Notices

I want/need to stop

Old 05-18-2008, 10:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I want/need to stop

I am new to this forum. I desperately want to stop drinking. I do not have the financial resources to go to detox or rehab. I also cannot afford to take time off work. Fl is an at-will state and employers can fire a worker for almost anything, at least that is my understanding. While I am not seeking medical advise, I would like to know if anyone has been successful stopping for the first several days on their own. I am looking into AA meetings...just want to be clearheaded when I go. If anyone has any advice to offer, it would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-18-2008, 11:03 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Welcome flgirl! SR is a great resource of support. Really wanting to stop drinking is the first step. There are several people here who have done it on their own and I'm sure they will be along to tell you how they did it and what they experienced. In the meantime, read the stickies at the top of the forum. There is some good information there on what you can expect.

Good luck to you...and once again, welcome to SR!
Old 05-18-2008, 11:06 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Many people get sober without detox or rehab. I did this the first time I got sober. A dr.s care is important....hopefully you would be able to go to an appointment.

Also, check out FMLA...(family Medical Leave Act) I don't believe any state is exempt, but there may be different rules according to the size of the place you work. It requires doctor supervision for an ilness (which doesn't even have to be labeled) but not hospitalization.

Also, when I returned to work after sobering up it ended up that my boss was tickled pink. I had been on diciplinary action for absentiesm prior to going to treatment and was sure I would loose my job.

Let us know how things go.
Old 05-18-2008, 11:11 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Here is a link with info and some of our experiences
It's not here in Newcomers but in Alcoholism.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html

Please note that no one has had the exact same symptoms.

You might want to talk to your doctor honestly
before stopping abruptly. Be both safe and sober.

When I began attending AA
I was way less than clear headed.
We AA members understand addiction problems.

Welcome to SR....do keep reading and posting with us...
Old 05-18-2008, 11:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I thank you for your replies. I also have panic disorder, which has not been an issue for a very long time, until recently. I am quite sure that the alcoholism has exacerbated it. I only get it when I am driving, which is very inconvenient, as you can imagine. I am alone here in Florida. My family is up north in NY. They have no idea what is going on. I am very scared right now.
Old 05-18-2008, 11:56 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Congratulations on your decision, flgirl - DO read the link provided by CarolD - it's a great thread. Please be careful, de-toxing on your own can lead to stroke or seizure. I was warned of this when I did it myself. Don't be scared - be excited and happy that you are about to have a whole new life. You are not alone - you have us. By the way, my family is from Upstate New York - Buffalo. Husband's family is from Greene (Chenango County-not far from Binghamton). Please keep posting. Love, Joanie
Old 05-18-2008, 04:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

It is really scary to face the knowledge that you need to stop drinking.

Talk to your dr.

You can do this and we are here to offer support.
Old 05-18-2008, 04:39 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by flgirl View Post
I am new to this forum. I desperately want to stop drinking. I do not have the financial resources to go to detox or rehab. I also cannot afford to take time off work. Fl is an at-will state and employers can fire a worker for almost anything, at least that is my understanding. While I am not seeking medical advise, I would like to know if anyone has been successful stopping for the first several days on their own. I am looking into AA meetings...just want to be clearheaded when I go. If anyone has any advice to offer, it would be greatly appreciated.
Hi flgirl - I am new to this forum also and you came to the absolute right place! I am going on day 6 of being sober and I did it with the help of the people here. I don't have answer that will get you to stop, but I can tell you a couple of things that helped me.

I ALWAYS poured my first glass of wine around 4 pm and so instead of doing that the day I wanted to change, I decided to get on my treadmill for 45 minutes.

If, and yes I did, still had a craving for it I would go outside with my son and play for half hour to an hour.

I also used this forum - SR- HEAVILY for the first few days. My husband knew when I was weakening because I would be on here reading or typing away.

I bought lots of different beverages - juice, clear soda to mix with the juice, sugar free kool aid, water, water, and water. The more beverages you can choose from the better. V-8 is also a good one for me, but then I like that vegetable juice and some don't.

Exercise helps a lot because if you are like me and get stressed out easily its a great release. Fresh air does wonders also. We eat our dinners outside a lot.

