Notices

A bit of service, and a bit of light

Old 10-11-2007, 02:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

A bit of service, and a bit of light

After my last few posts, which have all been quite negative, I thought I'd share that I'm feeling a little better tonight.

I've been feeling very down recently - stress, depression and anxiety. I've been thinking a lot about drinking, comfort eating, self harm and all the other destructive behaviours that I'm trying to abstain from.

I've been attending 5-6 meetings a week and was asked on Tuesday to look after the literature at two of the meetings I go to. I went along tonight, and the chap who I'm taking over from explain what he'd been doing, and I go stuck in to sorting out the very disorganised boxes of books and leaflets. I'd said to my partner before I left that its a good job for me as it doesn't involve very much! The only person who has bought any books since I joined has been me.

The meeting was very busy tonight, and there was a new lady who looked very nervous. I had a chat with her, and she asked if we had any books. I showed her what we had, and asked if she wanted any leaflets. She had a look through and took quite a few leaflets. I'm glad I'd sorted through the leaflets - meant I knew what there was to offer her. I also gave her my number incase she wanted to talk sometime.

Its not much, but it really helped me. I know the friendly faces have helped me, and I hope I helped her.

I'm making small steps. I do feel a bit better - a bit happier, and a bit more at ease. My search for a sponsor continues tomorrow - its a busy meeting and hopefully I'll be able to find a temporary sponsor.

Thanks for listening, both when I'm low and need to externalise, and also when I'm feeling a bit better
Old 10-11-2007, 02:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Way to go you! Keep up the good work okay? Everybody gets down and starts feeling a certain way about things but done let it get you down.
Old 10-11-2007, 02:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

and thanks for sharing with us too. It helps me to read what you've written. Don't forget that - even when people don't rpely, or don't press thanks, you're helping by sharing.

And I remember vividly when I was the only one buying books!

Keep on with those small steps. You won't believe where they can take you.
Old 10-11-2007, 03:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

That's a good story Odaat. I am certain that my HP led me to a women's centre to do volunteer work, the same week that I stopped drinking. I was really a mess emotionally, but somehow it worked out. And, being able to offer something to women who were living on the street, helped me SO much. I think this disease of alcoholism breaks us down so very much. I know it really helped me to be able to offer something to someone else.
Old 10-11-2007, 04:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

odaat
Old 10-11-2007, 04:20 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

That's great Odaat! Thanks for sharing. I am so glad you are feeling better and helping others always feels great! I am so happy for you!
Old 10-11-2007, 04:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I am glad to hear that you are feeling Odaat! Every little bit helps. Keep going you are doing a wonderful job and thnks for sharing with us.
Old 10-11-2007, 05:29 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Old 10-11-2007, 05:32 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Keep up the good work!!
Old 10-11-2007, 05:43 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing, odaat. I'm glad you took on the literature commitment and that you were able to extend some kindness to the new lady at the meeting. Well done.

Row
Old 10-11-2007, 05:59 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

good for you Odat. I really like your honesty in your posts. We do need to talk about what we are feeling even if it is negative some of the time. Keep up the good work with the Literature.

kelsh
Old 10-11-2007, 10:15 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

I head on a speaker tape at some time or other someone said-
'even if you've only got twenty minutes of sobriety - GIVE that twenty minutes to someone with less than twenty minutes. It will keep YOU sober another twenty minutes if you do.'

What a lovely example of that.