Notices

I know I am not unique, but...

Old 02-05-2008, 12:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I know I am not unique, but...

I am wondering if I could get some feedback on a problem that I am having. I am constantly reminded that I am not unique, and a lot of what I am experiencing is normal but I have doubts in my mind whether this problem is indeed normal. I have been having suicidal thoughts quite frequently lately. I have a history of suicidal ideation, and it seems to come and go in terms of severity. I told my sponsor last night that I was having these thoughts, and he suggested I call my doctor. I don't necessarily feel that I will act on these thoughts, but they are scary, and they are persistant. I have 69 days sober, and I don't really know what to do about this problem.

When I have them, I get even more depressed and then my mind starts spinning. I don't want to drink but I also don't like this feeling and these thoughts. I remembered yesterday that the last time I had any sobriety (about 20 days a year ago) I had the same thoughts and I picked up to make them stop. I am seeing a social worker/ psychologist but only every 2-3 weeks. I am not sure what to do, and I wasn't able to get a good answer from my sponsor. Anyone have any advise? Is this normal?

I was told that this will pass, but I am a little scared and I wonder if I should do something about it. Thanks in advance!
Old 02-05-2008, 12:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

You could have a medical depression of sorts and your sponsor gave you the best advise available... A talk with your Dr ...and learning coping skills or if needed...an RX to balance out things if you have a chemical imbalance if that is what causes your depression.
It all may pass as you gain more and more sober time and skills but it may not as well. 3 weeks, 3 months...3 years? I would talk with the DR now rather then wait out to see if it passes with time because we never know how much time it could take or even if it will pass on it's own.
Old 02-05-2008, 12:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't know if it's normal, but I would definitely not wait to see if suicidal thoughts will pass.

Please check out this sticky:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-suicidal.html
Old 02-05-2008, 12:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I've got a history of depression and suicidal ideation. Couple attempts, too. It's always best to discuss this with your doctor, as have I. Although it was 'normal' for me to go through this, and the ideation has lessened tremendously the longer I have been sober, it's a troublesome place to be.
I'm glad you shared this. Don't let your fear of being 'unique' hold you back.
Old 02-05-2008, 01:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Naturally Occuring Phenomenon

i have this same issue sometimes. i had the same issue when i was drunk all the time too. i know i would never act on any of these thoughts for life is too precious, however they are a bother...best way i deal with them is just trying to get out of my head by keeping busy...