more of a binge drinker. I myself believe I am a binge drinker. It seems like it has gotten worse, I drink more, blackout way more in the last few months. For some reason its since I quit smoking. LIke I am trading one vice or another. I get very depressed the next day after a big binge drinking night. Its so hard because not drinking every day, I keep fooling myself into thinking that maybe I do not have a problem with it. But deep down I know that is not true. I would love to hear from anyone who may have also had/has a problem with binge drinking and just some advice in general. It just makes it even hard to stop. I always think, "oh I will just not drink so much this time". And very rarely does that happen. its does, but not often!
Old 06-20-2008, 12:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
CindeRella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!

Welcome to SR bstt Glad that you found us!

There is a lot of support here yes-

Please also check out our other
forums-as well as the stickies at the top of the forums..
they are filled with a wealth of information!

Others will be along to share with you-Keep posting! You are not alone!
Old 06-20-2008, 12:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi and Welcome bstt03 to SR...

For many years I was a day drinker and over time I became a binge drinker. Drinking daily during the week and on Friday the binge starts! Same thing for me, I get very depressed the next day after a big binge drinking so I start drinking to get over the depression...ugly cycle! Not sure why with me, but I am not a blackout drinker...But still a power drinker...not good!

Oh ya and its Friday...I am going to make plans to do something this evening...not bar related!

Good Luck!
Old 06-20-2008, 04:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

.....Welcome to our recovery community!

Please check out this link.....Blackouts are explained on #17.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...influence.html

It really is not about when you drink ...what you drink...why you drink
or how much ...it's the fact that alcohol is just unhealthy. IMO

Keep posting with us...good to see a new member...
Old 06-20-2008, 04:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

Old 06-20-2008, 05:02 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
where the light is

I was never a daily drinker but my binge drinking progressed rapidly.

For many years, I would drink once a week, usually until I blacked out. It actually got to the point where my thinking was "I hope I have fun before I black out." and "I hope I wake up somewhere safe." Real sick thinking now that I look back.

It then progressed to continuing my drinking the next day, sometimes in the morning (still drunk from the night before). This started to happen with greater frequency but I still wasn't that concerned.

When my drinking was at its worst, I was binging for 3 days continuously, 4 or 5 times a month. I would not touch a drop between binges. It was at this point that I finally realized I had to do something about my drinking. I had a few failed attempts (willpower, moderation) but I am now 6 months sober through AA.

I never thought I would be that kind of person that would keep drinking for 72 hours once I started but this is what I was. I also know that if I kept drinking, it would definitely get worse. I am so grateful that I took serious action when I did.
Old 06-20-2008, 05:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome...you will find a lot of support and encouragement here. Glad you found us! Jomey
Old 06-20-2008, 06:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

It is great to share recovery with others who understand!

I was not a binge drinker, but was a daily drinker. But, I told myself hundreds of times, I will not drink so much today. It only ever worked for a couple of days and then I'd be lost, once again. One thing I learned in recovery is that my addict mind messed with my perception of reality. I really believed, that if I just tried hard enough, I could control my drinking. Of course, I couldn't.

I hope you keep reading and posting.
Old 06-20-2008, 06:16 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome Jersey! "Alcoholism is a progressive disease" - one of the sayings that is so true. If you keep going, one of these years you'll most likely find yourself a daily drinker. I know, because I was just like you early in my drinking career. I graduated from a few drinks on Fri. & Sat.'s to 24/7 drinking of 100 proof vodka. I'd sip it all day to keep the shakes away. In the end it never made me high or happy, just miserable. It's wonderful you've found us. I credit SR with saving my life (along with the fear of facing certain death if I kept going.) As Anna mentioned, I was determined to moderate my drinking, too, and wasted decades trying to do just that. Keep posting, tell us how you're feeling. Love, Joanie
Old 06-20-2008, 06:23 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
getting there

Welcome to SR! I started with binges like you, then progressed to daily drinking, then progressed to daily drinking with occasional two-day binges on the weekends. Somehow never had withdrawal symptoms, but got scared when I would always feel pain in my liver the morning after a binge. The disease will trick you into thinking that because you can go a few days without a drink you really don't have a problem. Like others have said, it will likely progress if you don't stop.

Keep reading and posting! Looking forward to hearing more from you.
Old 06-20-2008, 06:59 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Today's Muse

I started out as a binge drinker. When I drank, I drank to excess. Than, I progressed to a daily binge drinker. Once I started, I never stopped. That is the progression of the disease.