Notices

Why why WHY?

Old 04-17-2007, 11:18 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
I'm a Pickle

I think I will get an alcohol counselor. I have a counselor already and I tell her how much I drin and she doesn't seem to think I have much of a problem, she just says "just dont drink so much." DUH. Thats what everyone says. I think I need some one to tell me DO NOT DRINK.
Old 04-17-2007, 11:21 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
I'm a Pickle

And I know I dont need to listen to other people. If I dont want to drink, I dont want to drink, and I KNOW that is what is best for me. Alcohol is a dangerous, terrible drug and there is nothing wrong with me choosing not to take part in doing that to myself. Some people can handle it, I cant. I want to be a RESPECTABLE person. Right now I dont even respect myself and so no one else can or does Im sure. I dont want to be "that drunk girl" any more that talks to loud, gets annoying, stumbles around, forgets where shes at.... I want to be known for who I AM, not what alcohol makes me.....
Old 04-17-2007, 11:27 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

What hurts is people...

that just dont understand and say "Just Dont Drink" well D'uh! do you think if we could stop at one or two we would be in this situation. I am a heavy drinker note saying am as Im just starting in day two of being sober its 6.25 am here . I could down two bottles of wine every second night then came occasionally three ( the next day I represented a corspe I was so sick after a 3 bottle night!!) Im scared and I know what you are going through
(((((hugs))))
Ang
Old 04-17-2007, 11:41 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Wink

Originally Posted by wiscgirl30 View Post
I think I will get an alcohol counselor. I have a counselor already and I tell her how much I drin and she doesn't seem to think I have much of a problem, she just says "just dont drink so much." DUH. Thats what everyone says. I think I need some one to tell me DO NOT DRINK.
What part of DO NOT DRINK don't you understand? Now before you get all defensive and think I'm just going to scold you listen up. No one, absolutely no one, ever recovers from this disease. I'm truly sorry you're in the postition you're in. I was there once too. I need undertanding, love, and attention just like everyone else. i got it and then some.

If it were in my power to relieve you of your problem believe me I would. But I am as powerless over alcohol today as I was almost 21 years ago. There are many ways to help yourself, one of which is going to AA. While many have an aversion to AA because of what they've heard, what they think, or what they've witnessed in one or two meetings, AA has helped millions of people find a new way of life. If not AA, then do find an counselor that deal with alcoholism. There are also other program which seem to have some success. Just don't try this alone. "Kids, don't try this at home." "Closed course, professional driver." Ever seen those on TV? The same applies here.

Alcoholism is dangerous and its only desire is to maim, kill, and destroy. To try to beat this on your own is like going to hunt bear in Alaska with a sling shot. You will get eaten alive.

My hope is that you will let someone else into your life that will help you.

xxoo,
Ed
Old 04-17-2007, 11:48 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Wink

Originally Posted by angie9 View Post
that just dont understand and say "Just Dont Drink" well D'uh! do you think if we could stop at one or two we would be in this situation. I am a heavy drinker note saying am as Im just starting in day two of being sober its 6.25 am here . I could down two bottles of wine every second night then came occasionally three ( the next day I represented a corspe I was so sick after a 3 bottle night!!) Im scared and I know what you are going through
(((((hugs))))
Ang
Ang,

Another Kiwi, what a pleasure. You and Wisc seem to have much in common. What you don't have is a solution, yet. I saw that you are going to AA meeting on Thursday, why not today? It's just 6:45 AM in Aukland right now. You have the whole day ahead of you. By the way..."I can't" is not an acceptable answer. Maybe "I won't" is, I don't know.

You will find all the warm fuzzies on SR that will make you feel a little bit better. And you will find people here in the same position you're in. People who will commiserate with you, "Misery loves company" Well, I love you too, what's not to love about a Kiwi?

Be kind to yourself today. Give yourself every chance you can to change your life.

Yours in sobriety,
Ed
Old 04-17-2007, 12:04 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Thanks Golfman :0) ( it wont let me do a proper smiley face) Your right its just Ive convinced DH to come I panic when Im around people I dont know I did go on my own back in Dec and felt terrified in a room full of people I didnt know ( even tho they knew what I was going through) Im working today and have a friend coming over tonight her hubby has given up smoking for six months Im gonna use him as a mentor ( my DH smokes heavily and tho this is a feeble attempt of me trying to justifie telling me to quite drinking while hes smoking dosent get through to me. I feel positive now its just early evening Im bad actually to be honest it was getting earlier and earlier as I was ( foolishly thinking if I drink earlier I will sober up before DH comes home NOPE Wrong!!
thanks for the support and yep get my A into G and practice what I say and thanks for the kind comments about kiwis :0) hope we do well at the yaughting .. Americas Cup GO KIWIS Kia Kaha! ( stay strong)
Old 04-17-2007, 02:22 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

My world was getting smaller and smaller and I was becoming less and less functional. I had tried self recovery for years. Sometimes I went weeks! but usually just a day or two followed by the same old self hate.

One day , just the usually morning--get up, throw up, have something to drink, I told my husband when he came home for lunch (small town) that I was an alcoholic and needed help. He hadn't a clue. I was REALLY GOOD at hiding it.

I finally began formal therapy. That was almost 3 years ago.

I don't count days, only years. Don't usually have any cravings anymore but when they do pop up, I fall back on the old "one day at a time". (I'm not an AA'er but they did give me some usefull tools during the few months I attended.)

I consider myself a really strong person but this was one battle I couldn't win alone.

You really should consider some outside help, no matter what method you chose.

jane
Old 04-17-2007, 02:28 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by wiscgirl30 View Post
'just don't drink so much'. LOL.

Maybe you do need to think about a different counselor...? I'm sure the counselor's well meaning, but probably not very conversant with alcohol abuse...it's not about how much you drink, it's about how it affects us...

and BTW hitting 'rock bottom' isn't always about something bad happening...for me, it was realising, if I want to live rather than simply exist, I no longer have the choice to keep hurting myself through alcohol...I just got to a point where I had to try to stop, and *really* try not just talk about it. And if I fail this time, I'll try again, and again and...

stay strong
D
Old 04-17-2007, 07:20 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

i hope you are feeling better. i too did this for years. "why the hell do i keep doing this"? i would ask myself over and over again. i need to change so bad, i would tell myself. i was also sick and tired of being sick and tired. there are thoughts and there are actions, and AA is "acting into a different way of thinking" instead of thinking yourself into a different way of acting or something

just do (stop drinking) and don't think. just do go to aa, don't think about it anymore, you have thought about it enough. you know what you need to do. you just need to do it.

okay im done. good luck to you!!
Old 04-21-2007, 07:40 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Dom
Inspired

How are you feeling today? Have you used since? And I say "use" because I believe you are using the intoxicating nature of alcohol to drown your feelings. Please let us know!!!