Notices

I'm finally ready to face reality...

Old 11-19-2007, 12:11 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Hi DD and welcome to SR.

It's so wonderful when someone who has been in pain starts on the road to recovery. Thanks for making my day!!

Slowly, I got new friends. I found them in AA at first because all my friends were heavy drinkers in the end and they were only interested in drinking - not in me. I was like them too but now I look at them and hope one day they will come out into the light.

I hope the rain stops soon!!!
Old 11-19-2007, 02:50 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I found new sober friends in AA meetings
we can do anything we choose...except drink!
AA also has given me a great way to enjoy life.

Welcome!
Old 11-19-2007, 03:17 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

DD
this is the first time i've ever admitted it to anyone (i'm sure lots of people already know though!).
good for you... and ya-think!

welcome!
Old 11-19-2007, 05:11 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR...

I am looking forward to seeing more of you here.

Keep posting...
Old 11-19-2007, 06:33 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I'm not sure i'm ready to go to a meeting yet, i'm at a point where i really want to try and do this on my own with my on line support group!!! (Thats you in case you didn't know!).. I guess if i screw up then i'll go to meetings.

I can't tell you how much it helps just being able to tell people how you feel...Such a simple thing but so powerful.

Thank you

My first big test is tonight... Monday night I play football and afterwards its always straight in the pub. But not for the pint or 2 my friends have...no i'd be 4 minimum then buy more on the way home. End result, drunk as a skunk and the cycle continues. Thats not gonna happen tonight.
Old 11-19-2007, 08:31 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I understand. I had to get on here almost hourly when I first quit just to read. Now a month later I am able to post.

If you don't want to go to AA how about counseling? That is what I am doing and it is very helpful. Talking to someone that won't judge you but can really help you see the reasons why you abused and how you can change. It's really been big for me.

I am really pulling for you. Turn your back on the darkness!
Old 11-19-2007, 08:48 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

>>It's like waking up in your own bed after a nightmare - it's over

Couldn't have said it better myself.... I just feel relief.

I just know i'm not out of the dark place yet...anywhere near. I guess this is what people mean when they talk about one day at a time?
Old 11-19-2007, 12:55 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Ali

Good for you, DD . I'm also on Day 2. As you say, amazing to wake up with a clear head .. had almost forgotten what it was like.

EDIT: One day at a time is probably the only way to do it...every major project looks unmanageable until its broken down into small tasks.
Old 11-19-2007, 01:26 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Welcome to the board DD, glad 2 have you here.

I have some advice, and a question ...

If I were you, I'd make up some excuse why you cannot make it to the pub after the match tonight

My question is why not try an AA meeting or two? How can it hurt to try something that works for so many of us?

One thing you'll NEVER find in an AA room ... somebody who's now dedicated to sobriety that DOESN'T wish that they had gotten into AA sooner than they did. Every single person in those rooms will tell you that they tried to do this sobriety thing unsuccessfully on their own, usually for YEARS, before reaching the conclusion that they could not. Does this mean that the *only* sober alcoholics are the people in AA? Of course not, that does not logically follow. But it's just something to think about... I know whole roomfuls of people who have put this disease into prolonged remission, I see them all the time. I can count on less than one hand the people I've known that have done it all on their own (and maintained it for years) without any sort of structured program of recovery, be that AA or something similar.

Thats, again, not to say it can't be done, I'm just relaying my personal experience with what I've seen with this disease.

Best of luck in any case, keep us posted
Old 11-19-2007, 01:59 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
ready for help

Hi DD,
Glad to see you here. I too am struggling. When I go to my work holiday party this year with my husband, it will be the first time in forever that I am not smashed when we leave the party. It's gonna take alot, but like you, I love the feeling of not having a hangover.
Hang in there. It gets better.
Shari
Old 11-19-2007, 06:19 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Diver Down View Post
>>

I just know i'm not out of the dark place yet...anywhere near. I guess this is what people mean when they talk about one day at a time?
No I know your not. And I do understand, remember, I am not THAT far out myself. But I know how at first one day was huge - and it is at that point for any of us addicts - but now the time is going by better each day and the light is getting brighter. It is so much better than I could have thought. And that's what I heard addicts say on here time and time again which gave me the extra kick to quit. I mean... that many people couldn't be lieing to me right? Well I found out they weren't.

Are you doing this ALL alone? I mean besides this site? Do you have anyone there to talk to or anything? Because even if not I still agree with BV above but if you are truly alone in this I am extra pulling for you to get your butt into someplace. And if you are totally against AA then that means a shrink or something.
Old 11-19-2007, 11:19 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Now waking up 2 days running feeling fine is just plain weird!!!

Well i made it through day 2, strangely when i said i wasn't bothered about going to the pub no one else wanted to go really. It seems the person who always wanted to go was me...other people had things they wanted to go back to. Lives to lead....I'd always just wanted booze.