Notices

If I Don't Drink....Then What?

Old 01-02-2008, 10:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
In a state of here and now...

So much of drinking/abuse is part of my daily routine. I get home, make a drink, turn on the TV and all is well. It's become akin to brushing my teeth in the morning.

So what do you guys replace your addiction with? What sort of hobbies/interests/etc have you found that let you deal with not drinking/using? It seems as though everything I turn to, I used to do with a drink in my hand. I really have no idea what to do with "sober free time".

(FYI - I'm not a huge fan of AA meetings, so while a good suggestion, probably not my cup o' tea right now...)

Thanks in advance for suggestions and information.
Old 01-02-2008, 10:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

hi coquette,
I was a 24/7 drinker...I didn't do AA...what I did do was promise myself that any of the 100,000 excuses or reasons I had to drink in the past would not be valid anymore.
No matter what, I was done with that.

I also tried to do some serious work on myself too - I'm of the opinion alcoholism is really a symptom of something deeper, so I spent a lot of time here...I not only helped myself through helping others, but I didn't have time to drink

good luck

D
Old 01-02-2008, 11:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

As long as I don't drink I can do all sorts of things
that interest me.

Gee! I have gone back to school, changed job fields
taken Red Cross and other volunteer committments,
learned to fish...target shoot..Scuba dive.
became a community activist...and more

My sober world is full of fascinating things

and Yes! AA is my recovery program.
That's the spark that allows me freedom and joy!

Blessings

Last edited by CarolD; 01-02-2008 at 11:29 PM.
Old 01-02-2008, 11:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

heehee.

I like this.

You know ... drinking?
*hold out one hand*

and you know ... everything else in the world?
*hold out the other hand*

When we're drinking .. that's all we have.
*drop one hand*

when we quit ... and take our lives back ...
*Hold up the other hand*

we have everything else in the world drinking stopped us from doing.
Old 01-02-2008, 11:43 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

i have found that I can do ANYTHING in this life !!!!!!!!!!!!! except drink alcohol!

I have choices today, and the possibilities are endless!

Oh! and I am having fun getting to know ME!!!!

I am pretty cool actually, and I never knew it LOL

HUGX
Leigh
Old 01-03-2008, 12:12 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

Justme *is* pretty cool ... almost as cool as Mr. Spots.
Old 01-03-2008, 12:50 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Alcohol became such a big part of my daily routine how could I think about anything else. I liked the effect produced by alcohol so much that nothing else mattered. Sobriety had to come first. I never could find anything to replace my addiction/alcoholism. Since I got sober I have found things that I do that interest me and that I like doing far more than drinking. Good luck on finding a hobby....
Old 01-03-2008, 01:01 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Originally Posted by Coquette View Post
So much of drinking/abuse is part of my daily routine. I get home, make a drink, turn on the TV and all is well. It's become akin to brushing my teeth in the morning.

So what do you guys replace your addiction with? What sort of hobbies/interests/etc have you found that let you deal with not drinking/using? It seems as though everything I turn to, I used to do with a drink in my hand. I really have no idea what to do with "sober free time".

(FYI - I'm not a huge fan of AA meetings, so while a good suggestion, probably not my cup o' tea right now...)

Thanks in advance for suggestions and information.
Interesting questions.

I do many of the same things as I did when I was drinking only now I can actually remember and enjoy them.

I enjoy hiking, riding motorcylces with friends, camping, crabbing, spending time with my family and friends, walking my dogs, and so many other things.

The biggest difference is I am able today to do those things that I could only dream about doing when I was drinking. In sobriety I have spent a week in Mauii, gone on several vacations with friends. Took a motorcycle trip through Canada with a group of sober women. I will be going on an Alaskan cruise in June. I am back in school pursuing the career of my dreams. I have a relationship that is a real long term committment. and this list continues to grow.

Honestly I did not replace my addiction with anything. I addressed the issue of my addiction and once I did that I found I did not need to replace it as I no longer missed drinking.
Old 01-03-2008, 01:29 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

All those books we were gonna read. All those movies we were gonna watch. All those shops we never could be bothered exploring. All those plays, museums, concerts, restaurants to see and try.

Funny thing - I still haven't done most of those things. I have become a people person in my recovery. I like just being with people. Most of all I like being with people I can relate to. They do things and invite me along! They want me in their lives. Imagine that? 6 months ago I couldn't. I look forward to just being a human each day and meeting people. It gives me a sense of peace to find out about them and their lives. This is a whole new me. Honestly, I could never be bothered while I was drinking.

O and my house is really tidy - even in the cupboards. Everything is more orderly and I have started painting my outdoor furniture (it's summer here).

