Notices

New and need help

Old 01-30-2007, 09:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New and need help

Hi everyone. I've been lurking, but scared to post/start. Really scared. I drink every night. I have two little ones (under 4) and as soon as they're asleep I open the wine. Every morning I wake up and say I'm going to cut back, take a night off - and then something happens during the day and I think, "Screw it." My intake has increased to a full bottle and I'm hiding liquor to keep the amount a secret from my husband. I'm tired of the sideways, disapproving look from him when I pour another glass. I'm tired of being a bit "fuzzy" on the details of the night before, of what exactly happened on a show we watched, of what was said. I'm terrified of stopping, though - I can't imagine life without alcohol, but I know I can't go on like this. Things have slipped out of control for me.

I've hesitated about posting, about "coming out" because I also am terrified of being judged. Can someone help me? Wisdom and experience would be much appreciated.

One question - has anyone managed to go to meetings when they have young children and no childcare? How did that work?
Old 01-30-2007, 09:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
let it grow!

welcome, mama - nice to meet you and so glad you found us. no one will judge you here, so keep posting.

two kids under 4!?!? that sounds like a handful.

more folks will follow. again, welcome! blessings, k
Old 01-30-2007, 09:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SoberRecovery. I remember when I couldnt picture a life without alcohol too. That does pass. Check the meeting schedule. Many AA meetings do have child care. I see plenty of women bring there children into meetings also. As long as they can keep them under control most people dont mind. http://www.alcoholics-anonymous.org
Old 01-30-2007, 09:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
wife of acoholic and addict

A lot of meeting places have babysitting services available. Some are at the same place as the meeting and others you would have to call first to make arrangements. Good luck.
Old 01-30-2007, 10:22 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

mama,

your story sounds alot like mine. i also have two little ones under 4, and was drinking everynight and hiding alcohol from hubby -
mid november i had enough, i was scared that one day my little ones would know what was going on. I didn't want to be that person anymore, that mother. I had enough and came to SR and started AA. - i have drank a few times (relapse) since then but not alot and not secretly.
- life is much better now. i couldn't imagine it before but now i get it- plus no hangovers. It is hard true, but the rewards are wonderful.
alcoholism is a disease, same as diabetes. you wouldn't judge someone for having diabetes...
there is a book called under the influence which helps understanding the disease.

join us on the mommies board (any moms out there staying sane....) you will find lots of us JUST LIKE YOU.

good luck and welcome.

Last edited by curlylocks; 01-30-2007 at 10:41 AM.
Old 01-30-2007, 10:29 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hello, MamaOf2!

I'll second what Curlylocks said--what you posted sounds a lot like me, though my kids are a bit older. I, too, was in about the same place with wine, even to the point of sneaking it, refilling empty bottles with colored water to disguise the amount of my intake from my husband, etc.

This site has been a Godsend for me--I am so thankful for it. I am especially thankful for the other "mommies". DO join us on the mom thread! Go here:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...part-12-a.html

Take care,
Jane
Old 01-30-2007, 12:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Hello Mama, and welcome!

My children are older than yours, but they attend 2-5 meetings every week with me. There are plenty of other parents in recovery who bring their kids to our meetings, some of them infants. At our hall we don't have child care, but we do have a separate room with a speaker system so parents with children can listen to the meeting if they'd like to be in a different room with their kids.

Check around, there are probably many options available to you. Nobody will turn you away from recovery because your children are with you.
Old 01-30-2007, 12:14 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome Mama !

Good advice here, not much to add.

I'm glad you've made a decision. Personally, I use AA and have found it to be a God send.

Good Luck and God Bless.
Old 01-30-2007, 01:16 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Mamaof2,
I'm a mama of 3 (a bit older than yours) but our stories are pretty similar. You have come to a good place full of great people who will support your decisions to change without judging you.
Welcome and congrats on taking the first step towards a better life for you and for your family.
Remember - one small step at a time. You can do it.

Hugs,
C
Old 01-30-2007, 01:23 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Hope3

Sounds very familar, welcome, theres hope!

Keep commimg back, reading and posting. best wishes, Hope3.
Old 01-30-2007, 02:04 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hi....Welcome!

Please click here for info...

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...influence.html

for excerpts from "Under The Influence"

Congratulations on seeking sobriety!
Blessings to you and your family
Old 01-30-2007, 02:50 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Carol - could you re-link, please? The link dodn't work and I want to read that. TIA!
Old 01-30-2007, 03:46 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

welcome mama of 2! i'm a momma of 3 (age 6 and under)! i've been here about 6 months and have made lots of wise and wonderful friends. keep coming back!
Old 01-30-2007, 04:57 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

We're glad you're here, Mama
Old 02-05-2007, 08:49 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

mama---how are you doing? come out, come out, wherever you are...hope you are hanging in there!
Old 02-06-2007, 04:43 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Maw... no judgment here...

glad you are trying to make a better life for all envolved... first off... you!...

good wishes Maw...

xxoo, rz