Notices

Have you been to a rehab center? What do they do there?

Old 03-31-2007, 11:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Have you been to a rehab center? What do they do there?

I think I need help. I know I need help. I am considering a rehab center. Has anyone had any experience in one? Is it effective? Will I be less likely to relapse?
Old 03-31-2007, 12:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi yahboogoo,

Welcome to SR - this is a terrific site.

Not everyone decides to go to rehab. I didn't go until I had two years sober, then relapsed. Where I went, focus was on mood disorders (I suffer from depression) and on addictions (for me, booze and pills). It was a 26 day program. It's not a cure-all, by no means. I had to continue to do what I was taught while there, after I got out and rejoined the real world.
What I think is important about rehab is this; for some, who find it too tempting when first getting clean and/or sober, it can provide a safe haven of sorts. Others will be along to share their experiences, this is just mine.
Again, welcome. Hope you stick around and let us get to know you.

Rowan
Old 03-31-2007, 02:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I had to continue to do what I was taught while there, after I got out and rejoined the real world.
That's a very important point. You have to live in recovery one day at a time, as long as you want to stay sober. I didn't, and was soon drunk again. (6-8 weeks later)

They'll de-tox you first, then send you to daily meetings and classes to educate you. Good ones will moniter your diet and treat your malnutrition. They will most likely introduce you to a 12 step program, and tell you to continue going after you're released.
Old 03-31-2007, 02:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yes i have been to rehab and it is great.You learn to dry out and of course they help you to learn about yourself and the alcohol that made you what you have become today and you have a lot of people there with the same problems and you find out you arent alone with this decease.They also learn you how to use the tools of the program,the big book and how to manage sobriety day by day.It was the best choice i have ever made.Goodluck...
Old 03-31-2007, 03:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hello and wellcome to SR,

I have also been to Rehab. It was a positive experience.

Keep us informed, glad you could join us...
Old 03-31-2007, 04:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Life is Grand

I learned to live again, on the most basic level at rehab. Sleep at night, awake in the day. Job functions...no free lunch. Concentrate on recovery and yourself...not what other people are doing/thinking. I learned that I am not alone in the struggle. I learned to deal with other personalities and to start to trust people again. Lots more.....that was in April of 1994, I have been clean ever since. On the other hand, I know of way to many who went out and used again, are in jail or dead...it all depends on how much you want it to work. I need to add, that it was not the first time in rehab..it was my third...I was just willing to do anything it took to get and stay sober the last time.

Good luck...Cathy
Old 03-31-2007, 06:38 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

I spent two years in rehab in London in 76 and it and the people running it gave me back my life and the tools to live it day by day.

Good Luck
Old 03-31-2007, 07:03 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

wow, nogard, two years? I can't imagine. Thanks for your responses. Part of me worry is that i'm not spiritual in any way and I may go mad in a place where I can't get away from it. And I'm worried that it's just too much, too much.
Old 03-31-2007, 07:06 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

yep two years and it was fantastic. Are you talking about detox (did mine in a padded cell in a prison hospital)? If so thats very different, takes you through detoxing and lasts about 1 - 2 weeks but after that you will need help and support thats why I went to rehab.

Kevin
Old 03-31-2007, 07:29 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Yep been there , done that...
when I went in 2001 was when it just started to be "in vogue"...all the celebs were doing it as well...hehehe
there were also a lot of movies out about that time...
Sandra Bullock in 28 days... Michael Keaton...Clean & Sober, and that movie "Pay it forward"...with the kid who's mom was an addict....
Basically it is what you make it...if you want to quit and get a fresh start it's a great chance to do that...
I was forced...but once I got there I decided to make the most of it...I've been clean & sober ever since
But if you're going there with a bad attitude and thinking it's not going to work then it may not...I've heard of some people around the tables who've treatment like 14 times...
Personally I didn't like being "locked up"...without my car, my driving priviledges, my kids...and didn't want to ever go back there or somewhere worse...
Old 03-31-2007, 07:37 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

there are many types of "rehab" the one I wrote about is still around and does not fit the rehab "mold" today. Its worth taking a look around.

Kevin