Notices

Recommendations for 2nd night of sobriety...

Old 01-19-2008, 07:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Recommendations for 2nd night of sobriety...

Hi all,

I just joined today and had my first day of sobriety yesterday. Yesterday was fairly easy - I likely still had alcohol in my system from the night before and was really tired from not sleeping properly the night before. My concern is for tonight. A) It's Saturday night. B) My partner just moved out this week and it's my first weekend on my own. c) I generally find 'day 2' pretty difficult, especially given that my pattern was to drink basically every other night.

I'm just wondering if anyone has any tips for me in getting through tonight. I have a bit of a 'plan', as follows:

1) bottle of perrier chilling in the fridge. And a lemon.
2) Handful of videos (haven't gotten them yet but will)
3) A new wii game (gotta love the wii! that can absorb you for hours!)
4) Possibly some chocoloate (is that a good or bad idea... not sure)

During the day I'm fine. I plan to head to the gym, get a stock of things in the house but once sun goes down I'm in dangerous territory. I've only ever been a night drinker.

Just wondering if anyone else out there has any tips on how to deal with my addiction tonight?

Thanks in advance!

pancake
Old 01-19-2008, 08:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Pancake,

You can never go wrong with chocolate! :day4

It sounds like you have a great plan in place. Doing anything to take your mind off drinking, even for a few minutes, is great. Do you have anyone to call if you feel like it? If not, you can hang out here for awhile. There are always people around and we do understand what you are going through.
Old 01-19-2008, 08:06 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

great, thanks a lot anna. chocolate is on my list now for sure. and i will definitely swing by here tonight.

thanks again.
Old 01-19-2008, 08:22 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

oh, by the way, other great recommendations (for myself, and others) is this herbal tea called 'nighty night.' I drank that last night around 10 o clock - it has hops in it (amongst other sleep-inducing herbs) and it works REALLY well in a) inducing a restful sleep and b) in quelling the anxiety that inevitably comes up for me on night 2 (or night 3 or 4 or 5... anxiety is one of the reasons I drink). So, I've got that on standby as well as a more 'hardcore' version of that, something called sleep + a natural sleep aid which also contains hop but also contains scullcap which seems to affect me pretty strongly (as a relaxant/sleep aid).

Because ya, it's the getting through the night AND it's the getting to sleep at the end of getting through the night that's always a challenge! There's my two cents around that.

pancake
Old 01-19-2008, 08:36 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Go to starbucks and get a caramel frappuccino and then go rent a movie. After that go to bed. The sugar from the caramel frappuccino will make you feel better. It did for me. I've been drinking one everyday for about a month!
Old 01-19-2008, 09:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I would do something physical in the day time, so by the time night time rolled around I would be tired and looking to wind down. Watching a good movie and eating some of your favorite food sounds good. I've always found the second day of detoxing to be the worse.......
Old 01-19-2008, 09:43 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

thanks for the new suggestions folks. i'm actually off to the gym right now!
Old 01-19-2008, 10:55 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Here is a link full of info on de toxing

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html

Welcome to SR!
Old 01-20-2008, 07:05 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi all,

I'm happy to report that I made it through the night. The symptoms weren't that bad at all, very manageable. I had nausea, extreme indigestion/upset stomach and I didn't sleep very well but who cares! I didn't drink. And of course I was triggered earlier in the evening (there are always triggers, aren't there?) by something (more like someone) upsetting but I resisted. Partially too because I knew if I caved I'd have to post it here. I hadn't realized the power of the online forum.

Thanks to everyone for their tips, advice, info/links & support. I really appreciate it!

pancake, day 3
Old 01-20-2008, 10:07 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hey, that's good news!

Yes, there are always triggers, but you will find better ways to deal with things as time goes on. You're doing great!
Old 01-20-2008, 04:37 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

lol yes we are watching you pancakes
Old 01-20-2008, 05:11 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi Pancake -

Good luck on your second night (too!)

Tonight is my second night of not drinking after (35) of drinking straight - I had a bad trigger (interpersonal) so it was really hard for me to deal with it. Sorry about your partner...I hope it isn't super bad to deal with.
Old 01-21-2008, 05:10 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the good wishes. Nice to know that people going through similiar stuff are out there. Dyson, things could definitely be worse with my partner, thanks for asking. Of course they could be better too, but that's a whole other story...

Night's 3 & 4 of not drinking are actually getting worse for me... I'm not having any physical symptoms (like nauseau, etc) but I am craving alcohol somethin' fierce. All I want to do is drink. And smoke. I can practically (actually, I really can) taste it. I think 3 & 4 are tougher too because yesterday was Sunday and I always get a bit blue on Sunday and today's Monday and it feels like there's a long week ahead... and being sober , it feels like there's more time all of a sudden, ya know?

But, every morning that I wake up semi-refreshed and not hungover is a victory. It's just that I'm finding the nights kind of long and the cravings are baaad.

How are you holding up, Dyson?

pancake