Notices

I'm new and going to need lots of help

Old 05-19-2008, 12:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm new and going to need lots of help

I am new on this and going to need lots of help and support. I have tried to quit drinking on my own several times before, but never lasted more than a few weeks. I am 41 and have drank since I was 16. It has been nothing but trouble for me and now it is just getting worse. After I drink I go into a severe depression for days. It is causing problems between my spouse and I.

I really want to quit before it destroys my life completely. I need all the help and support I can get.
Old 05-19-2008, 12:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Hello and welcome to SR, time2quit. I'm 44 years old and started drinking at age 14, I became a daily drinker at 16. Three years ago I achieved sobriety after a 27 year run with alcoholism.

We all have to start our journey in recovery somewhere, before mine began I'd given away 2 marriages, a home, and the life I'd known as a father to two beautiful children. Most of my life had been a series of dysfunctional relationships as a result of my disease.

I too tried many times to quit on my own, and sometimes I succeeded for a week or two, but I always returned with a vengeance and it became worse each time, eventually I couldn't go for a day, much less a few hours without taking a drink. When I finally hit bottom I reached out to AA for help, I've been sober since then, the obsession to drink has been lifted.

Step 1 in AA is "Admitted we were powerless over alcoholc, that our lives had become unmanageable". So the question is "Are you done, and are you willing to do whatever it takes to achieve sobriety"? It's not too late, and all the help and support you need is freely available if you're willing to reach out, listen to suggestions, and follow instructions.

Glad you're here. Keep reading and posting. This forum can be a great addition to any program of recovery.
Old 05-19-2008, 12:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. You will find you can relate to many people here. I too tried many many times to quit on my on only to fail time after time. Good for you to realize that alcohol will destroy your life (many go to the grave without ever accepting this fact). Keep posting and reading. Get to know us and let us get to know you. You are not alone in this.
Old 05-19-2008, 12:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

43 here

I too have been drinking since early on in my life. I started out as a chronic weed-head at 16. Drinking became my drug of choice in my early twenties. I have tried to quit so many times I have lost count. I am on day 2 now and realize that the only thing that I have not tried was AA. I have been able to string together 30, 40 or 70 days before but it gets harder each time I relapse.

I know where you are coming from and have visited this site quit a bit since 04 or so. I have changed my screen name because of the embarrassment that I felt over my relapses. The most common and frequent "thread" for sobriety that I have seen here is getting to a meeting. Or going to AA. These people seem to have the longest periods of sobriety.

My opinion/experience
Old 05-19-2008, 01:02 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
CindeRella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!

Welcome time2quit to SR! Glad that you found us! There is a lot of support and ESH here! You have come to the right place!

Please check out our Alcoholism forum and read the stickies on the top of the forum.

You are not alone a lot of great people like the one's above who will be along shortly to share with you!

Blessings to you
Old 05-19-2008, 01:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome!

like the others have said, this is a great place - I'm your age too - this last year sober has been the best of my life

hope to see you around
D
Old 05-19-2008, 04:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hey - I am 41 also, and enjoying my life so much more now that I am sober - you came to the right place for support and encouragement! Keep close! Jomey
Old 05-19-2008, 04:30 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Adjusting my Sails

Originally Posted by time2quit67 View Post
I am new on this and going to need lots of help and support. I have tried to quit drinking on my own several times before, but never lasted more than a few weeks.
You said it Time. I could never stay sober alone either. You came here looking for help and support now follow the advice given by people with sobriety and you are on your way. :ghug3
Old 05-19-2008, 06:56 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

My long term depression is why I began AA recovery.
With sobriety...it started to l lift rather quickly.

Blessings to you and your family

...Welcome to our community
Old 05-19-2008, 07:02 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Smile

I, also, am 41 turning 42 this August. I started drinking about the same time as you. I quit once for a year through AA and then quit during the pregnancy of my son and during his first year. Then hit it hard and drank every night just about. If I can do it you can do it. So glad you came and I hope you'll stay. I know I am going to.
Old 05-19-2008, 07:04 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome to our recovery community

As you can see, there are many here who can identify with your story. You too can recover. I'm glad that you found us.
Old 05-19-2008, 07:09 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hey time2quit67. I am new here, too. My drinking didn't start until about 6 years ago. I am 43 now. Seems I learned to become as proficient at drinking as I do most other things. Quickly, intensely and very well...I am not having problems with depression (well at least I don't think I am, but I'm probably not the best judge of that, or anything right now.) I've been experiencing terrible anxiety and panic attacks. That's actually what led me to make the decision to quit. Glad you are here.