Notices

When do you know you have a problem?

Old 07-01-2007, 07:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Namaste

When do you know you have a problem?

This may sound like a really stupid question, but sometimes I get confused. What input do you have?
Old 07-01-2007, 07:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
No, not Jim Beam!

When you start asking yourself or otherwise pondering that question itself - that's a good sign.

Have family and/or friends said anything to you, even jokingly? That's another good sign.

For me, it was the first one I mentioned. I wish I'd answered it honestly to myself wayyy back then, but the addict in my head already had his answer to that question ready and it took me a long and painful time before I was ready to truly surrender. I'm grateful I finally did!

Good on ya for asking about it on the boards here; you'll get lots of great answers and support.
Old 07-01-2007, 07:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

When ever you think you have to ask those questions.
It may be time to start considering you may or may be progressing that way.
nobody knows better than you whats going on in your mind.
Old 07-01-2007, 07:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
believer

i read somewhere that if something is exaggerate and breaks the balance of a life...and doesn't let you do certain things, like work or other issues, then it might be considered addiction...the word is scary..but the truth is better..whether it is or not the truth for you now, only you can tell..

but i want to welcome you..you will see much wiser people than me to help you out very soon....glad to have you here...as you may have seen there's also a lot of info in the forum...take care
Old 07-01-2007, 07:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

i could drink moderately for long periods of time but would have blackouts. first, it was one every few years, then one a year, then several in one year. alcoholism is progressive.

the first time i looked online about alcoholism was about 8 years ago. the first time i posted on an alcohol-related site was almost a year ago. that is when i finally admitted to another person that i was an alcoholic.

keep looking around on the internet. there's lots of good info out there. check the aa site.

A number of short screening tests are available. here are a few.

CAGE Test. The CAGE test is an acronym for the following questions and is the quickest test:

Attempts to CUT (C) down on drinking.
ANNOYANCE (A) with criticisms about drinking.
GUILT (G) about drinking.
Use of alcohol as an EYE-OPENER (E) in the morning.
This test and another called the Self-Administered Alcoholism Screening Test (SAAST) appear to be most useful in detecting possible alcoholism in white, middle-aged males. They are not very accurate for identifying alcohol abuse in older people, white women, and African and Mexican Americans.

T-ACE Test. The T-ACE test is a four-question test that appears to be quite accurate in identifying alcoholism in both men and women. It asks the following questions:

Does it TAKE (T) more than three drinks to make you feel high?
Have you ever been ANNOYED (A) by people's criticism of your drinking?
Are you trying to CUT DOWN (C) on drinking?
Have you ever used alcohol as an EYE OPENER (E) in the morning?
A positive response to two of these four questions is considered to indicate possible alcohol abuse or dependence.

AUDIT Test. A more effective and important test for most people may be the Alcohol Use Disorders Identification Test (AUDIT), which is the only test specifically designed to identify hazardous or harmful drinking. It asks three questions about amount and frequency of drinking, three questions about alcohol dependence, and four questions about problems related to alcohol consumption.

A Single-Question. One simple question may be as sensitive as the CAGE or AUDIT: "When was the last time you had more than five drinks (for men) or four drinks (for women) in one day?" An answer of "within three months" accurately identified about half of people who were problem drinkers. Problem drinking is defined as hazardous drinking within the last month or some alcohol-use disorder during the past year.
Old 07-01-2007, 08:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

If you are having a problem in your life
any problem
caused by drinking and or drugging

then you have a problem.

Take care
Old 07-01-2007, 08:11 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Namaste

I would say that I have a problem in that when I do drink, I dont know how to stop and it becomes the complete focus of my attention. I get very drunk and black out, and I dont think I am very fun to hang out with when drunk. When I DO drink, I am likely to make even more poor choices, such as buy drugs or drive a car (I have never driven a car while completely wasted, but, I definitely have been more than enough situations where I have driven when I shouldnt). I often lose things, such as a wallet, phone, keys, cards, etc...and I often get hurt when I drink, for instance, I once practically broke my rib and dont know how it happened. Basically I can go days without drinking, but if I have that second drink, especially when I am in a social setting (I can stop when I have a drink at home), then I dont know when to stop, and I get VERY embarassed, as I engage in behavior that could definitely hurt me or someone else. I want to stop drinking in all social settings, and I want to push all drugs out of my life (I would say that I have been known to use some sort of drug at least once or twice a month, sometimes more). Am I a candidate for AA/NA?
Old 07-01-2007, 08:14 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I think you just answered yourself. What do you think?
Old 07-01-2007, 08:19 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Namaste

Ok, just needed some feedback, as this is a new world to me and I want to be a responsible person who is able to be a good friend and family member. I dont think I am being the best person I can be if I drink or do drugs.

Another possibly stupid question is this--there are places and times when I know I wont overdrink, for instance, at home I might have a glass of wine with dinner. Even though I seem to be able to control myself then, Should I be sure to completely omit drinking from my life?

I feel I may be embarrassing myself for asking these questions, please forgive me if I seem really naiive.
Old 07-01-2007, 08:25 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

no question is stupid. Ever. Especially when it comes to addiction.
Some people really dont know.
If my responses seem a little short. Its because I want you to see that you already know in a way.
Never be afraid to ask anything.
But you seem to know the answers already. You do not need confirmation from anyone if you think you have a problem.
You already answered another question.
Change your enviroment.
You see where I am coming from?
You have it all there.
You know. Just believe in what you already know.
Always reach out when in doubt!
We are here to help and give support the best we can.
You can change what you dont like about you.
Never naive to looking for support.
You are asking common questions.
Old 07-01-2007, 08:49 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I suggest you start with AA
as alcohol is often a gateway to
other drugs.

I say that because every time I did drugs
I had been drinking first.

Do you have to abstain?

I did because a bit was just
not getting me the high I wanted.

Why not stop completely for a month
get help with AA or counseling or SMART
and see how you feel then?

Your future is at risk
Don't gamble.
Old 07-01-2007, 09:33 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

when I do drink, I dont know how to stop and it becomes the complete focus of my attention.
Right there, you said it.

And yeah, AA is what finally got me to stay stopped. Quitting was easy, I did it all the time
Old 07-01-2007, 09:36 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

see for yourself:

http://www.soberplace.com/20questions/
Old 07-01-2007, 10:55 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Carpe Diem

Misscat, the fact that you are asking yourself these questions usually is enough of a warning to show that you may have a serious problem. There isn't anyone here that can tell you that, you'll have to come to grips with it on your own. I am glad to see that you are looking for help, you've certainly come to the right place!
If you admit that drinking is a problem for you (if that's the case), then omitting alcohol in it's entirety is usually the way to go, as is attending AA meetings or finding other psychological help. Many of us have learned that complete abstinence from all drugs, including alcohol, is essential for recovery.
Good luck!
Old 07-02-2007, 05:15 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Dom
Inspired

I no longer trusted myself. I did not want to use, but I felt that I had to. I was in a constant state of uncomfortability. My life completely revolved around the use of drugs.

It is at our times of utter desperation that we turn to whatever decency is left in us.
Old 07-02-2007, 05:19 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Namaste

Thanks everyone, you have been helpful...
So I guess this is day 2 then...
I'll be sticking around!
Old 07-02-2007, 07:23 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
let it grow!

keep coming back, misscat! blessings, k