Notices

Looking for help

Old 08-26-2007, 09:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Looking for help

Hi everyone, my name is Steve and I'm 20 years old. I would say I've been a true alcoholic for about 2 years now. When I was in high school I really liked drinking alot, but I didn't have the time to do it like I do now. I find myself drinking at every social situation possible, and when there isnt one I find a way to get drunk, pretty much 6-7 days a week. In the past 6 months or so I've been experiencing alot of blackouts, and I've noticed my health and energy is going downhill and in a hurry. I'm going to join AA this week hopefully, and talk to an addictions councellor about what route is best. It's time for me to get my life back in order.
Old 08-26-2007, 09:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Steve,

Welcome!

It sounds like you're ready to change your lifestyle. You'll find that you are not alone here and I hope you keep posting. It sounds like you're taking steps to take care of yourself.
Old 08-26-2007, 09:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
trying to get it..

good for you steve, you have it appears recognized you have a problem and are set on starting down a path to address it.....way to go......
Old 08-26-2007, 09:26 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Steve and welcome here. Good for you if you can get this demon off your back at such a young age!

Jhana
Old 08-26-2007, 09:28 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks alot guys!
Old 08-26-2007, 09:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Steve,

Welcome to our recovery community! Well done for recognizing you have a problem and for taking steps to tackle it. Please keep reading and posting and keep us informed of your progress - we care

Rowan
Old 08-26-2007, 09:44 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

Good for you! It took most of us half a life-time to "wake up" and turn it around! You have an opportunity to avoid all the heartache that accompanies active alcoholism...you can look forward to a long, happy, healthy, sober life. If I were your Mom, I'd be very proud of you. Heck! I'm not your Mom...actually, I have a granddaughter four years older than you...but, let me say I am still proud of you.

You're looking for help in all the right directions...just keep following through.
Old 08-26-2007, 10:26 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi steve,

You are an inspiration...At twenty years old this party girl was just that! Party girl without a care in the world except getting high...

I didn't find AA until I was thirty years old. I am so happy to hear that you may be attending meetings...

Keep posting, we are glad you found us...
Old 08-26-2007, 10:47 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Steve.

AA sounds great. Do it while you're young and spare yourself the tragedy of middle and late stage alcoholism. It ain't pretty, you won't like it.
Old 08-26-2007, 10:57 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
believer

Hey, welcome, and i just wanted to tell you that the faster you stop, the better..Addiction only gets worse, it's a destructive disease, it doesn't stop if you don't stop...I am glad you are taking the right steps..I am 22, i wish i was your age again and know what i know today about self destruction....
Do what you have to do...Don't wait for complete despair or any kind of sad emotions to run you over...

Congratulations on making your first step...look forward to hear more about you..!
Old 08-26-2007, 11:06 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I wish I could have recognized my problem and quit at the age of 20 , at your I was also partying like there was not tomorrow. I didnt wake up and try to quit drinking til I was 41 and did not quit until the age of 42.
Old 08-26-2007, 11:40 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Smile

Thanks guys, your words are inspiring
Old 08-26-2007, 12:16 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

steve, when i attend a meeting, i notice that it's old people like me that are there. don't wait until you're in your 30's or 40's to realize that you have a problem.

Wow...you have your whole life ahead of you.

at the risk of sounding stupid and condensending: i'm proud of you. (i'm a mom and 20yr olds have a special place in my heart).

Take care.
Old 08-26-2007, 12:26 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Still Standing

Hi Steve,
I'm the mother of an alcoholic/addict that is 31 now and has spent ALOT of time in the hospital since 19 mostly because of almost dying from alcohol. His name is also Steve which is why your posts caught my attention. He is now in jail and may go to prison soon. His health and our family have been so unbelievably devastated by the affects of alcohol mostly and then drugs in our son's life. I just wanted to say that I'm so impressed with your choice to get help and get your life back on a healthy and happy track again at your young age. I know that your family has to be just so so proud of you and so happy for you. You have made a very responsible and healthy decision for yourself and you have given me some more hope that maybe something will still click with my Steve too. I do so wish you all the best and much recovery for a vey promising full future. Way to go. You're awesome.
(((((((((((((((Happy for you Hugs)))))))))))))))
Old 08-26-2007, 02:19 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Steve,
Man at your age i just relized i had a problem, told my first wife after work 1 day,all i think about is the drink i can have when i am off work, she said u have a problem , sure shut the f@%# up 20 + yrs later i wish i would have listned to her. Sooooooooo stop while you can and have brain cells left, please stop , this only gets worse ..

God Bless , John
Old 08-26-2007, 04:36 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

hey steve and welcome!!

in the beginning what helped me was making a list on paper of all stupid things i did while drinking, each time those things werent supposed to happen but they continued happening. i had to ask myself why this time would be any different! good luck to you, i quit for a few years when i was 21, with the help of aa. at 25 i decided to start up again, and let me tell you, it did not get any better, it only got worse! WAY WORSE!!!! and i only drank for a year and the consequences i am facing i never thought that would be me! i have lived both sides of it, sober and drunk, SOBER is much better and I am happy to be back!!

good luck

L
Old 08-27-2007, 06:47 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
let it grow!

nice to meet you, steve_c. glad you are going to meet with an addiction counselor and go to aa. i think you'll be surprised at how many young folks are in recovery. take good care and keep posting.

is your family involved at all with your situation?

hugs and blessings, k
Old 08-27-2007, 09:06 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by parentrecovers View Post
nice to meet you, steve_c. glad you are going to meet with an addiction counselor and go to aa. i think you'll be surprised at how many young folks are in recovery. take good care and keep posting.

is your family involved at all with your situation?

hugs and blessings, k
Hi parent, yes my parents are going to be involved, my mom especially. She grew up with an alcoholic father so her wish for me to stop is just as great as my own.

On a positive note, I didn't have a drink at all yesterday and though I still don't feel great it feels pretty darn good to not be hungover today
Old 08-27-2007, 09:13 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
let it grow!

great that you stayed sober yesterday! my daughter is 23 and an alcoholic/addict. she's been working on recovery since last september, with some relapses, i must be honest..

i was glad she came to me and her dad. we have good days and bad days in recovery, but i think it's important to be honest and ask for support frem your mom and dad, if you can.

remember, they may very well have some recovering to do themselves. so be patient with them..

hugs, k
Old 03-26-2008, 04:32 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hi Guys, Well it's been a while since I've posted, but a little update. I didn't do so well with attempt 1. Lasted a few weeks and was back at er harder than before. Here I am again and I'm hoping to have some more luck this time. Meetings start tommorow, and I've been sober 5 days so far. I feel this time my cravings are worse than before. It's strange because I feel so embarassed at this age telling people that I wanna quit, hardly anyone believes you, and most go as far as laughing in your face! Had a few withdrawal symptoms on the first couple days that were pretty crappy, sweats, nightmares and crazy irritability and anxiety. I guess it's all part of the battle. Glad to have you guys here for all your support!!!!