Notices

How Long?

Old 07-02-2007, 01:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question How Long?

How long did it take you to feel better physically after getting sober?
Mentally?

I've been to a doctor and everything checks out good but I still feel so weak and exhausted all of the time. I have to push myself most days to get stuff done. I keep setting small goals and I feel accomplishment over anything I get done during the day. My body is still tired in the mornings even after the nights I get sleep (which isn't always.) I guess this is early sobriety and par for the course? Or am I just one of the unlucky ones?

My body is still healing from the damage though.
I just wish I felt better now.
Old 07-02-2007, 01:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I couldn't concentrate the first 2 months for anything... month 3 started getting better but now that I am at 5 months of sobriety that I am starting to string more than 4 hours at a time with mental alertness...

Probably at month 4 I started feeling not so tired all the time... I sure it could have been better if I would have layed off the Monster drinks and all the Nicoteen...

Not sure how far along you are but I just keep telling myself that it will get better and so far it does!
Old 07-02-2007, 01:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I feel that way too Hope. Of course with me there's any number of things it could be besides alcohol related stuff, but I do kinda see a connection.
Maybe someone else will come along who knows more ?

D
Old 07-02-2007, 01:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hmm, physically it didn't take me very long to start feeling better. I was in pretty bad shape and had lost weight, but I gained it back quickly and felt much better. Mentally, that's another story. It took a long time. I had trouble dealing with the guilt and shame and simply accepting the reality of being an alcoholic.

Just listen to your body and keep moving forward.
Old 07-02-2007, 01:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

HALT
Don't get too Hungry
Angry
Lonely
Tired

Take care of yourself with good things to eat and get rest too. It's easy to overdo cigs & caffeine though. Don't know if you drink caffeine or smoke but I sure did, still do. You didn't do all that damage overnight and it will take time, but every day it gets a little better as long as you don't drink or use.
Old 07-02-2007, 02:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

I am also in very early stages. And i didnt even want to et out of bed most days. Had to make myself to even get in the shower. My mind was all over the place and dreams like crazy. Nightmares and using dreams.
But in th epast week or so I have been getting my energy back and have been very motivated. I am more focused and ready to move forward.
It is all just a part of recovery. I think we all
go through it.
It will pass as all things do.
Thinking of you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
graphic-124.jpg (22.7 KB, 35 views)
Old 07-02-2007, 02:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Physically it took me a few months to get over the fatigue and anxiety. Mentally, I'd say I'm still a work in progress after two + years sober. I could function and work well after a few months, but it's still one day at a time with my mentality and emotions. Still, it's worth every minute for the clarity and awareness that comes with staying sober.
Old 07-02-2007, 03:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Mark B. - Teetotaler |R|

Originally Posted by Hope4life View Post
How long did it take you to feel better physically after getting sober?
Mentally?
When I hit the six-month mark in my early Sobriety it was as though I had a feeling that things were going to be okay. My mind seemed to be firing on all cylinders for once in my life.

That doesn't mean I have problems in living. As long as I don't drink Just For Today I can find the answers. It also helps to have some quality support as well. Which is why I post here and go to meetings.

Yours in Recovery, Mark B.
Old 07-02-2007, 04:46 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

excersize Hope...
you know...the stuff most healty people you.
Old 07-02-2007, 05:08 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Hope, I was always tired my first year, and I had pneumonia 9 times my first year too. I started taking a good multi vitamin and also the B complexes. Slowly I started to get my energy back.

Have had bouts of the same tiredness over the years and came to find out from my doctor, after some blood work that I had no B12. Seems through all the gastronic damage I did and now the diabetes I can no longer absorb B12 from foods and/or vitamins, so now get B12 shots every 4 weeks and that has made a world of difference.

Please check with your doctor again and ask about B12.

Love and hugs,