Notices

Sober for 12 hours. Not feeling good =(

Old 05-16-2007, 08:44 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

chim, my last drink was Monday morning at 4:00, after binging the weekend on bourbon and beer. Finally ran out of booze. Like you, too sick to drive..especially since the nearest store is 15 miles away (good thing reflectively). Monday for me was just as you describe. Called in sick to work. I couldn't even sit or lie down..the anxiety and panic-ey feelings were so bad. I paced the house all. day. Literally...just paced from one end of the house to the other. Wringing my hands together with intermittent weeping, groaning and hyperventilating. Right out of "One flew over the Cuckos Nest." Night was even worse. Sweats, anxiety, panic. No sleep.

Tue made it to work..down to feeling like a "normal" hangover. Weird to appreciate a "normal" hangover after that, but I did. Not that I didn't want to feel good, of course...but it was SO MUCH BETTER than Monday. And even better, slept great that night!

Wed feel really good!

After that experience, I'm never going back. I was even afraid of what I might do to myself. Too horrid and scary of a place for me to go again.

Hang in there. I've always been more of a "weekend" drinker, and that may be why it's turned around quicker than it does for others (from what I'm reading). That's my "binge" time, and during the week a couple of drinks in the evening - although I could see that starting to esculate - and another reason to stop now. Anyway, third day...and I'm doing great!

Last edited by GretaG; 05-16-2007 at 09:09 AM.
Old 05-16-2007, 08:47 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hope you're OK Chim, Well done GretaG.
Old 05-16-2007, 08:55 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Forgot to add, I was so scared Monday, I pm'd a member of another message board I frequent (just chit-chat) and begged her to call me at my home. She had shared once that she was once an addict, and had become clean and sober a few years ago. And Monday, I KNEW I was ready to stop.

A total stranger. We were never particulary friendly on the board. But still, I pleaded with her to call me long-distance, to give me some direction. She did, which I'm very thankful for. But that's how desperate it gets.
Old 05-16-2007, 05:06 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Thanks for all your help and support. It's now 8:02pm and it has been 40 hours now and the anxiety is calming down, I kinda feel like I have an exam or something, nothing as horrible as yesterday. Especially with the nightmarish sleep. I took the handle of Skyy and finally poured it down the drain. I'm done with alcohol.. I was all crazy suicidal tuesday and you guys got me through it. I'm feeling almost normal now. I drove my car before and it was ok. Slightly disoriented but not that big of a deal and the panickyness is about gone. Still debating on getting Valium, but then I didn't feel like messing my head up with any drugs. Thanks again everyone.. hopefully tomorrow I'll be 100% again and my life will be back. =)
Old 05-16-2007, 05:09 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
get it, give it, grow in it

As the parent of an addict I hope you can turn to your parents and let them know that you want to quit. The first step is to admit you are powerless and honesty.
Old 05-16-2007, 05:37 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Chim,

thanks for checking in. I understand your impatience to feel better and to get your life back, but please try to stay in today - this can help when you are giving up something you've used for years to numb your feelings.

Spirutal Seeker, welcome to the board - I'm glad you found us.

Rowan
Old 05-16-2007, 07:31 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Chim,
Glad to hear you are feeling better. Remember to be careful, though. I was feeling much better on my third day of detoxing myself when I had a seizure. I tell you this not as a war story, but rather as a case in point about how dangerous detoxing really is. Keep yourself well hydrated. If you are going to go to the doctor, be sure to tell him about what you are doing.
Congrats on staying sober this long and welcome to SR.