Notices

Afraid to go to NA meeting-I'll be recognized!

Old 07-01-2007, 01:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Afraid to go to NA meeting-I'll be recognized!

Hi-
I just found this site today & I'm not sure what to do because I'm a nurse, and I work in the area of addiction recovery & I'm afraid that if I go to local NA meeting, I'll see one of our patients there! I've been an opiate addict for years, I just detoxed off Suboxone but relapsed ONE DAY later!! how weak am I? Anyways, anyone have any suggestions? I"m always afraid of losing my license & not sure what the laws are regarding treatment for healthcare workers. Thanks!
Old 07-01-2007, 02:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It's called NA for a reason. Who knows, you might give someone at the meetings hope because even health care professionals have a problem.

As far as losing your licenses, I don't know. I've heard basically if you approach the employer (especially the larger companies) and admit a problem and want help, it's looked upon favorably. I know from first hand experience that if you get caught, you're fired.

I'm an alkie. But NA uses the sames 12 steps with a different basic text. I do know AA works so........
Old 07-01-2007, 03:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hello & welcome, Mava! We're glad you're here.

When I attended an IOPCD course a few years ago, several other members were nurses. If I remember correctly, they were required to attend the full course of 30 days and "graduate", in order to maintain their license. I think they were also required to go to a minimum number of meetings ABOVE the 90 meetings in 90 days standard.
Old 07-01-2007, 04:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

don't know about the laws, but I had an A-Z list of reasons why I could not attend NA 2 years ago, it gave me a life and continues to do so.

Kevin
Old 07-01-2007, 06:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Evolving Addict

Fear

Hi Mava,

Welcome to SR.

Since you're in the field of "addiction recovery," you may know a few things about addiction. One thing that immediately comes to mind is that strength nor weakness has anything to do with it. Secondly, we addicts don't become addicted to drugs overnight, nor will we recover that way. And finally, most of us needed help and couldn't recover alone. With that said...a decision has to be made on your end - followed with some action.

If you believe that addiction is progressive, you understand that doing nothing because of your fear of being seen won't help you. It may just boil down to what's more important: living clean or a career in nursing? We can't save our face and our arse at the same time. We can only dodge the consequences of our using for so long. I know I used fear of being found out as an excuse to avoid the help I could receive in NA long ago...and I almost lost everything anyway. Once I surrendered and put down my pride, NA showed me the way to live. Now my life is better than it ever was. Lost dreams are awakened and new possibilities arise.

F.E.A.R = False Evidence Appearing Real

or

F.E.A.R. = Face Everything And Recover

Be blessed,
GarryW
Old 07-02-2007, 06:02 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Evolving Addict

Mava,

I just read a post by a nurse who visits this site. You may want to PM her for suggestions.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ab-clinic.html
Old 07-02-2007, 06:56 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Mava, I'm a nurse too and I live in a small town. For many years I used the same reasons you listed for not going to AA meetings. But my addiction finally got so bad that I had to get help; and by then I didn't care who saw me or knew I had a problem. Please don't let false pride stand in the way of your sobriety. Sending prayers your way. GH
Old 07-02-2007, 06:59 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
let it grow!

nice to meet you, mava. my daughter is an alcoholic/addict. she went to rehab and all the counselors there were in recovery and active in aa/na. blessings, and glad you found us - k