Notices

I've lost my way again

Old 10-16-2007, 01:32 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
smileyologist and lord of bees

Old 10-16-2007, 01:48 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Hey RK!

The first step in wisdom is to know that we do not know. Seems to me that you don't know how to stop this cycle - though you cling onto the notion that you do!

That's what I need to learn to do; frankly, I can probably make-do without the rest...
Y'see? You think you know what you need to "do", and you think you know what you can do without! I'm here to tell you brother - in drinking as in every single other thing in life without exception - if you can't do it, first of all admit that you can't, then go find people who can and find out how they do it! And don't decide in advance what you are and are not willing to do! Because bottom line for you is the same as the bottom line was for me four plus years ago - our way ain't working!

Thanks for posting today you've helped to keep me sober.
Old 10-16-2007, 02:33 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bvaljalo View Post
Well, by all means, let us know how that works out for you. After all, your best thinking has gotten you this far already, so now is certainly not the time to start taking advice from strangers on the interwebs, that's for damn sure...
Sorry, I didn't mean to sound rude about it. I do see what you mean.
Old 10-16-2007, 02:49 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I'm sorry too brother, didn't mean to kick a man when he's down!

My problem, as a drinking alcoholic, was that I didn't know what "change" meant. Strike that, ONE of my problems as a drinking alcoholic was that I didn't know what change meant! I thought I could "change" by planning out what was going to happen with what I already knew and understood, and then setting about doing that. That's not change. That's just rearranging the furniture. Moving the same sh!t to a different part of the room.

Change means starting something without knowing how it's going to finish. Something NEW appears. It means letting go of the same old sh!t. It takes courage - and in my case, in the absence of courage it took desperation!

Begin anew. Prepare to be different. Today.

Don't pick up that first drink. And in spite of yourself, go to a meeting.
Old 10-16-2007, 03:02 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by paulmh View Post
I'm sorry too brother, didn't mean to kick a man when he's down!

My problem, as a drinking alcoholic, was that I didn't know what "change" meant. Strike that, ONE of my problems as a drinking alcoholic was that I didn't know what change meant! I thought I could "change" by planning out what was going to happen with what I already knew and understood, and then setting about doing that. That's not change. That's just rearranging the furniture. Moving the same sh!t to a different part of the room.

Change means starting something without knowing how it's going to finish. Something NEW appears. It means letting go of the same old sh!t. It takes courage - and in my case, in the absence of courage it took desperation!

Begin anew. Prepare to be different. Today.

Don't pick up that first drink. And in spite of yourself, go to a meeting.
You have me down to a tee. I can fool many people, but not family they see right through me and now I can't even look them in the eye.

The next few days will be tough, but I'm better than this - I can beat this.

This might well have been my first post. Been here before.

Thank you for your words of encouragement m8.
Old 10-16-2007, 03:29 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

You want it enough and you can do it....not easy...worth it.
Old 10-16-2007, 08:34 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RK2007 View Post
sorry, I didn't intend for that to make you feel worse. I just wanted to get you to realize guilt can work against you after awhile even if it's never what you wanted in the first place and you may not even be realizing it. I fight against it everyday and that combined with self-pity is rough. The people at the meetings are the best chance, they know what you're going through.
Old 10-16-2007, 08:53 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by OXFORD View Post
sorry, I didn't intend for that to make you feel worse. I just wanted to get you to realize guilt can work against you after awhile even if it's never what you wanted in the first place and you may not even be realizing it. I fight against it everyday and that combined with self-pity is rough. The people at the meetings are the best chance, they know what you're going through.
You didn't make me feel worse and there is no need for you to apologise.

I should be apologising to you for making you feel that way, it's the same-old I'm afraid; self-pity and blame shifting - I'm a professional...