Notices

9th week sober and still NOTHING...

Old 09-27-2007, 10:30 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

AA doesn't make you miserable and I never said that.. It just sounds like some of you criticizing me for going at it alone are the ones who "seem" miserable.

I think AA works for some people but I don't think it's necessarily the answer to ALL alcoholics..

It's not about saving "face" or anything like that. For one, I have no time to be going to meetings on a regular basis.. For another thing, I just don't feel it does anything for me.

I'm not obsessed with fixing this problem on my own, I'm just saying that I have found that I don't need anyone else but myself and it seems to work.

This isn't the first time getting sober but it is the first time I'm getting sober knowing I will never drink again. I have managed to go 6 months in the past with the same amount of effort (or lack there of) but back then I told myself I would only go 6 months

I honestly just resent some of the attitudes on this site regarding the whole AA thing or the NEED to have all this help or you can't get sober and succeed at it.. I honestly think it turns alot of people off to hear this. It's kinda like the religious people who try to impose their beliefs and can't accept that individuals may have different beliefs or opininions

Thanks again to the people who are cool and accept that what a person decides to do to get sober is what's best for them. I would have expected support instead of criticism for doing this no matter how I went about it.

And no it's not about seeking to be told what I want to hear. I really don't need to hear anything from anyone other than myself and my family. I was on here hoping to inspire other people looking for information and trying to give them hope that they can do this no matter how they want to go about it.
Old 09-27-2007, 10:40 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

Sorry if I worded that wrong, I wondered why AA wasn't for you personally.
Old 09-27-2007, 11:01 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

OK...I'm going to try not to sound negative...I, personally, hate negativity...it's such a bummer. However, I'd like to reiterate my own experience...I drank for 32 years, and "quit" on a regular basis...I had plenty of experience stopping, I just never knew how to stay stopped. I learned that through working the AA program of recovery...12 Steps, 12 Traditions, 12 Promises, and all things in between.

By NOTHING i mean.. No desire to drink, no meetings attended after my first week, never felt sick without the drink, NOTHING...
Sounds like you're a real quick study, Mac...you learned it all in just one week. More power to you, since you're one of those rare alcoholics who, by some miracle that is beyond my comprehension, can stay sober by sheer willpower. Sorry if I'm a skeptic, Mac. I've never known an honest to goodness alcoholic who could do it without the benefit of AA...I've known a lot who tried, after they thought they had learned all they needed to know...and, we always welcomed them back with love and gratitude that they had made it back.

I wish you well, Mac...truly, I do.
Old 09-27-2007, 11:54 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Mac,
I would ask that you try to understand that most people at *this* site and at AA *need* the additional support. That means they are exposed to only people who have the same experience as them. For some of us, there have been tragedies. But I know the *vast* majority of people overcome their addictions without the additional help of self-help groups, psychologists, psychiatrists, councilors, etc. I have proof if anyone wants it again.

Everyone is hard-wired differently, and there is nothing wrong with seeking help. But there is something inconsiderate about seeing every else's recovery as similar to your own, from which some earlier comments arise from. For that Mac, I apologize for some of the criticisms by others on this thread. I do feel *empowered* to overcome my addiction, like you have.

Keep up the good work.
Old 09-27-2007, 12:17 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Hi Mac,

When I first read your first entry in this thread, I really had the feeling that you were saying "neener, neener, neener" to all of us. That bummed me out. (I am a sensitive soul, and I know I sometimes read into things too much).

Re-reading it, I am wondering if the real reason why you feel you can't relate to us much of the time is partially due to your feelings about AA?

If so, that is the perfect reason why I would like to see you pop in more than occasionally. Diversity is a good thing. I like to read about the different perspectives that people have... even if I don't agree... Plus, different views make for great discussion. Your thoughts and ideas may be of help to one person... or a whole bunch of people.

[As an aside: I knew very little about AA when I joined SR. In fact, if SR was instead named "AARecovery", I probably would not have joined. After being here a few weeks, AA seems less militant & scary to me. I think it would probably help me in that it would "get me out there" so I could meet and possibly become friends with people that don't drink.]

I am sincerely glad you are doing well and wish you many happy, sober years to come.

Peace,

R
Old 09-27-2007, 12:51 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Macphisto View Post

I have no time to be going to meetings.. I just don't feel it does anything for me.

I don't need anyone else but myself.

This isn't the first time getting sober

I will never drink again.

I honestly just resent some of the attitudes on this site

I would have expected support here....

And no it's not about seeking to be told what I want to hear. I really don't need to hear anything from anyone
Thank you for sharing. Good luck.
Old 09-27-2007, 04:30 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

hey mac!!

