Notices

How long til I'm no longer a "Newcomer"?

Old 01-03-2008, 08:36 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

There was an Oldtimer in my hometown area called Humble Bill (believe me, he was anything but). However, in spite of his bragaddocio attitude, he really did have good sobriety. He always said he was no more sober than the person walking in the door for the first time...he just had more experience at it.

When he passed away, we got together at one of the larger meeting halls, and just sat around recounting story after story of our memories of Humble Bill. A lot of laughter filled that room!
Old 01-03-2008, 02:57 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

I am always covered in something New

My sponsor once siad that the tag Newcomer is short lived and then comes early recovery.

Kevin
Old 01-03-2008, 02:58 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

And who cares as long as I am clean and growing
Old 01-03-2008, 03:27 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

Originally Posted by nogard View Post
I am always covered in something New
and in recovery...the stuff we are covered with doesn't smell like what we were covered in before finding recovery *LMAO*
Old 01-03-2008, 03:28 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

lol best, no the perfume of recovery is much sweeter
Old 01-04-2008, 07:04 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Keep Coming Back And Listen To Your Heart.........you Have Control About Deciding Where You Want To Be...............know You Are Loved Here....

Little Penguin
Old 01-04-2008, 08:02 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I wasn't planning to leave the site- I was just thinking of moving to "alcoholism" or the "women only" forum. Sorry if that wasn't clear!
Old 01-04-2008, 10:26 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Originally Posted by LauraSFO1 View Post
I wasn't planning to leave the site- I was just thinking of moving to "alcoholism" or the "women only" forum. Sorry if that wasn't clear!
Please feel free to post in other sections. Everyone is welcome. I post in many different areas including here. We would be glad for you to join in the discussions in other areas, there is always room for one more.
Old 01-04-2008, 10:58 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Evolving Addict

I don't believe any of us "graduate" or ever reach a point where there isn't more to learn, experience or areas to grow in...but I also believe that the term "newcomer" (as it relates to the recovery process) means just what it says - someone who is new at coming into the process. For example: If you've joined a 12 step program for the 1st time and are unfamiliar with it, you're certainly a newcomer, IMO. It is also my view that once we've been around for a while and become involved in step work, service, etc... we can shed the newcomer tag because what we're doing isn't foriegn anymore. That's why I guess they refer to members in my area who relapsed after extended periods of recovery as "repeat offenders." (LOL!!)

On the other hand, there was an Oldtimer in my fellowship who would always say that you're a newcomer as long as you say you're one because more is always being revealed.

Here's an excerpt I often refer sponsees to when they ask the question you asked:

"It takes them time to realize that we, the "oldtimers" with three or six or ten years clean, often place personalities before principles or suffer from some other unslightly character defects." ~Just For Today, page 170~

Then I tell them to just keep coming back and keep coming back clean and eventually no one will question your status...especially YOU.