Notices

first meeting

Old 07-14-2008, 11:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

first meeting

I went to my first AA meeting today!!! It was great!!! I dont know why I've been so scared. I feel strong....the 2 women I went with are very empowering women ( one has 15, the other 20 years sobriety) and I am so glad I called them this morning....My girls told me they were proud of me for going...not something I ever thought I would hear considering the last 3 days.....and they even agreed to go to alanon....so it was a good day!!!!
I do have a question//// does anyone know if I am required to get a DUI attorney ???? Is it a good idea??/ Will it help??? or big waste of money??? any imput would be great!!!
Well, my tummy is upset, and Im awefully hot....still trying to detox!!! so Im off to bed
thank you all for your support
Love, LG
Old 07-14-2008, 11:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congrats on your first meeting. Keep it up. Cant really give legal advice, but an Attorney is usually a good idea if you have legal problems. At least consulting with one.
Old 07-15-2008, 01:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm so happy for you that you went to the meeting and that it went better than you thought.

I am proud of you too!
Old 07-15-2008, 03:01 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Lostgirl,

Congrats on going to the meeting. I know AA changed my life.

I can't say on the attorney, but I will say this: document your AA attendance, and if possible get some people who will speak at your behalf at sentencing. A friend did this and he did not have to go to Alcoholism school, MADD victim impact panels, and a bunch of the other stuff they make 1st time DUI offenders do.
Old 07-15-2008, 03:23 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm glad that your first meeting was such a positive experience.
Old 07-15-2008, 06:15 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Glad to hear you went to your first meeting, I am always amazed at how hard people fight going to that first meeting, saying things like "It won't work for me!", "AA is not for me!", "Only losers go to AA", "I am too bad for AA!", "I am not bad enough to need AA!"

I was the same way, I though AA was a bunch of old broken down men, sitting in a smoke filled room, drinking coffee, smoking cigarettes and whining about how they wished they could drink again but they couldn't!!! Boy was I wrong!!!

I have found people in the rooms from every walk of life, the rich and the poor, the balck and the white, Muslims, Christians, Jews, Agnostics, Athiest, old and the young. Happy laughing people! I honestly thought I was in the wrong place, these people were not miserable, they were laughing and talking, they looked perfectly normal.

It never ceases to amaze me how surprised people are when they go to their first meeting.

Do not get me wrong, some times sadly people wind up running into that rare jerk in thier first meeting, that is why I encourage people to commit to going to at least 5 different meetings before they decide if they like AA meetings or not. AA meetings are kind of like churches, there are some good ones and some bad ones, if one seels sobriety they need to find the good ones for them.
Old 07-15-2008, 07:05 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I don't know about an attorny but....
I suggest you get a small notebook

each time you attend a meeting
ask the chairperson to write
the date..time.group name and then sign it.

(7-15-08-10 am-XXXX group-Carol D)

Then you will have varification that you are
taking positive action to quit...just in case it's needed.

Good to know you are moving forward
Blessings to you and your family
Old 07-15-2008, 07:07 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi LG,

I'm glad to hear you're moving forward with your recovery, and you've gotten lots of good advice here, so I will just wish you well.
Old 07-15-2008, 09:43 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

each time you attend a meeting
ask the chairperson to write
the date..time.group name and then sign it.

(7-15-08-10 am-XXXX group-Carol D)

Then you will have varification that you are
taking positive action to quit...just in case it's needed.
I totally agree with Carol...and, if you can get someone from AA to accompany you to your court date (perhaps the two women who took you to the meeting)...even just for moral support, it can't hurt.

Glad you enjoyed your first experience with AA. I'm assuming the message to the newcomer hasn't changed since my first meeting about 28 years ago: "Don't drink, and make meetings." Good Luck to you!
Old 07-15-2008, 10:54 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Meetings are great.
Old 07-15-2008, 12:13 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

It's great that you liked the meeting and found strength and hope there. I agree with all the suggestions given here, some very good advice. I can't add anything better than what's already been said!

:ghug
Old 07-15-2008, 12:56 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Adjusting my Sails

I'm so happy for you LG!!!

I know your not happy about what happened to you the other day but if it's what got you into AA and keeps you sober the I'm very happy it happened to you. (Sorry but I really am) Don't ever forget what that feels like and know the truth, if you go back to drinking it will happen again and worse, always worse. Really Rach I haven't been so excited about somebody suffering since........ I was the one suffering. Make this your last bottom sweetie. I'm here for you, whatever you need.

It's great that you had 2 people with so much sobriety to go to the meeting with. Rach they know how to stay sober we don't so listen to them. Whatever they say, they know how to do this thing. I'm soooooooo happy for you. We all have our good days and bad but you are now entering into a way of life that can be better then any you have known. Let go and let it happen.

Now about that lawyer thingy. Mine cost me $3,000 dollars and told me I would do 10 days max but he thought he could get me off with 2 days. I started going to an IOP and keeping track of my AA meetings and he thought that was a great idea. I think he was more shocked then me the day the judge sentenced me to 6 months in jail.

Do whatever you want or feel is right about that but don't sweat it. God has a plan for you that is far better then trying to impress a judge young lady. Trust in God end welcome to sobriety.

One last thing. Enjoy how crappy it feels to detox because it won't last long. The only way to never feel like this again is............

Love you Rach and congratulations on hitting your wonderful bottom.

Last edited by Dean62; 07-15-2008 at 01:14 PM.
Old 07-15-2008, 01:28 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Great job Rach, im so happy to see you entering into recovery. Dean said it all i guess. Also, you might bring up the lawyer question at your next meeting, maybe someone there has gotten a dui and knows of a good local lawyer. Big hugs honey. You will get through this, and be better off in the end. :ghug3