Notices

Hungover - Concentration?

Old 03-22-2007, 05:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hungover - Concentration?

This seems kind of obvious now but I have a question.

I had a real problem at work with concentration, and with getting things done. I never drank while at work, but I was always hung over. Does that affect your concentration? I would have my list of things I wanted to get done that day, and I just could not get them done. Then I would be all depressed at how little I got done. What is that? Depression of the effects of a hangover?

I have not been back to work since I quit drinking.
Old 03-22-2007, 07:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

yes & yes. And thats just BARELY scratching the surface of what alcohol does for a person.
Old 03-22-2007, 07:49 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
I'm a Pickle

When Im hungover, I STILL forget about a lot of stuff I did that day. Concentration is horrible, and depression is the worst. Just think - we never have to have one again if we dont want to!
Old 03-22-2007, 08:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm not sure if it is alcohol... or depression... did depression cause me to drink or did alcohol make me depressed?

Who knows... chicken or egg?

I was a very driven... ambitious... person who worked at high tempo and maximum output all day long... I would crank stuff out... and want to do more work... I wanted to work 10,12,14 hour days...

alcohol/depression... get me where doing 15 minutes of work in a day was a real struggle...

It is coming back slowly...

Yes a hang over can do that to you... it did to me... and for me the longer I drank the worse it got. and it spread... I quit having the desire to do things around the house... then I lost the desire to do stuff with my kids... and I lost the desire to keep up my personal hygeen.

eventually all I wanted to do was get home... get the kids to bed... so I could drink...

I got scared... I was scared everything was going to come crashing down... I was scared I would loose my job, my wife... my kids... and have nothing

for some they have to loose all that to hit their bottom... me... I was always a scardy cat...

Ok so I don't know if it is normal but it happened to me... I couldn't concentrate... and I didn't want to do anything... my mind was jumping around so much I couldn't stay focused... I was irritable... that everything distracted me.

Sorry to be long winded...

but I see the light at the end of the tunnel... I am regaining my desire to work... I am able to concentrate a bit more... today than I could a few weeks ago...

GL
Old 03-22-2007, 08:16 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Wink

Hang over? Some of the hangovers I had were so bad I didn't even remember where the bathroom was, let alone be able to get any work done.

Of course the worst were when I'd finally wake up and I'd hear those 8 words that I came to despise..."Do you know what you did last night?"

So glad I don't have to here that anymore. Of course, now I remember everything and sometimes it's not pretty. I will say things or do things that aren't quite recovery material. I'll go to bed thinking I'll forget but dang if it doesn't come back the next to bite me on the a55.

Still better than the alternative.
Old 03-22-2007, 08:25 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Rock-chalk-jayhawk..

i remember when i worked for a landscaping crew mowing lawns in the summer time. ide been drinking all nite with only a hour or two of sleep then have to go out and mow lawns all day. in kansas it gets hot 100 out with 90 percent humiditity. 8 hours felt like dien. i would sweat so much and smell the booze coming out of me. you would think doing that once would be enough. nope! not for me.. i did that many times. how stupid i was. aww those were the days lol (kidding of course)...jason
Old 03-22-2007, 08:28 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I think back over the years of working, and my ability to get work done seems to inversely correlate with the amount I drank.

It became a never ending loop. I would drink, then I would not get much work done the next day, so I would drink because I was frustrated about it, then I would not get work done again, then I would drink, and on and on....
Old 03-22-2007, 09:13 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I think back over the years of working, and my ability to get work done seems to inversely correlate with the amount I drank.

It became a never ending loop. I would drink, then I would not get much work done the next day, so I would drink because I was frustrated about it, then I would not get work done again, then I would drink, and on and on....
And I wonder why I got fired.........
Old 03-22-2007, 10:55 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hangovers, hangovers, hangovers.........If it weren't for hangovers, I'd prolly be dead years ago. I have had horrendous hangovers since the beginning of my drinking life. For many, many years, my hangovers would keep me from drinking. I never wanted to drink while hungover, and my hangovers lasted 2 or 3 days. Once I realized that drinking was a quick, although temporary cure, I began to develop a drinking problem. This was only delaying, not curing the hangover.
Old 03-22-2007, 01:03 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Hope3

Swimming, yes it affects your thinking, or lack of it...

I really suggest the book "Beyond the Influence" It has

all the facts about the disease and affects of it. As well as

much more useful information for recovery...

Keep swimming up stream, hope3