Notices

Advice on returning to working life after drink

Old 02-06-2008, 01:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Advice on returning to working life after drink

Hi there,

Hmmm where to start? Well to cut a long story short I was sacked from my last job due to my drink problem. Up until then i had pretty much covered it up for around 5years so it was a bit of a kick in the teeth. Yet i'm glad, in a strange way as it did force me to take alot of things into account and get myself sorted, and I'm going on 7 months without a drink.

I was fired in 2005 and in between relapses I has been contracting in my current field( IT support). This wasnt working so I sold what I had and with the help of my partner spent the last year really dealing with my issues instead of just sweeping them under the carpet and hoping they would go away.

Now i'm feeling really confident with my drink problem another issue has cropped up. How to return to full time employment. Until now i have pretty much been lying and cheating my way through contract interviews, usually the contracts are so short term that i could get away with it. Even thinking about a full time job interview fills me with the same feeling of failure that I would get with a return to drinking, its really frightening to be honest.

So I thought i'd ask for some advice in getting back into the flow of things again. Advice how to approach the subject on a CV/interview or any fellow members experiences on this would be amazing help. just so i can start to get my head around it.

thanks in advance

Paul
Old 02-06-2008, 08:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

Contract sounds like a way to go. If you can find a temp to perm contract that would be an even better starting place.
The temp contract gives us a place to prove we have changed...shows others how good we can be and on that time we can get into a perm position.

As for how to handle an interview... Headhunters for contract work are more open minded so the truth won't scare them off. With some time under our belts and our contract work as proof of our abilities... a CV/interview can be done with the truth on our lips as well.
Old 02-06-2008, 09:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to our recovery community, Paul.
Old 02-07-2008, 04:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks loads for the advice there Best definately gives me hope.... so i'll stick with the contracts for now and treat it like everything else, one day at a time

and Hello and thank you for the welcome Rowan
Old 02-07-2008, 05:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Philippines/Canada

Just try to take it easy with part time or short days if possible for the first little while. Dont get too loaded down and stressed
Old 02-07-2008, 09:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Illegitimi Non Carborundum

Never lie in a job interview...

First of all, people always find out sooner or later... Second, the loss of self-respect and integrity isn't worth the momentary gain... Third, its simply the right thing to do.

If drinking was the reason for your last termination, its almost certain to come up one way or another... That is a tough one.... All I can say is be honest.

Pray about it the night before the interview. The right words will come.

"...Well, I'm not going to lie to you... I had gotten myself caught up in something that was trying to kill me, and when I was fired, I finally and fully admitted to myself that I am an alcoholic... I am now in recovery and will be for the rest of my life... I've been sober seven months now, life is looking a lot better these days, I certainly feel a whole lot better about myself, and I'm trying to rebuild..." and then finish with a confident, pleasant smile.

I think people will probably appreciate the honesty... Remember, there's no shame in being an alcoholic if you admit it, seek help, and stay in recovery...
Old 02-07-2008, 11:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hi Paul....Welcome to SR!

I found an interesting job...
by tellling my fellow AA members I needed one.

Congratulations on your sober time!
Old 02-07-2008, 11:44 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

I dunno ... 'why were you fired?'
Do they actually SAY that any more?
Even in Montana they don't up and say that....

Why not trust HP to guide your actions?
If the job is *for* you ... you've *got* the job.

*shrug*

just tryin' ta keep it simple.