Notices

Did something other than AA work for you?

Old 01-07-2008, 06:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Did something other than AA work for you?

I'm curious, because I don't feel inclined to go the AA route, although I respect the value of the program to those people who have chosen to do that and have been successful.

It seems to me that many, if not most, people in here are strong advocates of AA. I respectfully ask those people not to reply to this thread. (I expect I'll learn as much from the silent responses to this question as to the actual responses, anyway.)

I really would like to hear about any alternative programs that worked.

Thanks!
Old 01-07-2008, 06:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I went to therapy and found that to be helpful for me. I think it might have been the one on one that helped.

There is a few here that support other programs.
Old 01-07-2008, 06:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Some things that have been helpful to me:
Intensive Outpatient Program (IOP)
individual therapy
weekly aftercare meetings for IOP "alumni"
online recovery support- this site; recovery-related groups on social networking sites
LOTS of reading- memoirs by alcoholics and addicts, non-fiction titles; Sober For Good (Fletcher) was especially helpful

What's helped me the most is addressing the circumstances, feelings, etc.. that I sometimes drank over. Getting active to combat bordeom, relearning healthy coping skills to address stress and tension, finding new ways (or returning to old) to have fun or celebrate without alcohol.

I hope this helps. I too am looking forward to reading the responses to this thread. Disclaimer: I do attend AA meetings for social support but don't consider myself a subscriber to the AA "program" of recovery.

Last edited by Autopathography; 01-07-2008 at 06:34 PM. Reason: Edited for spelling
Old 01-07-2008, 06:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I ...just quit. But it was either quit or die really. What helped me and kept me focused until the change 'took' was coming here and helping others...sounds goofy but it works for me. Now...my life is so different, I find it hard to see how alcohol would fit...but I keep alert anyway. There is no need for me to drink alcohol...ever.

I've also done a lot of work on myself - it's obvious to me now that alcoholism is just a symptom of what I was going through...what I'm still going through I guess cos I don't think the healing, the rebuilding ever stops.

Dunno LOL - no clear manifesto here I guess - but I believe everyone has to find what works for them

good luck
D
Old 01-07-2008, 06:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I pretty much echo what Dee said.

I had about three years sober on my own before I found SR, and I've been here more than 4 years. It's my lifeline.

But, I do focus on my recovery every day.
Old 01-07-2008, 06:58 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Captain Lurker

IOP and group therapy was my route. I also did alot of reading, mostly on self esteem issues, I did read 1 book on alcoholism "Many Roads One Journey" by Charlotte Kasl and believe it or not "The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People" by Stephan Covey, which allowed me to learn to let go and live.
Now I find that yoga has given me inner strength, I don't know if I can explain what it does for me (I guess it is still a mystery for me, dunno).

I hope this helps
Old 01-07-2008, 07:00 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Oh books, yes definitely.

"The Seat of the Soul" by Gary Zukav - a gentle book about finding your soul's path. It gave me the insight I needed to get started.
Old 01-07-2008, 07:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Alcohol worked for me, I drank enough of it to be left with two choices: Spiritual Living or Death, Real glad I went for option one.
Old 01-07-2008, 07:22 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

me too I just didn't need AA or the Big Book to do it - which is the point of this thread...

Not many books resonated with me - two that did were Caroline Knapp's book 'Drinking: A Love Affair' and, on a different level, Allen Carr's book 'Easy Way to Control Alcohol' which, for all it's many flaws, at least convinced me I never 'needed' to drink again

D
Old 01-07-2008, 07:42 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

You should probably post this in the secular forum.
Old 01-07-2008, 08:01 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

I deleted my original comment to avoid further thread hijacking.
This is a good and valid topic in the Newbie forum - it should be allowed to run its course unmolested IMO

D
Old 01-07-2008, 08:08 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

I have enjoyed reading the responses to the question. It is amazing how many different roads to recovery that there are. I find that a positive thing because each person is different what does not work for one might work for another. I am just happy to see each of you have found a path the works for you. Thank you for posting your replies. By the way I am an AA'r but have a huge amount of respect for those who were able to find other solutions.

51Anna, I love the book "Seat of the Soul" by Gary Zurkav. I started reading it right before I got sober. I think it has contributed to my sobriety as well as helping me to gain a sense of self I did not have prior to reading it. I actually pulled it out 3 days ago so I could read it again.
Old 01-08-2008, 02:55 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Very interesting! Some of the books some of you mentioned are ones I had read and enjoyed/benefited from years ago....Zukav's and Knapp's books, for example. And others that have been mentioned are ones I currently have on order from Amazon. I'm going to go get the old ones off my shelf to read again while I wait for the new ones to come in...

