Notices

Is it normal to have severe anxiety 6 weeks after quiting

Old 02-04-2008, 09:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Is it normal to have severe anxiety 6 weeks after quiting

For the last three years I have had this foggy headed, pressure feeling in my head with floaters, anxiety and panic attacks, and fatigue. I used to have real bad lapses of slurred speech or pronouncing words in weird ways after staring at a screen for too long. I know my co workers think I'm half retarted probally. It began about a 3 months after I began drinking alcohol. I was a pretty heavy drinker. I used to drink a 24 pack of beer in a single sitting on friday and saturdays for about two years. About a year ago I slowed my drinking down to only a 12 pack on saturdays only. I felt slightly better and my symptom of slurred speech improved dramtically. I still get it in stressfull situations though, but not as bad. One of my friends mentioned to me that my symptoms may be caused by my drinking. So, I quit drinking cold turkey about 6 weeks ago. It has been total hell with extreme anxiety and panic attacks, I feeling sick and nausiated a lot of the time. I was wondering if anyone has had a simular experience caused by alcohol and how long does it take before my alcohol withdrawl symptoms will go away.
Old 02-04-2008, 09:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

You should talk to your dr about the physical and mental problems you are experiencing.

In general, I think the physical part of withdrawl would be finished long before 6 weeks, but your dr will be able to give you the advice you need.
Old 02-04-2008, 12:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 6 weeks!!!

I have been experiencing anxiety since I quite >100 days ago. Right after I quit I felt pretty good actually, I was probably riding high on how great it was that I was sober. After a week or so, however, I started having some serious emotional swings accompanied with a lot of anxiety. I chalk it up to being forced to deal with all my emotions and problems and not being able to escape into alcohol. These symptoms have slowly decreased,though, and I'm feeling better every day.

You should definitely see your doctor if you need help.
Old 02-05-2008, 12:20 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

hi wishmaster -

welcome to SR, congratulations on your sobriety - and yes I agree that you should tell your medical professional about the anxiety and symptoms .. and finally - yes.
I don't think it's so much 'normal' as it is 'common'.
Old 02-05-2008, 12:36 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Recovering Alcoholic/Addict

Welcome to SR!

Definitely talk with a doctor about how you're feeling...alcohol is a powerful and dangerous drug.

Congrats on your newfound sobriety!