Notices

Any Moms Out There Keeping Sane While Not Using Part 12

Old 02-02-2007, 06:58 AM
  # 381 (permalink)  

this is what it looks like here...minus the wolves, of course....

Old 02-02-2007, 07:07 AM
  # 382 (permalink)  

all I can say, is what a wonderful group of woman I have found!!! Sometimes I wish we could all get together in person, and laugh, cry, scream, comfort, etc....
Thanks for your post, and I will be there for my friend, and she can survive this.

I have to backtrack and see how everyone else is doing,I have missed alot
Old 02-02-2007, 07:54 AM
  # 383 (permalink)  
Sober and Free

Pookie, take what is offered and and grab on. Drinking really didn't numb us the way we think it did. Come on deary, you know that if you drank you'd either rage at someone, or take out your emotions of your sick son and sick friend on any one and everyone who happens upon your path ... mean while, they are still sick, and your not their for them but more importantly, your not there for yourself.
Wring your hands, wipe your sweat, take a deep breath, and don't drink one minute at a time. I know you can do it. I know you can.

I am sorry about your friend, and her family.

Your son, does he have that nasty virus that seems to be going around? My middle girl had it and it was several days of necessary rest.

Lots going on here. I felt like I have had a big ol' sign that says 'vulnerable, attack now!' on me, because it is coming from all directions. But I realized it was two things; one, the people doing this are the same. Their behavior that has lead up to several blow ups and friendships ending (quit tearfully, I might add) is the same. *I* am the one who has changed. I am finding that I have respect <gasp> for myself. Not arrogance, but respect, and it's just not ok with some people.

I also realized, in the end of two incredably challanging weeks, that my HP has given me an invaluable lesson in 'powerlessness'. It's so much more then what I envisioned. It's so much more then me being powerless over alcohol. That whole "powerless over people, places and things" is so right on. I realized my drinking did not cause these problems, and was surprised to find myself stripped of power with that knowledge. I expected relief, I got scared instead. I realized that, in one very major circumstance that has happened within my spiritual group, I truely am a victim. It's not a role I perfer, but the simple fact. And I have learned that I can stay in the residence of perm. victimhood, and the circumstance is big enough I could dwell there loved for quit some time ... but that is only me trying to reclaim a power I never had that I percieve lost. I can react more, get angry, lash out ... but again, that is only me attempting to reclaim a power I never had that I percieve lost.

Then, I found a *true* gift and freedom in powerlessness. This is something I wrote in my journal as the awareness of a positive side of powerlessness came over me:
"I do understand this is me attempting to reclaim this power of people, places, and things that I never had but precieve taken from me. Standing in reconigntion of my own powerlessness is freeing. I move with what is happening, and that is ok. This one moment ends, and another begins, and that is ok."
I dont have to stay holding on to my anger, my hurt, my pain. I can move with the flow, and as the moment passes, let go. Because, what else could I do? I am powerless here. I do not wish to stay feeling this way, but if I attempt to have some power here, here is where I will remain. I have always been powerless over someone elses actions. It was only the illusion that kept me remaining in hard situations because I was trying to get back something I never had. It's all ego.
I have been given a gift of understanding that I can, indeed, let it go. It was never mine to hold on to.

I have lost 3 dear friends I considered sisters. Two from my own spiritual group. They have been going behind the back of our group, for their own gain, and lieing to us about it. In a group like ours, that is huge. We are devistated, but let go and are moving forward. They are officially no longer in our group, and we are looking forward to growing in our deeper level of sisterhood rather then dwelling on the pain.Last night, we came together, and created a space for which to let go of our hurt and anger. We are all powerless of the situation, but full of our own self power and self understanding and we move forward.

The other, I am still not sure what happened. I did something wrong, but it wasnt that big of a deal. I knew I hurt her, I made ammends, I tried to make it right ... but she said she had written off our friendship long before. Says I did not talk to her for 5 months. She named the months, and I knew that was when I realized I could not quit drinking, the dark months when I gave fully into the disease. I opened myself up, shared with her that I am in early recovery and what happened, in brief, during that month. I was informed that was not a good reason, which kinda shocked me as I had just made myself vulnerable. She kept pushing, and in the midst of my own stuff happening, told her I could not take this on (I was litterally bawling, admittly on the verga of a crack) and she took that personally, said I was not a friend, and goodbye.
This woman was like a sister to me, I was married on her property and she was the witness at our wedding. Hit me hard.

