SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Sober for 12 hours. Not feeling good =( (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/123646-sober-12-hours-not-feeling-good.html)

Chim721 05-15-2007 02:58 PM

Sober for 12 hours. Not feeling good =(

Hi, I just decided that waking up to this crazy intense anxiety every morning from drinking 8-20 beers or vodka with the guys is completely not worth it. I've been drinking about 8 beers a night for 2 years then I upped it my senior year in college to large glasses of vodka and soda, so much that I'd black out almost everynight and just pass out in my room. I figured enough was enough so I stopped today. My last drink was around 4 or 5am last night and woke up with insane anxiety and somewhat panicy attacks, but not full out. I don't even think I could go to a Doctor to get an Rx because I'm too anxious to drive a car. Is there anything I can do to make this pass. I went 3 days sober maybe 3 or 4 times but everytime the withdrawal got worse and worse. This being the last time, I'm def done drinking. I even got fired because I'd come into work all hungover and anxious so bad that I'd have to leave a meeting or I'd feel so crappy and anxious I'd go to my car for 2 hours at a time and try to sleep. Another thing, I know I'm not going to be able to go to sleep tonight until maybe 5am. Has anyone went through this before or does anyone have suggestions as what to do. I've been sitting in my basement all day axious and getting paniced over possibly having a panic attack.

Thanks,
Matt

Alive 05-15-2007 03:00 PM

Welcome. I can't sleep either. But with time we will sleep peacefully. Know you came to a very great place of support and wisdom....

Chim721 05-15-2007 03:08 PM

I forgot to mention, one more thing.. I don't have insurance. So any medication stuff would be out of pocket which would be ok up to like $50 or so but the Drs visit is going to kill my wallet if I decide to go. I really can't take this anxiety anymore, I have a handle of Skyy vodka by me, but I'm about to go pour it down the drain.

Krys_wyo 05-15-2007 03:13 PM

My brother quit thursday and after 3 days of sweats and anxiety throwing up, and no sleep he is alot better now.
Getting all that out of your system is the hard part after that it is keeping your will to stay quit strong and seeking help and support from friends family or even here.
It will get better I have been there and i have no reason to lie and say it isnt hard somedays but when the days come that you forget to think about drinking then the sleep is there and it is good. I will be sober for 11 months tomorrow and thanks to myself, god , this place and a nice little prescription of buspar for anxiety i sleep good and dont regret a sober day so far.
Good luck and keep posting cause as long as you are trying then people here are trying to help.
For the next 72 hours it is important to Hydrate hydrate and hydrate!!!!!

Alive 05-15-2007 03:23 PM

Glad you are putting everything destructive on the trash. That's the right thing to do.

Karim

Catastrophic 05-15-2007 03:43 PM

Keep it up - I am on day 5 now. I feel cool. Pour the vodka down the drain. It's great to wake up in the morning without that nauseous day after feeling.

Rowan 05-15-2007 04:06 PM

Hi Chim,

Welcome to SR - it can be dangerous to detox on your own - and always best under a doctor's supervision. Can you have a friend drive you to one, or to a detox centre where you can be supervised while you dry out?
I hope you stick around - I'm glad you found us.

Rowan

parentrecovers 05-15-2007 04:07 PM

hang in there, chim and catastrophic. blessings, k

gypsytears 05-15-2007 04:43 PM

No insurance is tough on the wallet that's for sure... but if you need to see a doctor please do. I agree that the best thing would be to dump out the vodka if you haven't already. Drink plenty of water and try to eat lightly if you can manage. You'll be feeling better once the alcohol leaves your system. :)

Chim721 05-15-2007 06:06 PM

Thanks for all of your input.. This is definitely helping me out a lot. I just need some Valium or something to kick this anxiety then hopefully I'll be ok.

Anna 05-15-2007 06:11 PM

Welcome Chim!

Check with your dr and get his advice.

You are not alone and there's lots of support here.

chicago 05-15-2007 06:23 PM

you need medical supervision. quiting alcohol cold turkey can be fatal. you need to see a DR.

GlassPrisoner 05-15-2007 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by Chim721 (Post 1333204)
Thanks for all of your input.. This is definitely helping me out a lot. I just need some Valium or something to kick this anxiety then hopefully I'll be ok.

Well, you SHOULD see a Doctor.

Time is the only thing that's gonna help. Valium will make you more comfy, but you've gotta be careful. I used to tell the Dr I was gonna quit, have him prescribe me some Valium, then chase it with Vodka.

You need a plan for after the wihdraw. Stoppings easy (well, relatively). Staying stopped is the hard part. Then you're right back where you are now.....

nogard 05-15-2007 07:35 PM

Welcome to SR and enjoy that open and honesty chat with your DR :)

CarolD 05-15-2007 07:47 PM

Hi n and Welcome!

If your de toxing becomes unbearable,,,,call the EMT's

I suggest you look at the top 2 sticky post here

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/

Be safe...

Chim721 05-15-2007 11:13 PM

Almost 24 hours... Anxiety is still kinda here and I get these weird panicky sensations every now and then.

Rowan 05-16-2007 06:01 AM

Keep posting Chim - we are here.

Anna 05-16-2007 06:04 AM

That sounds pretty normal Chin.

I hope you let us know how you are doing today.

cyberwolf 05-16-2007 06:35 AM

Hi Chim

Kinda new to this myself, I can totally associate with your anxiety thing i's h*ll, I started to get real bad anxiety like you the day after I drank and te only thing that would cure it would be a drink, and so the cycle went on. I hate not being in control and feeling like the world will end and feeling on edge. This is day 11 for me and yesterday was the 1st day I was able to go to the supermarket without having a panic attack, don't get me wrong I still felt a bit anxious but it passed real quick. Today I feel even still a bit better and I went into work for an hour just to prove to myself I could then went to the supermarket again just to prove yesterday wasn't a one off.

It DEFINITELY gets better, I had valium prescribed but to be honest found that made me more anxious, thats not to say it won't work for you. But the relief from the anxiety is immense, I still feel a bit edgy but I am a whole lot better

Hang in there

parentrecovers 05-16-2007 06:36 AM

how's chim this morn?