Notices

Social groups

Old 03-06-2008, 04:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Social groups

Hey everyone,

Been wondering if anyone can recommend some social groups as a means of passing time or exploring interests. Outdoor groups, volunteer work come to mind but would like to get more thoughts/ideas. I know choices are different depending on area, but I live in a fairly large metropolitan area.

The reason I ask is I just moved to a new area where the only people I know are hours away. I'm finding that's its easier to combat my addictions when I have something to fill up my spare time on the evenings/weekends.

Thanks.
Old 03-06-2008, 05:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

I refreshed my reading tutor licence.

I haven't started back doing that yet ... but I will.

But then , I'm in AA ... there's a ton of socializing there.
And through there.
And associated with that.

To tie in with service work and helping others there's adopting the highway programs, Special Olympics, adopting rivers, trail maintenence (with the US Forest Service) if you're outdoorsey... volunteering at your local animal shelter ... if you own a mountain bike, there's usually riding groups that meet through a gym or bike shope in the area, they're m/f/ or mixed groups and often are rated by ability ... I live in MT so the 'great outdoors is pretty much at your back door.

You're also pretty much on youre own and better know a bear track from a mountain lion track when you see one as well as a wolf track from a collie.

If you ARE in a REALLY big area check at your local REI store, or LL Bean ... maybe even something like Padagonia ... depending like I say , your region.

I hope that helps!

Last edited by barb dwyer; 03-06-2008 at 05:17 AM.
Old 03-06-2008, 05:07 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Naturally Occuring Phenomenon

if you live in a large metropolitan area, check locally in the phone book, on the internet, or check your local library bulletin board. Try some karate or yoga or painting classes; I'm sure that there are some in your area.