But what else can I do? It is freeing to know I am powerless here. I can mourn the friendship, but that is all. I can not change it, no matter how mad or upset I get. So ... I can let it go.

And ... my husband is quitting his job he hates today to resume self employment. He's got a good line up on very good potentials, doing private maintience on homes through property managers and some private home remodels. He already has 2 remodels, one with just a room or two, one an entire house. He loved doing this. But it is scary. He lost clients last time because he was drinking on the job. He doesnt drink now, but that fear is there for me none the less. I remember all too well 9 weeks with out a single dime flowing into this house ... and we had some savings then. He very well may the 'problem drinkers' the BB tells about, but it's hard to trust. Isn't it odd? I'm the one in recovery. I have to remember to work my own program and trust in my HP as each new moment ebbs and flows.

I have to have faith at this point. His job is distroying him, I can see that. I dont know how powerless I am in this. I am just rolling with it and praying right now. He's GREAT at what he does. And he loves it so.
Old 02-02-2007, 07:54 AM
  # 384 (permalink)  
Sober and Free

heeheehee ... like the book I just wrote?
Old 02-02-2007, 08:40 AM
  # 385 (permalink)  

Brandi...

I love reading your posts. I get so much out of them. Especially today. About powerlessness. You are so right about it being more that being powerless over alcohol (or drugs in my case) The night before I went to court to get my daughter back, I was at a meeting and the topic was powerlessness. I spoke in the meeting about how I had to remember that it wasn't only drugs that I was powerless over. It was people, place and things. Like whatever was going to happen in court the next day. Whatever the judge chose to do, I was powerless over.

I have also lost a very dear friend, over HER actions. It is very hard for me to accept. But you made me see it in a different light. I should just mourn the friendship and move on...because I am powerless! Thank you so much, my friend!

Hugs,
Alissa
Old 02-02-2007, 09:04 AM
  # 386 (permalink)  

Morning all,
I was right about the pms, so I have decided that I'm gonna do a better job keeping up with the dates and simply try to avoid posting my feelings that week before because my thoughts are so irrational and when I'm on that emotional rollercoaster, well..most of what I say just don't make sense!

((((Pookie))))so sorry to hear about your friend. you can't change the past and you had your reasons for not answering the calls...so please don't dwell on that, it seems like it might take up some negative energy that needs to be positive energy for your friend. cancer is such a scary word for me, and i imagine it's the same for most of us..especially when it's so close and directly affects loved ones..my thoughts and prayers are with you and your friend and families...miracles do happen!

(((Brandi)))that's tough about the 3 friends, it sounds like you've got some good support from the other ones in the group. It's nice that you all have each other...and reading your post, I was just thinking that you are so healthy and wise emotionally..and you recognize it. that's even better! I for one, enjoyed your "book". I hope everything works out with your dh's new career...you said he loves what he's going to be doing so that's a great thing right off the bat. seems that people are always much more succesfull when they actually enjoy what they do....in all aspects of their lives.

I woke up at my usual 4 a.m., don't know what it is, but for the past several weeks I wake up at that time and usuallu get up, but this morning I stayed in bed and went back to sleep. I had Jonathan asking for help with his taxes and Alex asking about baseball cleats as soon as I woke up. School is out again today...don't kinow why, they say some of the back roads are still bad. And it blows my mind that baseball practice has already been going on for a coupla weeks...they've been practicing inside the high school gym, and will be practicing on the field in about two weeks. Seems like it starts earlier each year! But, I'm taking Alex and two of his friend with me today to some shops in a nearby town..there's about twenty of them right together and they get stuff from target, k mart, and other places and get it by the truckloads and sell it dirt cheap...i could spend days there!

