Notices

Drinking Dream Gave Me a Hangover!

Old 02-01-2008, 09:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Bring Laughter Wherever You Go

Drinking Dream Gave Me a Hangover!

Whenever I quit drinking I get those awful drinking dreams. The ones where you wake up totally terrified and wonder 'OMG...did I drink last night? Because I usually blackout, those thoughts are not easily quashed. I have to sit and think and think about it. Of coarse, the way I feel usually is a dead give-away because I don't have a hangover so I know I didn't drink.
But last night was different....and AWFUL!
I had the worst drinking dream EVER. Before going to bed I read a post about a man who...as a result of his drinking....was responsible for the death of his two babies. I was so upset that I couldn't do anything but cry for at least an hour after reading that......I am a new Mom, my baby girl is 6 months old......my husband and I tried for 10 years to have a baby and we finally did, and STILL I battle with the bottle...............anyways.......I read this post before going to bed and when I finally got to sleep I dreamed that I caused the death of my daughter while drinking.....I had accidentally suffocated her........I woke up in the middle of the night and immediately ran to the bathroom and was sick to my stomach......I was so upset by this dream I threw up several times (I haven't had a drink in 6 days). I then fell back to sleep and continued to have drinking dreams. When I woke up at 6am, I felt as though I had the worse hangover of my life. It is now 12:15pm and I am still 'hungover'. I am SO sick, and every symptom I have is exactly like a hangover....I don't have the flu.....I believe I have an emotional hangover.
WOW......our subconscience is so very strong. As much as I hate the dreams I had last night, and as much as I hate how I feel right now, I am also grateful, because in the back of my mind I was planning on drinking tonight, but since waking up this morning....I couldn't have a drink if my life depended on it.....I am so sick.
I believe my drinking dream has given me another day of sobriety.
I am an emotional wreak today.....after reading that awful post last night, I did some research this morning on alcohol induced blackouts....WOW.....I never want to be in a blackout again. I don't want to hurt my child while in a blackout....and I ALWAYS blackout when drinking.
So here I am, actually grateful today for this hangover. I just put the baby down for her nap, had a piece of bread (that is all I can keep down) am going to lay down and try to catch a quick nap......and STAY SOBER TODAY!
Old 02-01-2008, 09:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey Tay, I am sorry, but I am so glad you are sober. I have had similiar dreams and even once felt "hung over" the next day, so I can totally relate. Just know they will pass in time and I find that the longer I am sober, the less I am afraid of them. Take care of yourself and your precious daughter.
Old 02-01-2008, 07:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Made it through another day sober! Tomorrow is day 7.....WOW, longest period yet since I started drinking again.
Old 02-02-2008, 07:10 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congrats! Today is my day 7! am also amazed i haven't drank anything...I guess i was still in denial because i figured it would be easy..Now i see when it isn't around i think about it all the time! I used to think i could take it or leave it

Boy was i wrong

I have dreams about drinking too..I have only blacked out a few times..I usually dream i try to sneak drinks when i am out with friends..I really hope the dreams stop soon because i am getting zero interrupted sleep :/
Old 02-02-2008, 03:54 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yes I have had fake hangovers too. Just don't drink, they will go away.
Old 02-02-2008, 04:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
29a
God is my benzo

Early in sobriety I had frequent drinking dreams and a rough time sleeping in general. Both of which seem to be common complaints for those newly sober. After time, the dreams come further and further apart and sleep in general becomes much easier as does life in general. Early sobriety is not easy, but it's worth it. Hang in there guys, and congratulations.
Old 02-02-2008, 04:20 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Naturally Occuring Phenomenon

a good reminder I reckon. I'd rather dream than not sleep....
Old 02-03-2008, 05:53 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yes, and I'd rather have drinking dreams than drink!
Old 02-03-2008, 09:37 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Anxiety King

Weird...that just happend to me this morning. I don't remember if I was drinking in any dreams (I have a hard time remembering dreams), but I woke up feeling like I tied a good one on last night. Eyes red and puffy, stuffed up like I had been in a smokey bar, and a little headache...must be a little reminder from my HP to remember how much it sucks waking up with a hangover.
Old 02-04-2008, 09:46 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Anxiety King

Ok, I finally had my first drinking dream since I've quit. I don't remember actually drinking in it, just the next morning after drinking. I was so upset with myself for slipping up. Then I woke up. Relieved that it was just a dream.

I think it was my subconscience talking to me. I took a 'nap' after work, but slept much longer than I wanted, and thus missed my AA meeting tonight.

(I had only meant to slept an hour, but slept four hours. My allergies were terrible today, so I took a Benedryl earlier and was exausted when I got home)