Notices

Question about Rehab?

Old 07-30-2007, 02:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question about Rehab?

I have been really struggling despite my efforts in outpatient rehab and some AA meetings. I just wanted to know from someone else's experience if rehab was a good choice for them. I'm really scared right now and I feel as if I'm losing control. Is Rehab a good solid starting point for some people or is it just a more intense AA meeting? Any advice would definately be appreciated.

Thank you,
Theresa
Old 07-30-2007, 05:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Raised from the Dead

rehab is great because it removes the people,places, and things. at 19 i was enrolled in outpatient. i showed up high the third day and was kicked out. i then went to impatient. i still wasnt done and immediately upon release went back to people, places, and things without ever making a meeting or entering the program. finally at 25 i had enough, went to detox and spent the following 8 months in a halfhouse.

but impatient is great if you have the willingness to join AA upon completion. it gives you a 30-day headstart. anything can work if you're truely ready.
Old 07-30-2007, 05:11 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Theresa,

I had been sober for two years through AA when I had a relapse using benzos. I opted for treatment because I was a bit of a mess.
A good treatment centre dries you out if necessary, gives you 3 squares a day, you are in 'group' several times a day - give you some information about your illness/addiction/disease - and send you out into the world. From there, it's up to you to sink or swim. I would suggest many meetings.
If you're already sober, and doing IOP, I'm not sure what real benefit treatment would have. What specifically are you struggling with?
Old 07-30-2007, 05:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're looking for help Theresa!
Old 07-30-2007, 05:33 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Teresa, if by 'struggling' you mean drinking then I think rehab would be a good idea for sure.
Old 07-30-2007, 06:18 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
GURUJAKE

Hi Theresa! Personally, I needed rehab simply to educate me about AA and my disease. In my opinion, everything I needed to know about recovery comes from AA and the Big Book. At least that's been my experience. Until I reached out my hand and immersed myself in AA (commitments, , sponsor, people to call and be responsible to, the same meetings each week, fellowship events, step work), it was difficult for me to stay sober. I just had to get serious and realize that I am dealing with a deadly disease. If you haven't given it your full effort, I highly encourage you to do so...your fear will soon dissipate. We love you and keep posting!
Old 07-30-2007, 06:32 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

hi,

Rehab is always a good idea provided that everything they do is confidential. Rehab is only useful in my opinion if you yourself want to stop it. Right now everything is will power. My dad says anything can be stopped with willpower.

I have myself been struggling in and out for 9 years with alcolol. With Rehab, Will power and Support you will get over it
Old 07-30-2007, 01:19 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I think rehab is a good idea, but you have to go into it whole heartedly. I was in a program last year, but left early, of course relapsed a few weeks later.

I've had several friends that have went through the same program, kept up with meetings afterwards, and got a sponsor that have been very successful.

I've getting ready to enter rehab again, and this time I know that I'm doing it 110%. Before I thought it was what I wanted, but as I think back on it now I was doing it more to appease others. This time I know that I'm doing it for myself.

Good luck, I hope you make the decision that is right for you.
Old 07-31-2007, 10:04 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

My dad says anything can be stopped with willpower.
The Oldtimers in my AA group would have questioned that with, "Has he ever tried to stop diahharea with willpower?"

I think rehab is an excellent idea, but it must be followed up with a commitment to the rest of the recovery package: AA meetings, sponsor, step work, service, good networking.

Last edited by Jersey Nonny; 07-31-2007 at 10:07 AM. Reason: spelling error
Old 07-31-2007, 11:30 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Amanda is right if you are going to do the rehab thing you do have to put yourself into it whole heartedly for you to get the benefits. It is a good 30 day jump start, but you have to follow some kind of plan or program when you get out if you want to stay stopped. That was my mistake I didnt follow any of their suggestions and I fell flat on my face when I got out. Are you struggling with drugs alcohol or both?

if you apprehensive about rehab start going ot meetings faithfully first and see if that helps, maybe thats all you need.