Good luck and best wishes and you can do it. You have a whole cheerleading group here and always get online if you need anything. PM if you need a friend or anything too. I am only 6 days, but this how I have managed the first few days and I believe that's what you were concerned about.
Old 05-18-2008, 04:39 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
mle-sober

Flgirl,

You sound bound and determined and that is a really good thing. Don't let not being completely clear-headed stop you from going to an AA meeting. I know we don't really want to encourage people to go drunk, but my first meeting, I was drunk. And I cried the whole way through. And also, I gave them a false name because I was scared. How silly is that? I've been attending the same meeting faithfully ever since for 3.5 months. And I have a sponsor.

Certainly see your doctor to get some guidance on detoxing. But lots of people go from there and continue to get well without a medical detox or rehab. AA is a miracle and will lend you strength and hope.

Good job reaching out and I'm glad you're here.

- MLE
Old 05-18-2008, 04:53 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
FreeSpirit

Red face

about you not having medical coverage
I also Don't have medical coverage but was
able to find a low cost clinic when I first
arrive at this site everybody was so helpful
and supportive and they all gave me allot
of Hope and Faith and Gave me Good 411(info)

so stick around there is allot of Support here
God Bless you &
Old 05-18-2008, 05:06 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Certified Scrabble Cheat!

Hey Florida Girl. So you have the panic thing when when driving? I wrote about that that same thing happening to me and how it messed me up while living in Dallas. The real Dallas that is! LOL After I sobered up all of those conditions went away. I actually like driving again. So there. Do you need any further reason to stop that drinking nonsense??

Stay strong. You have found an amazing bunch to hang out with.

Daddio. 49,586,804 sober heartbeats.
Old 05-18-2008, 06:35 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

The panic thing started many years ago, before I started drinking. I am sure that I have been drinking to keep it at bay.
Old 05-19-2008, 02:07 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hey flygirl! Guess what? I have had panic attacks while driving. As long as I was moving, (not stuck in traffic) I was OK. As soon as it stopped, I had to take deep breaths, open the window, it was HORRIBLE. I would also get them if I was on public transportation of any kind, and it stopped. Never have figured out what that was about. I would avoid the expressways, and take side streets so that I could keep moving, instead of sitting in traffic.

I can understand your not wanting to go to a meeting until your head clears. Embarrassment is a real difficult thing. However, I believe that the people in the meetings have been where you are, and they won't be judging you! I think I can honestly say that we've ALL been ashamed of our drinking. That's why we're here! You'll get no judgement here, and I don't think you'll get it there either.

But, either way, stay here...you won't regret it. It's a great lifeline.

You've gotten some wonderful advise here already! Be sure to go to the links that were provided above, they are all great. I lurked here for a couple of weeks just reading and crying before I joined. I really do think that this is one of the best things out there. While meetings are great, sometimes they aren't available at times when you need it most...this is here 24/7. Someone is always online. So, stick with it, keep your head up, keep posting, and know you are not alone.

Honu
Old 05-19-2008, 04:46 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I have had a colleague driving me for the past week. She is away today and I have to drive in myself. I am very anxious, as I always get to a certain point and can feel it start. It's terrifying. I've been awake since about 4 am with all kinds of things going through my head. I want help and am so afraid to ask for it.
Old 05-19-2008, 05:48 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
CindeRella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!

Welcome to SR Flgirl! So glad that you found us and know you are not alone
in this! There are a lot here that will offer you support.

Sorry that you are struggling right now however happy that
you have come to SR seeking support!

Check out our other forums (Alcoholism forum as Carol gave you the link) and the other stickies on the top of the forums!

Welcome glad you are here with us!
Old 05-19-2008, 05:58 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thanks Rella927. I haven't had anything to drink since early last evening. I'm feeling a little bit better.
Old 05-19-2008, 07:03 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
CindeRella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!

Originally Posted by flgirl View Post
Thanks Rella927. I haven't had anything to drink since early last evening. I'm feeling a little bit better.
:ghug3 See there you go your on your way! Keep up the good work!:bounce

Now tomorrow tell us how you have not had anything for 2 days ...then 3....
Old 05-19-2008, 09:00 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

flgrl
Our alcoholism has DEFINETLY exacerbated our anxiety. This is as progressive for me as my alcoholism has been. Sometimes I lock up. I was never like this until I began drinking heavily. When drunk it also brings on bouts of extreme paranoia. I was never paranoia until my drinking escalated. It can be very disturbing.