Notices

How do you take care of yourself?

Old 11-09-2007, 10:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How do you take care of yourself?

Well, I had an hour long massage today. Funny how much your neck grows after one of those LOL!! (my shoulders are down where they are supposed to be).

I have severe anxiety made worse by alcoholism. I promised myself that the money I would've spent on that worthless alcohol, will go to a bi-weekly massage! I feel great for days afterwards and much less stressed!

It is day 17 for me and I am really feeling better. I did also start a new med (zoloft) and it is working wonders for me. I usually isolate, but in the last 7 days, I went out to eat 3 times (two times with the hubby), went over to my friends and watched a movie, Actually emailed a few dear friends who I have neglected. So this is a big difference for me!!

So anyone want to share something special they have done in taking care of themselves since sobriety?
Old 11-09-2007, 10:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

I threw way all my 'skinny' clothes, and bought really nice clothes (1st hand for the first time in yers) that fit well and look great.
Old 11-09-2007, 11:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

This is a great thread.

I love the idea of buying nice, good-fitting clothes for yourself. I used to buy very inexpensive clothes and think they were okay. Now, I try to buy fewer things, but only things that are really nice and that feel really good.

I am quite comfortable with the idea that not everyone will like me. That has been huge for me because I used to use so much energy making sure that everyone liked me and it's so liberating to know it's okay if that doesn't happen.
Old 11-09-2007, 11:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I've gotten some new clothes and have been going to the movies alot. I took some married friends out for dinner tonight and a flick.

I track my non-drinking $ savings, and I want to save up for a trip to Paris this spring.
Old 11-10-2007, 03:03 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I've regained my self esteem and am leading a much healthier lifestyle. I am losing excess weight and looking forward to buying some nice new clothes when I can afford them.
Old 11-10-2007, 03:51 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Great topic...

I have joined a gym...

I use scented candles and take herbal baths...

BUT most of all I go to meetings and come here so that I can continue to enjoy lifes simple pleasures...:ghug
Old 11-10-2007, 05:24 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thumbs up How do I take care of myself?

I try to get enough sleep, eat a good diet, and work my Program for beginners. :morning

I try to keep myself up, no falling apart favorite clothes, a haircut on time, and a new outfit once in a while. :mock

Since I am retired I don't dress up much anymore except when we go to a special event or out to dinner with our friends.

I see my doctor on a regular basis for my depression/blood work.

I take my medications every day.

I reward myself as I go through the day working on chores and hobbies.

kelsh
Old 11-10-2007, 06:41 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
No more merlot, more mamma

I've accepted who I really am. I don't try to fit in anymore. I also am being more positive throughout the day.
Old 11-12-2007, 11:47 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by discoveringme View Post
I promised myself that the money I would've spent on that worthless alcohol, will go to a bi-weekly massage
I promised myself that I must get my priorities right (eg: first bills then fun) and whatever I have left over rather then drinking it I'd put it aside to repair my car which I did allot of damage to while I was drunk. (So drunk I don't remember my accident. All I remember is just after it. Then bits of being at the hospital's emergency room). I'd just like to say that I had my accident alone and didn't hurt anybody or damage anything, other then my car.
I was very attatched to my car. It probably makes no economical sense to repair it but I want to. Maybe it's a symbolic thing for me, kinda like making amends with things i've hurt/damaged while drinking.
Anyway i hope you're enjoying your massages!
Old 11-12-2007, 01:36 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

We are saving for a house, so I am not able to buy anything right now, so I am trying to lift my spirits and "reward" myself with little things like a 10 minute rest in the afternoon while the kids are out playing, working on jigsaw puzzles, keeping the house tidy - beds made, kids clothes up off the floor, the whole nine yards ( which is a TON of work at my house:mock ) but it makes me happy to come home to a tidy house, watching the sunrise, stuff like that. Would love a massage!! But need a house first!!!!
Old 11-12-2007, 05:03 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

This thread has reminded me that I'm not doing enough for 'me' - I've neglected my diet, my fitness, and my finances are in a shambles.

BUT. I do get LOTS of rest, I take my meds, I walk my dogs and spend time in nature a couple of times a week, I go to meetings, I work with newcomers, I connect regularly with other women, I spend time with my daughter.

Maybe I'm doing alright after all.
Old 11-12-2007, 05:14 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good point Rowan!

It's always good to look at what you are doing for yourself, rather than the opposite. And, I think that the more you do for yourself and the more positive changes you make in your life, you will find more and more peace and fulfillment.
Old 11-12-2007, 05:20 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Next stop: real life

Originally Posted by 51anna View Post
I am quite comfortable with the idea that not everyone will like me. That has been huge for me because I used to use so much energy making sure that everyone liked me and it's so liberating to know it's okay if that doesn't happen.
I cannot wait til I'm in a place to say that.

I've decided that my treat for myself is going to be an iPod Touch: It's going to be my sixty-day reward, since I'd have spent far more than that on alcohol in that time period. For a year, it'll be a trip to England (I had to turn down an opportunity to go this year because my health wasn't good enough).
Old 11-12-2007, 05:33 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
not a greeter

Special things? Yoga & meditation. I take great pleasure in both things. There are other banal things but those are the 2 biggies .
Old 11-13-2007, 12:20 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
live to ride ride to live

I take my med's and swim daily
Old 11-13-2007, 04:15 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
JRock

I continue working the steps and attempting to apply them to my everyday life. This thing takes time but when i came in I couldn't and still struggle at times with even the things which seem so simple like washing my face. It seems the more time I spend growing spiritually the more I find that I take care of myself in other ways.