Notices

Detoxing

Old 10-17-2007, 12:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Detoxing

This is the first time here for me. I'm married with 3 young children. I will be meeting with a therapist tomorrow concerning my drinking. I am an alcoholic. I have gone to a few AA meetings in the past. I have gone 3 or 4 days withhout drinking probably a couple of times in the last year. I have been drinking alot for about a year now. My family wants me to get help and so do I. The question I have is I will be doing an out patient program at nights 5 nights a week the nurse on the phone said I should take medication for detoxing. I don't want to take this med I looked it up and did not like the sounds of it. So I was wondering if any of you just quit cold turkey and how it was or if you took meds?
Thank you
Trina
Old 10-17-2007, 12:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I detoxed at home my last time, and many times before. I did not understand how dangerous it was then.

I highly recommend you have a supervised detox. It can kill.

As far as the meds. My Doctor gave me Valium (or a derivative) to "taper down" on until I could quit drinking. I found the Valium went down really well when chased by a couple of shots of Vodka !

I am now an AA member, and it has made all the difference ...
Old 10-17-2007, 12:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
let it grow!

it's nice to meet you, trina. it's great that you are reaching out. and be grateful that you have such a supportive family.

keep posting! blessings, k
Old 10-17-2007, 12:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

Never detoxed without medical help...have seen it done...wouldn't recommend it. The hospital detox I went to gave librium...but, that was over 25 years ago...I'm sure they've come up with something better since then that doesn't make you feel so zombie-like. I do hope you'll combine the therapy with AA meetings...a life-saver for me.
Old 10-17-2007, 02:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hello Trina and welcome to SR.I stopped about a month ago without taking anything.I'd reached a stage where i had just had enough and the cons were far outweighing the pros.The last day i drank was for about 3 or 4 hours and the whole time all i was thinking was that i was sick of it and wanted to stop.So far i've not had any problems but reading on here most days, i don't think that is the norm and i've been lucky.I didn't think to get medical advice,but maybe you should consider anything that will help in your recovery.Best wishes with the out patient programme and well done for tackling it.
Old 10-17-2007, 04:46 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Trina,

I don't know how much you are drinking & if you are drinking everyday. I had drank everyday for four years and was put in the hospital for a medical detox. They used Librium shots at first and then pills. I was there six days and did not have any withdrawal symptoms. They checked me often and my blood pressure and to see if I was shaking.

My doc told me I could have gone to sleep one night and not woke up ever again..as much as I was drinking and how high my blood alcohol would get. It was 0.300 when I was admitted to the hospital and I was walking and talking as if I had not been drinking.

He was really scared for me and I hadn't even realized all that I was doing to myself.

kelsh
Old 10-17-2007, 06:57 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
simplysober

i quit cold turkey at home, i was drinking half a box (yes box lol) of wine every night for a lonnnnng time. I was scared about the detox. I had the headaches, some cramping in my stomach and weird dreams- when i could sleep.

luckily i was okay, Im not a Dr. so i dont offer this as advice in any way. Ive heard of people getting pretty sick and going into a coma even, so be careful

and check in alot
hugs
maria
Old 10-17-2007, 07:06 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome to SR...

So glad you found us , keep posting....:ghug