Notices

Changes

Old 12-23-2007, 12:35 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Change

My changes from not drinking are still in there infancy.

I think more clearly and I have more patience for others. I'm in less pain now during the morning hours.

Since I never was a hard-core drunk, never had blackouts, committed violent acts or physically hurt other people, I can't say that my life has changed in that aspect. I was neglectful, just existing not living.

However; I do hurt myself less, and I'm not continuing down the road that would've lead to the bottom.

I'm a coach and I feel of more use to young people, and I'm not as sarcastic or negative, I have more genuine impathy for my players. I've spent more time consulting, being a mentor and using my interpersonal skills to help solve other peoples problems. I get up every morning at 4:30, drive 45-minutes to work, and help my players in the weight-room, work an 8 hour day, and return to other academic, and or player related events in the evening. I used to be a the bar by 5:30, and if I worked late, I would come home drunk at 9:30 or 10:00 and just slide through the day.

I notice other peoples pain, instead of my own. I'm not as selfish.

I am disappointed in many things. I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop so I won't be caught off guard. I'm ready to give up on some things I've held onto my whole life, dreams, aspirations, goals, and did I mention how I hate the Holidays?

I started smoking and I quit during this period. I'm trying not to replace my addiction with another addiction..

I know that I'm good at what I do, but I feel wierd about smiling or bad about myself when I'm around my boss. Some kind of guilt that I can't put my finger on.

I changed jobs this year, and did a bang up job with several accolades. I want a promotion, and I've applied, but my work history the past ten years is an issue.

The past 10 years my son was fighting for his life, so head coaching was not my priority.

The reason I do my job is help kids, but I'm getting to a point in my life where I want something more for myself. Besides I'm tired of making the guys over me look great, and even though I get some job satisfaction and rewards, positive influence on kids, I need to be the guy.

Why is it that I work for people, that I know aren't as smart as me? It may be true that we all rise to our highest level of incompetence, but wait I missed a step. I don't let on, and my superiors ask me do my thing, but WTF? I'm not narcassistic, I care about others, I work hard?