Notices

A quick update......

Old 02-07-2008, 03:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A quick update......

some people will remember I made a post feeling very low not too long ago.

Well I'm pleased to say I'm still sober and things are going well, the family is all speaking to me again and I feel much better and much happier. I still have had the urge to drink at times but when I have forced myself to examine the reasons why, it passed.

My urges seem to be because of boredom, if something has not gone right that day, I have achieved a lot that day - earned a drink. etc etc I still get angry over things but I don't drink so its manageable, and might be something I need to look at separately.

I have been for a meal with my girlfriend a couple of times and resisted the urge to have my usual 4-5 pints of larger before going home and going to the shop for more. So I have not been actively avoiding drink.

My girlfriends grandmother is been remarkably supportive which I found very surprising until I was told her brother died through drink and her mother put her in a home when she was a kid. I seem to have earned respect for noticing a problem and taking the action to rectify it.

Overall I'm amazed that just one change can make life so much better, I thought I would post an update anyway. Also thanks to the people on here for listening when I was at a very low point and had nowhere to turn.

Old 02-07-2008, 04:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Wow, Michael, I hope that you are the proudest pup in the lot right now. You "identified " your triggers, honoured them for what they 'were' to you, and then moved to a better place. ! Way to go.

There is no greater medicine in this entire planet than prevention, and you have the insight and the foresight to decide not to compromise your present success. Bored? go count grass blades (or in my case, snow flakes) until the cows come home. beats giving up all you have gained, including the respect from the Grandma.
In spirit, Stonewolf
Old 02-07-2008, 04:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Michael,

Great post!

Every single change we make in our lives causes other changes too and I think things will keep getting better.

I'm glad you found support from your girlfriend's grandmother.
Old 02-07-2008, 07:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
where the light is

Nice post Micheal,

Really sounds like things are progressing nicely for you. I really find that our Elders have so much wisdom.

Congratulations!
Old 02-07-2008, 11:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Keep in focus...Sobriety is soooo worthwhile!
Old 02-07-2008, 11:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

Michael - thank you for checking in!

Glad to hear things moving ahead for you!
Old 02-08-2008, 03:06 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Recovery rocks! Way to go!