Notices

60 DAYS and UNDER CLUB

Old 07-03-2008, 01:17 PM
  # 161 (permalink)  

:

Congratulations Negman!!! Hate to see you leave us though. Just wait for Fizzy and I to catch up. 4 days for Fizzy and 8 for me

Happy 4th of July for those celebrating tomorrow. I'm cleaning the house today. What fun and tomorrow morning I am cooking. In the afternoon I'll relax with a beer, root beer that is.
Old 07-03-2008, 01:22 PM
  # 162 (permalink)  

OK-I'm getting codependent (lol). Can we make it the 90 days and Under club? My nutty isn't as fun as most of yours!
Old 07-03-2008, 02:19 PM
  # 163 (permalink)  

Well done negman...and the rest of you....60 160 or 6...who cares as long as the figures are going up...really so glad to see that you're feeling happier, fizzy...it's just fantastic...i feel much much happier myself...a sort of constant hum rather than the quick spike of happiness alcohol would provide. Already i'm working better and making a little more money...i've even done my tax return! I'm organised and up for it....have a show opening tomorrow of my photies...and i'm looking much healthier too...shine shine shine!!!
Old 07-03-2008, 02:24 PM
  # 164 (permalink)  
Sober since 9th May 2008

Jeez !!!!!! what was that.

Oh, its ok, just the glare fae Benji's shine !!!!

Thought for a moment it was the Northern lights !!!!!!

Hope your show does really well mate.
Old 07-03-2008, 02:40 PM
  # 165 (permalink)  

Ha ha...very drole!...do you get to see the northern lights from ur neck of the woods?
Old 07-03-2008, 02:50 PM
  # 166 (permalink)  
Sober since 9th May 2008

Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
Ha ha...very drole!...do you get to see the northern lights from ur neck of the woods?

No, I'm more fae central Scotland, got to go right up North to see them I reckon.

Seen some fantastic sky's up north when I've been there with my wife, where her parents are from is right in the middle of the highlands and very remote. In winter on a cold clear night the sky looks fantastic, as to whether its the actual Northern Lights though I'm not sure.

Don't think I've been lucky enough, probably was too pissed !!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-03-2008, 06:42 PM
  # 167 (permalink)  

Hey, thanks everyone. I'm not quite through with day 60, so I'm staying here (where it's safe!) for the time being.

One of the reasons i started the 30 and 60 day and under threads was b/c the 3 Month and Under Thread seemed sort of wastelandish... Guess I'll have to venture into it and see what's what!... It's not like climbing Mount Everest or joining the Marines or saving the kids, but it'll have to be my own adventure.

I'll report back off my initial foray. Don't kick me off of here yet!

-- NM
Old 07-04-2008, 02:45 AM
  # 168 (permalink)  

Steam-looks like you are a west coast nite owl like me. How goes it?
Old 07-04-2008, 02:57 AM
  # 169 (permalink)  

Yum! One of my faves. I miss Portland...at least, I miss it in the summertime! Liked your recent post. Started to reply, but I think I need to sit back and listen (read) for awhile....
Old 07-04-2008, 03:08 AM
  # 170 (permalink)  

Hi all

Sorry to go on a bit today but I'm just putting this down to get it off my mind as its driving me nuts.

Day 5 and entering the weekend but dr is not bothering me. I never have a craving for dr. Not sure exactly why I ever dr. Don't even like the taste. I suppose to get away from other troubles I may have.

Made a very big decision this week and I'm not sure it was right but I felt I had to give AA 100%. I left my job. I was CEO of an software startup company and I was really struggling with pressure.

I've worked hard to build a good CV and relationships with customers and staff. Then in a blink of an eye, and a few drinks, all this is in ruins.

I had worked 6 years on building the business.

Have no idea what I'm going to do now except attend AA meetings. I still need to pay bills.

I thought if I gave AA full attention for 3 months and then start to work again.

Maybe I made a very foolish decision.

the only thing I do know is that my drinking was seriously affecting the company, our cusotmers, my family and my happiness and health

God when I put it down like this it seems a no brainer. Hope the telephone company feel the same when I miss my next payment.

That's the worst about software startups. I'd invested most my own finances to grow the business.

But the reality I lost my business due to drinking. Its that simple.