i know u said you wer edone with this site but i hope u still are reading! i know at times it can be taken that aa's want everyone to work a program. i dont think that is always the case, i definitely agree with attraction whether than promotion, but we are all human and we all make mistakes! nobody is perfect, some are so excited with what they have found in aa and want everyone to share in their happiness!! i at one time was definitely a promoter and not an attractor and im not sure exactly where i stand right now!hahaha.... but one thing in aa that we are taught is to share our experience with others, so i think what happens is we come on to this alcoholic message board and share our experience and what we have gone through in our alcohol struggle and the ones who have found aa have not been able to maintain sobriety without it! for many of us aa was our last try! i know i did not want aa and i fought it for the longest time!! i think many people want to spare others the pain and the bottoms that they have went through!! in aa we here this talk of a pink cloud, where everything is PERFECT!! most of have been in a point our sobriety and know we are never going to drink again becasue we feel so great adn then all of the sudden, life takes a turn and we want to drink again and some of us do!! i hope this makes sense!! alot of people disagree on a lot of things! hell most alcoholics are selffish and have control issues! ha not everyone but me and my alcoholic friends do! (we all go somewhere after a meeting and we all drive our cars and its two mins away, hahaha. we always laugh at that) but i guess the great thing about these boards is if we go here to share, we need to be aware that we arent going to agree with everyone and everyone is going to have an opinnion, if we know that, its easier to take what we like and leave the rest! We all have a common goal here, TO STAY SOBER!!! and that is awesome that there are so many people here that we can learn from, some can be good examples of what you dont want to be! i hope you continue to share your journey with us!!

my intention is not to speak everyone but i dont think you should go away becuase you dont like a few things that were said! just think about work how many times do you disagree with someone there? thats life and thats the beauty of it!!!

thanks again!!
L
Old 09-27-2007, 04:35 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

By NOTHING i mean.. No desire to drink, no meetings attended after my first week, never felt sick without the drink, NOTHING...

Just a bit confusing to me, I know for a FACT I'm an alcoholic but have had no real hardships in quiting.

I do enjoy not having to go to the ATM machine every day, or seeing liqour store charges on my bank statements on almost a daily basis... I've been around alcohol many times in these past couple months and had no temptation..

One of my best drinking buddies was moving out of town a few weeks ago and at his farewell party he was just about begging me to have a few farewell drinks with him "for old times sake".. But NO WAY.. No desire

I'm truely sorry for all who are struggling with staying sober but in a sense I can't relate.. I don't know ithat I wish I could relate, all I know is that it has been too easy

I also know I don't ever want to drink again and can tell everyone that reads this that life is SOOO much better without alcohol..

I still come on this site once in a while but like I said, I just feel like I can't relate much of the time..

Thanks for listening, I guess I should feel blessed to not have to go through the hell some of you are going through
Wow! Right on brother. I'm happy for your sobriety.

I went sober about 8 years ago without the help of the program and relapsed. One day I woke up and decided I was going to start drinking again. I hope you have better luck than I did.

And I agree with whomever said to keep posting here regardless. It's refreshing to hear this viewpoint.

All the best mate.
Old 09-27-2007, 04:51 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Just remember, if you do fail in your endevor to quit without help there is an army that has, in fact, walked a thousand miles in your shoes here to help.
Old 09-27-2007, 05:29 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Thanks for the honest well wishers... I've never been against AA, I don't feel that I can attend at the moment and if I feel like I need support I will make more of an effort to attend.

I'm not trying to bash on anyone, I feel good in my sobriety, my way right now. I don't know what tomorrow holds so I can't say that my way of doing things will or will not succede.. All I know is that I will stay sober not matter what I have to do and I don't rule out AA as a future support option.

I just don't think that people should be saying that there is only one way.. It's fine to express what's currently working for you but don't bash on people who are doing it different

thanks for listening.. I'll try to drop in once in a while and hopefully giove advice and support to others..
Old 09-27-2007, 07:41 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Raised from the Dead

im not going to fight anybody on a recovery message board on the internet. any way a person can achieve sobriety is a good thing. all i know is what does/doesnt work for me. what doesnt work for me is doing it alone. for me personally, 9 weeks of not drinking didnt wipe out all my years of drinking. if it did for you, congrats. i wont, however, crawl back from underneath my rock as you suggested. what i will do is continue to keep coming back and sharing how alcoholics anonymous has positively changed my life in every concievable area. i use SR.com as another avenue to connect with recovering members of AA. its yet another thing i stack between me and a drink. best wishes in you're sobriety.
Old 09-27-2007, 07:48 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't think anyone is suggesting anyone else needs to crawl under a rock Chicago.
There are many ways to sobriety. Thats what SR is for...support and advice for everyone, no matter which way they choose

D
Old 09-28-2007, 08:37 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I don't think anyone is suggesting anyone else needs to crawl under a rock Chicago.
There are many ways to sobriety. Thats what SR is for...support and advice for everyone, no matter which way they choose

D
Thanks Dee.. Good to see some people keep and open mind about sobriety no matter which way one decides to go

I'll continue on here as I go at this alone and hopefully as I gain more time I can convince some of you that it is possible..
Old 09-28-2007, 08:47 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

No need to convince anyone of anything, Macphisto - we are all on this journey together, shoulder to shoulder.

I'm very glad you decided to stick around.
Old 09-28-2007, 09:27 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
"Grateful to be Sober."

huh!?

Wow, well 1st of all i'd just like to say conrgrats on your sobriety! secondly, how how how? Lol! I'd be totally lying if i were to say i'm not jelous -I AM! I'm in my fourth day of sobriety and it's agony- mentally mostly. But i know it will get easier, anyway- congrats again, i've never read anything like this before so u must be just one of the very lucky few- good on you mate!
Old 09-28-2007, 10:29 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

I'll continue on here and hopefully I can convince some of you ..............
This is not very attractive.