Like Carol, AA and SR gave me all that. O and a little book called "Under the Influence" that helped me realise that I wasn't bad - just sick.
Old 01-03-2008, 03:55 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

today, i'm able to do a whole bunch of things that couldn't be done, if was stil drinking or druging...

life!
Old 01-03-2008, 06:00 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Coquette today I do everything I did while I was drinking...... but I do it a lot better and I remember it. Due to me being sober I am now free to do anything I want to that I could not do when I was drinking.

Sit down and think about things you would like to do......... sober you can do them! When I drank it was always a good idea for me to be sitting, in others words I was incapable of doing anything that involved walking or running.

When I was drinking I could only use one hand because I had a beer in the other so I was only able to do things that involved one hand, today I can use both hands.

When I was drinking anything that involved concentration, good balance, or steady hands were out, sober they are all back in.

I spent the last 10 years of my drinking............... drinking. Today I live life!
Old 01-03-2008, 06:51 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

I felt totally lost too when I stopped drinking and to top it off, we had just moved to a new city where I didn't know anybody.

I decided to give volunteering a try and was guided into the most perfect situation where I really had to get outside of myself. Take a look around your community and see what you can offer.
Old 01-03-2008, 06:55 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Lurker

When drinking alocohol ruled my life. Now life is all in front of me. I can do any thing I want to so. I know life in front of the TV with a drink i n your hand sounds good to you now, but I promiss you that there is so much more out there.
Old 01-03-2008, 07:31 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I too found out that I am a people person. For a long time I had no friends and didn't want to be around anyone, not even family. Now I really like just being with other people who understand me, and I enjoy seeing my family. Heck, just going to a family member's house (without booze) for dinner is actually pretty fun, the stupid jokes make it even better.

I never really did much when I was drinking, people would invite me somewhere I would have to come up with an excuse. People coming to my house.... make an excuse so I can be alone. I haven't "replaced" my addiction with anything, but I do get things done now. My house is slowly taking shape, my dog is walked, my car is clean, my bed is made, dishes are done....
Old 01-03-2008, 08:04 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

I start learning to grow.

There are so many choices and if you are like me, you see so many that you can't pick one are get started.
A key would be like Nike says...Just do it.

If you would like to start a hobby...do it (start low budget to see if you like it)
If you find you don't like something...try something else.
The gym, fishing, school, crafts, woodworking, motorcycle rebuild, motorcycle rides...
Pick a dream and give it a try.

Finish this sentence...

I always wanted to....

and then start working towards that goal.
Old 01-03-2008, 08:05 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I had the same reaction when I first thought about quitting. I loved to drink my wine and watch my shows with that intoxicating buzz. Although the next day I couldn't really remember that much of my shows.
Now I still watch my shows and I remember them now.
I also exercise now, take better care of my house, I can actually get out and drive to the store or visit someone instead of being a prisoner to my house.
Maybe you could join the YMCA or a gym? Or find a project you may want to work on. You could maybe even cook??
I still feel the need to have a drink when cooking, watching t.v. or doing certain tasks........and I do....I have coffee every evening. At first it wasn't the same but now I look forward to my coffee and cooking and such....and hey I can actually drive after ingesting that and I can even take it with me=)
Things may be hard but it is WELL WORTH IT!
Old 01-03-2008, 10:13 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Nohangovers - that's what I'm stressed about - TV. Sounds totally silly but watching new shows (upcoming Apprentice, American Idol, Lost, etc) with wine was my favorite way to unwind at the end of a day. I'm freaking out a bit with the new schedule starting!!
Old 01-03-2008, 12:48 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

Most of my drinking was in bars/clubs/pubs, so that was were I enjoyed "socializing". When I quit drinking, instead of "bar hopping", I did "meeting hopping". Would get all gussied up, just like I was going out for a night on the town...but, go to meetings instead. I gradually became very active in my group; and, instead of needing meetings, I truly looked forward to them...had a schedule of definite meetings on different days, different times...it was wonderful. Don't count AA out without really experiencing it!
Old 01-03-2008, 01:14 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hi Mama -

I have a suggestion for you about the TV. Tape the shows and watch them at a time when it is not usual for you to watch TV or drink. A lot of people here swear by switching up their routine to get out of the habits that accompanied our drinking. Just a thought...

And as for what you can do now that you are sober....EVERYTHING!!! I have gotten the job of my dreams, improved my relationship with my family, and learned a whole lot about myself. And I feel like there is still so much to learn and so much I want to do...and now I can. You can to!

I like the idea of using the opening "I have always wanted to..." and then head in the direction! That is great advice!

Oh, and keep posting!
Old 01-03-2008, 02:31 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Originally Posted by Jomey View Post
Hi Mama -

I have a suggestion for you about the TV. Tape the shows and watch them at a time when it is not usual for you to watch TV or drink. A lot of people here swear by switching up their routine to get out of the habits that accompanied our drinking. Just a thought...
Good idea. I actually started a thread here of a list of things to do to keep from picking up a drink and I think that there was a similiar suggestion on it.