I've no doubt I could start another business. I'm extremely bright. From attending AA meetings this seems to be normal for many attending.

I do think once I can get sober, attend regulay AA meetings, stay sober things will change and I can start all over again.

The worst thing I absolutely love my job always did.
Old 07-04-2008, 07:50 AM
  # 171 (permalink)  

Gransha - Welcome to the group! It must have been difficult to make that decision in light of all of your business responsibilities! Congrats. I too am a startup founder (CIO). Having gone through our first round of funding and entering our second I realized something had to give. Sounds like you came to the same conclusion. Welcome.

Day: 6
Old 07-04-2008, 07:59 AM
  # 172 (permalink)  
Seriously Fun!

Happy 4th of July Everyone. I am thrilled to be in day 55, and also know that I am going to enjoy today without the pain of Alcohol.

Woooo Hooo.
Old 07-04-2008, 08:59 AM
  # 173 (permalink)  

Yeah Austin. It was a hard decision.

Did you stay in the job or take some leave. Lets be honest no such thing as leave when you are in a startup. You might have a chance if you were working for a large corporate.

Anyway. I think I made the right call. I'm gutted but, to be honest I was not happy with life because of drink. And people around me were unhappy when I was drinking. So my decision I hope will improve everyone day
Old 07-04-2008, 01:33 PM
  # 174 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by gransha View Post
Yeah Austin. It was a hard decision.

Did you stay in the job or take some leave. Lets be honest no such thing as leave when you are in a startup. You might have a chance if you were working for a large corporate.

Anyway. I think I made the right call. I'm gutted but, to be honest I was not happy with life because of drink. And people around me were unhappy when I was drinking. So my decision I hope will improve everyone day
You've made a tough - but great decision Gransha. It's tough being a small business owner as you know. Long hours, no one to hand blame over too (accountability) and often feast or famine. What sort of business were you in (if you don't mind me asking)?

I'm fortunate that (1) we have angel funding so I have a team of very competent folks around me, (2) two business partners (CEO and CFO) - so when I drop the ball they can keep running (3) we're a product company so our survival isn't based on the sprints but the marathon and (4) my drinking over the last year and a half have been significantly more understated than in the past (a curse of ending most nights at 10p and starting at 6a). If those four factors weren't in place I'm sure this would be a more difficult time. How are the factors in your situation?

Day: 6
Old 07-04-2008, 03:20 PM
  # 175 (permalink)  
Sober since 9th May 2008

Hello everyone

A big welcome to the newbies.

Just quietly checking in at the end of day 57
Old 07-04-2008, 04:25 PM
  # 176 (permalink)  

Yeah Austin.

Previous to my own startup I was in 3 to 4 others in the role as CTO. Mainly software development companies. This made life much easier as like you I had a team around me.

I suppose for me, I know that drink is holding me back both professionally and personally. That's why I made the decision to take time out, get in to the AA program and stay sober.

I did not drink that often. More of a binge drinker once every two months even longer.

But at the end of the day I did not like myself for this. And if you don't like yourself something is seriously wrong.

I was a jolly old sort when drunk but often when I would go on a bindge I would go in to a corner and sit by myself and unwind. Which often took days. Here in Ireland in many rural pubs you could almost live in if you were on the batter.

anyway I'm on the dry now and I hope to stay that way with the help of AA, the 12 steps and what ever else comes my way to help me.
Old 07-04-2008, 04:45 PM
  # 177 (permalink)  

Hey fizzy~still around? Hoping you'd give me some $%*@ and get my spirits back in gear!
PS: 57-wow!
Old 07-05-2008, 12:54 AM
  # 178 (permalink)  

Hi Gransha...welcome...good luck in your mission...lots of people to help you here....you've made a choice...stick with it.
Take care.
Ben
Old 07-05-2008, 06:08 AM
  # 179 (permalink)  

Hey Ben

Thanks for the vote.

I hope it was the right decision. I know going to AA is the right decision its the work that concerns me, what to do with my time.

Plenty of AA meetings and online chats

Logged in to stepchat the past few days. Found it excellent
Old 07-05-2008, 08:27 AM
  # 180 (permalink)  

Gransha,

I hear you. Like you, I was a binger (and often happy throughout my slobbering). I'm actually taking my girlfriend to Ireland (first time for both of us) later this year. Excited about seeing it!