Notices

Hello, and an introduction.

Old 05-03-2008, 12:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Couldn't think of a better nam

Hello, and an introduction.

Just wanted to introduce myself. Last night I made the decision to become sober and I'm scared to death. I've been an alcoholic, consuming 10-18 beers a night, for the past 7 or 8 years. Just wanted to say hello, and I hope we can all be good neighbors online, as a friend of mine says.

I've been reading since last night everything I could find online. I am excited to get my life back, after not having had much of one the past couple of years. I'm afraid I'm going to lose my boyfriend and my job, having already lost some friends and the trust of my family. Just gotta take a deep breath and get this thing done. Thanks for having a place for someone like me.

Lori
Old 05-03-2008, 01:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

Welcome

have you told your b/f about your decision to stop drinking? It's very beneficial for you to have support.
Old 05-03-2008, 01:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Nice to meet you Lori. Another newbie here. Yes, get all the suppport you can (what I am trying to do here)
Old 05-03-2008, 01:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Captain Zing - yes, we have talked about it exhaustingly! He is going to be there for me, no matter what. Unless the "no matter what" means me continuing down this path, in which case I know he'll leave me, and I would not blame him one bit.

And thanks for the welcome, Ravensoul -- ironically, I was just reading your story! As most of the posters echoed, "that reminds me of myself." I am also concerned with the detoxing and not being able to sleep. I'm a full time student, and already in serious trouble over my attendance record (surprise, surprise), so I'm scared to death that I will be in worse shape than normal come Monday morning. Besides that, I'm being trained in surgery and doing rotations, and having shaky hands is something that could be a serious problem for my patients. Scary, huh. I guess I'll have to play that by ear. If I'm not feeling well, my instructors will allow me to observe.

Thanks so much for the replies. It's an amazing feeling just to know I'm not alone.
Old 05-03-2008, 01:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

With that said, I must say, I love the name.

Try to look at your Recovery this way, Hamburger Helper is complete when you add the hamburger. Lori will be complete with much love, support,friendship, understanding, wisdom, strength and hope that we have to offer here!

You said something that has me a little confused, what did you mean by " Unless the no matter what means continuing down his path . . . . " If you don't mind me asking.

Stick around, keep reading and posting. Hope is found here!

God Bless & Thank God . . . Just for Today,
Judy
Old 05-03-2008, 01:59 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you Judy! That's such a nice way of looking at things.

I should have said "unless I continue down the path of self-destruction that I've been on these past few years." I can see why you were confused - LOL!

Lori
Old 05-03-2008, 02:00 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Lori and Welcome,

I still remember how really scary it was to know I wasn't going to drink anymore, but somehow I had to deal with all the messes that I'd made. But, you can get through this. It's great if you have your boyfriend's support too.

The sleep will come, but it may take awhile to settle down to a normal routine.

Be patient with yourself and things will work out.
Old 05-03-2008, 02:01 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hello Lori and welcome to SR.
Stacks of info here and loads of decent folk to offer help,
support and advice, best wishes.
Old 05-03-2008, 02:20 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

Admitting you've got a problem with drinking is the hardest part.

Deep down, I knew I had a drinking problem but, wasn't willing to accept it.

I'd suggest trying an AA meeting. Go with an open mind. Look for the similarities of the people in the meeting.

Like it says in the Big Book of AA most of us tried to prove we could drink like other men and women but, we couldn't!
Old 05-03-2008, 03:45 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Welcome to SR
Old 05-03-2008, 04:32 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Want to say Hi and Welcome.

By the way, just love your user name.
Old 05-04-2008, 03:45 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Glad you are here with us...
Welcome to our community!
Old 05-04-2008, 03:55 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

HH, welcome, and love the name!

rz
Old 05-04-2008, 11:36 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Quitting drinking is scary. I'm starting over again with day one after a relapse. I have to surrender my will to my Higher Power to make it this time. All the best to you!:ghug
Old 05-04-2008, 11:46 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi there:

Welcome to you HH!!! This place is a wealth of information and great people...though I have only recently discovered the site, I have found much inspiration and help...May it do the same for you.
Old 05-04-2008, 12:46 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thanks so much for all the replies and encouragement! I have been cutting way way down on my drinking, but have not yet quit altogether. I'm going to my first AA meeting tomorrow, and I've found one that works with my schedule best. My sister is also beginning AA, and although we can't attend together right now due to our work and school schedules and her being a single mum, we are going to be there for each other. You're right, it's very very scary - I figure it will either be the hardest thing I've ever done, or not as hard as I imagine.

Least, I'm glad you are posting on here. As someone else has already pointed out, we CAN do this. We will. What is the alternative? For me, it's grim.

Best regards,
Lori, not a big fan of Hamburger Helper, but the term makes me smile. Some day I *will* help the Hamburgers, I promise.