And Krissy, your suggestion about yoga reminds me that I did yoga years ago, loved it, and never drank then. Yes. There is some undescribable benefit to yoga. I know what you mean.

And Rob, I love the wry tone of your simple, but to-the-point advice. I can relate to the idea of coming to a crossroads and realizing that one path leads to life, the other to misery at the least, and at worst, death.

Thank you very much for all of your helpful, thought-provoking replies.

BTW, those that liked Zukav's Seat of the Soul might also like Thomas Moore's Care of the Soul.
Old 01-08-2008, 03:12 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Yes I know what you mean about AA....

Almost none of us liked the self-searching, the leveling of our pride, the confession of shortcomings which the process requires for its successful consummation. But we saw that it really worked in others, and we had come to believe in the hopelessness and futility of life as we had been living it. When, therefore, we were approached by those in whom the problem had been solved, there was nothing left for us but to pick up the simple kit of spiritual tools laid at out feet. We have found much of heaven and we have been rocketed into a fourth dimension of existence of which we had not even dreamed.

Going to AA is entirly a personal chioce and yes your going to find strong advocates of AA because it works. At least it worked for me and like the above paragraph says I went to AA and the problem was solved. Good Luck on your journey and I do hope you find the emerald city along the way because there is no place like home.
Old 01-08-2008, 03:28 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

I did not go to AA to get clean.

I did seek alternative medical treatment to get my body healthy and psychotherapy to get my head straightened out ...it took some time but it was worth it. I am so glad I am not a drunk anymore 21 years clean here....
Old 01-08-2008, 03:34 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

trakin, I am one who believes that we are like Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz...searching for something we had the whole time. The power is in you to take control of your life....you need to want to stay sober MORE than you want to drink. Stay strong in your resolve and always remember where you have been. For me remembering the pain I was in, the despair I felt and the places I went in my own mind is enough to keep me sober.

HOWEVER...I do attend aa, to remind myself I am not alone, to keep it green if you will.

It is not the right path for all, only you can judge that! Best of luck to you!
Old 01-08-2008, 03:45 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Old 01-08-2008, 05:07 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I'm curious, because I don't feel inclined to go the AA route, although I respect the value of the program to those people who have chosen to do that and have been successful.
Hey Trakin, hope you find a way which helps you to recover from your condition. Though I'm an AAer myself I hope you don't mind that I post simply on a "point of information".

I wasn't "inclined" to use AA either. When I did get sober it wasn't because I had "chosen" to go to AA. It was because I had drunk away all of my choices. I think perhaps your frame of reference, that those of us in AA opted for it because somehow it suited us better than SMART or RR or simple spontaneous remission is a bit, well, flawed. I found recovery when I was forced to stop treating it as a form of shopping. Recovery isn't consumerism. That's not to say that AA is the only way. But what everyone who successfully quits alcohol and enters recovery has in common is that they treat it very, very seriously. We all do what we have to do to get and stay sober. And we rule NOTHING out.
Old 01-08-2008, 05:23 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hmmm...
I've used many other components in conjunction
with my AA committment.

Reading....psychotherapy....internet support sites.
my religion...a dash of SMART and a deep
unshakable spiritual connection to God.

...I refuse to limit my recovery!
Old 01-08-2008, 05:43 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

The person who stood by me and helped me see the error of my ways was an AA person but I never went to formal meetings. His input and my reaching a point of realizing that alcohol and continuing life do not mix well is what brought me to the point of stopping the alcohol intake.

Alcohol intake was only part of my problems.
It took me reading the bible and accepting the Lord before I started to change from the inside out and acquired a better outlook at life, better attitude, and much better behaviors. I found out at a later time that the same lessons I learned from reading the bible are the same lessons people can learn by working the 12 steps used by many recovery programs.

Believe in God or not.... the bible is filled with solid wisdom on how to live a quality life.
Believe in AA or not... the things that people can learn through the 12 steps are filed with solid wisdom on how to live a better quality life.

There are many types of recovery programs and some may say...8 steps or no steps but all tend to follow the same basic rules.
Look some place beyond your normal self to gather in your strength and support from. (inner strength is beyond our normal self) God of "your" understanding is beyond yourself. Good orderly direction is something that we can see as being beyond ourself.

and another major rule that you see in most every program...
Treat others as you woud want others treating you.

Collect the tools from any and all places you can find them.
The key is...use what works and stay the course.