Notices

Finding Serenity

Old 10-02-2007, 06:12 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I can't say that I have any experience in what he told me but my sponsor has 27 years sober. I remember asking him how the hell did you stay sober 27 years. He told me he didn't.
He said he's only stayed sober for 24 hours, he just did it ove 8,000 consecutive times.

I'm a lot like you Jomey, in that I told my sponsor I would never be able to stay sober for 27 years. Hell, I couldn't do it for 2 weeks. He told me that if he had sat down at the time (27 years ago) and said to himself, I'll stay sober 27 years. He would've been drunk in under a week.

I have a lot of trouble with this one, but I've been trying to just live right now. There's no way I can have tomorrows drink today, and we obviously can't give back yesterdays, all we have to do is not drink right now.

Good luck
Old 10-03-2007, 05:14 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Hey loomer - Thanks for the response...I really would like to chat more about what your sponser said...I have to get to work RIGHT NOW (or else! ), so I will catch up with you later - keep the faith - just for today, right?

Thanks Rusty! Can never have too much encouragment on this road! Hugs!
Old 10-03-2007, 05:44 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Rloomer your sponsor is a wise man, every old timer I have ever spoken to has only been sober that day, I am learning that, I had to.

I always make a commitment every morning to ask my HP to give me the strength to stay sober today allowing me to be able to do what he needs me to do.

When ever the thought of a drink pops into my head today I simply decide to wait until tomorrow, since tomorrow is never here today I do not drink.

What has made staying sober easy for me today was damn hard to do even though it is actually easy. I have worked the steps to the best of my ability, I live them to the best of my ability, I help my sponsee work the steps & I keep my hand out for any one seeking help to grab on to. This has resulted in the vast majority of the promises in the BB coming true for me. The urge/need to drink has been lifted from me for today as long as I maintain my spiritual condition.

The above sounds like a lot, but it really isn't and done on a daily basis becomes second nature with time as long as I keep working it.
Old 10-03-2007, 01:36 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

hi guys - Loomer, your sponser does indeed seem like a very smart man. That 's amazing when you think about it in those terms....staying sober for one day at a time over 8000 times in a row!!WOW!

I have mercifully little to no urge to drink right now, but my trouble is just remembering to live in the moment...not to get anxious about the past or the future. As we were joking about earlier in the thread, I want my serenity NOW! I am going to take Taz's advice and just roll with the routine until it becomes more like second nature. I had a better day today than I have in a while as far as letting things go, and just "being". Hope you had a good one too, Loomer.

Thanks again Taz! It's good to know your hand is always there to grab hold of when it feels like the sobriety ship might be thinking about sinking!
Old 10-03-2007, 06:52 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

"Free Beer tomorrow"

not today!
Old 10-04-2007, 04:09 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Thanks again Taz! It's good to know your hand is always there to grab hold of when it feels like the sobriety ship might be thinking about sinking!
Jomey my hand is but a very small part of the hand of AA, in AA I have found that we is the ticket, not I.
Old 10-04-2007, 05:00 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Yes, Taz, your hand is but a very small part of the "we" of AA, but the we of AA would not be the same without every single one of it's small parts....so, you are going to have to accept the personal thanks whether you like it or not!!!!!