Notices

? Has anyone experienced this?

Old 06-09-2008, 07:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question ? Has anyone experienced this?

Yesterday was day 7 for me & I had a really strange pain in both of my knees like arthritis. If I got up or moved to fast I had sharp pain, mainly in the right knee. I have been doing alot of house work in the last couple days (maybe over doing it will all this new energy). I have read that when you quit drinking nerve's wake up becuase the booze was dulling them. I have a 2 story home and by the end of the day it was slow and painful to go up stairs! I feel a little better today....Just curious if anyone else has experienced this?

Thanks
Dave
Old 06-09-2008, 08:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

I don't know your age and it really doesn't matter, lol

Yes, I had pains, I was 3 weeks shy of 36 years old and there were some days I felt 120. I don't know why they appeared but I do know I had them. Every joint in my body at one time or another those early months hurt and I mean HURT.

It slowly abated as I started eating correctly, started getting some decent sleep at night, got a routine to follow, etc.

Of course, today at 63 all that pain and more is back. I have osteo arthritis and degenerative disk disease so maybe for me it was a warning of what was to come.

If it persists I would suggest you consult your Doctor.

J M H O

Love and hugs,
Old 06-09-2008, 08:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Can't say that I experienced it in early sobriety Dave, but about a year ago I started exercising daily and now I deal with pain in my knees and ankles, I'll be getting it checked out this summer. I'm guessing it might be something similar to arthritis? Most days it's hard to get moving in the moving but for the most part it improves during the day.

I've had people suggest Motrin so I'll try that soon, yesterday I was given some samples of a product called Bio-Freeze, it's a topical that chills the joints. Sort of like the professional version of Icy-Hot. It works well. They might have something similar at a pharmacy or sporting goods store.
Old 06-09-2008, 09:03 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks laurie!

I wil be 47 soon. I have never had these pains like this before, maybe it is a sign of times ahead! I was just reading on webmd.com about gout.... Funny all my 30 + years of drinking never had it, but had many friends who drink get it. Maybe the last bender I went on was brought the onset of gout? I do know I qiut just in time, I was really just killing myself slowly & painfuly!

What I found on gout:
What are the symptoms?
The most common sign of gout is a nighttime attack of swelling, tenderness, redness, and sharp pain in your big toe (Ihad this also),You can also get gout attacks in your foot, ankle, or knees. The attacks can last a few days or many weeks before the pain goes away. Another attack may not happen for months or years.

What causes gout?
Gout is caused by too much uric acid in the blood. Most of the time, having too much uric acid is not harmful. Many people with high levels in their blood never get gout. But when uric acid levels in the blood are too high, the uric acid may form hard crystals in your joints.

Your chances of getting gout are higher if you are overweight, drink too much alcohol, or eat too much meat and fish that are high in chemicals called purines. Some medicines, such as water pills (diuretics), can also bring on gout.
Old 06-09-2008, 09:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks Astro....

I'll be getting checked out also...need to get blood work, the hole nine yards!

Hey it's a good thing we live in Arizona? Can't image dealing with joint pain in a cold tamp climate!

I really think this is gout after reading webmd, the first sign is your big toe and that is were it started yesterday. Just my knees were so painful I forgot all about the big toe!
Old 06-09-2008, 09:19 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

I have alot of pain in both my knees too. Especially my right knee as well. Of course it isnt there when using. But it does seem to hurt alot worse when not using. I do have arthritis in my knees tho. Took 2 years for my Dr to get it through his head that the pain was more than just random. So he finally ordered xrays and did find arthritis. I am 32 and am heavy. So I am sure the weight doesnt help my situation any.
Maybe talk to a Dr and have them check it out for you.
I take 800 Ibuprofen and it seems to make it feel better.
Old 06-09-2008, 09:22 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Congrats on day 7...! Sore knees and all, welcome to a new & better life.
Old 06-09-2008, 09:23 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks Chiy....

I do need to get a check up! The webmd also said to take Ibuprofen for relief of joint pain.
Old 06-09-2008, 09:55 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Adjusting my Sails

Are your knees swollen at all front or back? My Dad has had problems and the Dr. finally diagnosed him with gout. The Dr. told him to take Ibuprofen. I have had pain in my knees on and off for a number of years and Ibuprofen is what has worked best. At it's worst I could see and feel how swollen my left knee was but it does come and go.
Old 06-09-2008, 09:58 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

They are really are not swollen, just pain in the front part.
Old 06-09-2008, 10:20 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Of course, we aren't doctors here, so talking to your dr is the best thing for you to do.

I will say, that I became aware of more aches, pains, etc. when I stopped drinking. I think it was just because I was more aware.
Old 06-09-2008, 10:47 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I hadn't really correlated the knee pain that I was experiencing a couple of weeks ago to quitting drinking. But... now that you bring it up I did have a lot of pain in my right knee starting a week or so after I quit drinking. It lasted a couple of days and then went away.

I hope you feel better soon! Go to the doc if you don't.

Old 06-09-2008, 11:32 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Try praying in bed instead of on your knees for awhile.
I do that because I do have arthritis...

Well done on your progress!