Notices

Looking for help

Old 03-26-2008, 06:31 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

You are way ahead of me that's for sure. I am 47 years old and have been drinking since I was 24 years old. I am now sober almost 3 weeks b/c I had my first DUI and now I have to deal with losing my license for 6 months. At your age, no one could have told me I have a problem and believed it. Get the help you need asap by meetings and changing your friends if they are drinkers because it only gets worse. Stay strong it's not worth it.
Old 03-26-2008, 07:03 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

If all we can do on a daily basis is not use than we have won!

Don't feel bad about the relapse I have been a cronic relapser most of my life but one thing that I have found out and cherish is that I can protect the gift of life that sobriety has given to me. It isn't always the easiest thing to do but it is doable...one second, one minute, one hour, whatever it takes we can do it.

Glad that you are here and keep on keeping on
Old 03-26-2008, 07:33 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

When I was looking to go to a meeting I was scared since I am young like you (I'm 23). There are plenty of people in the meetings that are younger than us, so there isn't anything to be worried about. Good luck, the first meeting is the hardest (since you don't know what to expect), but for me as soon as I left I knew I was going back the next night. Meetings are pretty relaxed, and you don't have to say a word if you don't want to. "I'm just listening" is a proper reply if you are indeed called upon. I don't know if you are scared since you are young, but do realize there are tons of people who are young that go to meetings. I wish you the best of luck! Get your butt to that meeting and begin the journey of a lifetime!
Old 03-26-2008, 07:39 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Next stop: real life

I read through the whole thread before I realized most of it was from last August.

Steve, glad to see you're back. Have you tried going to any young people's meetings? There tend to be fewer gray heads at those, and plenty of kids our age who don't think quitting at twenty is weird.
Old 03-28-2008, 04:01 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Good to know you are making a positive plan
Many of us had false starts before we found solid recovery.

Welcome back...