Ayla, I found some nesting Snoopy's and Lucy's that were made in Russia and are signed by the artist. There's this store about 70 miles from here and i'c never been there, but went in and there were tons of nesting things...don't know what you call them, but some were made of glass some wood, etc. all were hand painted and no two were alike. Everything in the store was from this Russian artist almost. Anyway...some of them had like 30 peices and the lady that was running the shop had a few of the nesting peices set up and they looked like stairsteps..the biggest one was over a foot tall and the smallest lookes like they were smaller than a thimble...really neat. The snoopy one was only five peices and the only one that really looked like him was the biggest one on the outside, the others inside had linus, charlie brown, lucy and they didn't look much like the characters. Then the Lucy and Desi one looked nothing like her. It also had 5 peices. I really couldn't afford to be spending money on stuff like that but I got the snoopy one because it was on sale for 35.00. There was a Betty Boop one and it was glass and had 25 peices...very expensive. I asked if she would be getting any more in and she took my number and said she would call when she does. Her son owns the store and the name of it is "From Russia With Love". She said that her son gets some of his jewelry that he sells (also made in Russia and handpainted), from a place in Canton, Ohio. I think there is a guy there that actually knows the artist or something..anyway, I thought it was pretty neat and wondered if you had ever heard of it. I was in a hurry, so i'm not sure if the store was a franchise or what...

being rushed by Alex, told him we would be leaving by 12:00 so I've got to get ready really quick...

Love to everybody and hope everyone has a great day!

oh yeah, I personally like the second and third guys from the right in teh picture...having a hard time deciding...can we just pick which one we want and you send them? is that how it works? i thought you were going into the frying pan business...nothing wrong with having two jobs..., anyway, either one of those 2 will do...I'll p.m. you my address..just let me know when he will be arriving so I can fix myself up!!!!! lol love ya!
Old 02-02-2007, 09:35 AM
  # 387 (permalink)  

I am soooo bored! No energy to cook, clean or do laundry, so being the dork that I am, I've been practicing painting blue horse shoes on my face for the game on Sunday...I look like that picture of Sophie's doll that Ayla posted way back when!

Speaking of the game, whether you love the Colts (me!) or hate them (Ig!) you gotta love Peyton's daddy for this quote:

"What I did," explained Archie on the parenting success, "was 36 years ago I married a wonderful gal. People know that when children turn out pretty good mothers get the credit for that."

Sure wish I would get my voice back.....
Old 02-02-2007, 09:45 AM
  # 388 (permalink)  

hugs to all mommies
i've had a car the last 24 hours, and it has so totally made me feel better. i knew i just needed to get out of the house some...plus jon has been at daycare, woo hoo
i'm ready for the weekend now...gotta give the car back today, tho
damn irs delayed my tax refund...looking like it may be three more weeks....don't know how i'm going to manage no income til then
anyway, i noticed ayla posted a pretty for you all....here's a little sumpin from me:

Old 02-02-2007, 09:45 AM
  # 389 (permalink)  

well Ruby, I can guarantee that i'll be thinking of you while watching the game. Superbowl is a big deal at our house, i think i told you guys that every year we have a party that we call "kegs & eggs"...it's basically an excuse to start drinking at the butt-crack of dawn. Last Superbowl was my first SOBER Superbowl...it was hard, but i did it....drank a few O'Douls instead. I'm not really worried about this year, i should be, because i've been in such a funk....i think because my DH is not drinking (he's had 1/2 beer since superbowl last year - WAY TO GO DH!) it will be easier this year. We're still starting early, but i'll be playing cards with the guys so that will keep me occupied. Anyway, i feel pretty good today...going to the Friday night meeting that i haven't been to in a month, and one of my friends who's been sober for many, many years, but is going through a breakup right now, is going to go with me. THANK GOD IT'S FRIDAY!!!!!!!!!! WOO HOO!

love y'all
Old 02-02-2007, 09:46 AM
  # 390 (permalink)  

brandi that was a really insightful post. It's sad to realize that friends who are unhealthy for our sanity must go. We (those who suffer from low self esteem) hang on to any relationship regardless how hurtful it is and now that we're learning self respect and looking out for our happiness, we don't need to do that anymore. I know I'm going to lose some friends, but I also know that some friendships will become stronger and I will make new friends who are more similar to the real me.

btw, ruby, I'm rooting for da bears. I grew up in Indiana and my Dad is a diehard Colts fan (living in Georgia, lol), but Chicago became "my home" when I married my hubby.
Old 02-02-2007, 09:47 AM
  # 391 (permalink)  

Hi C'est.......how ya doing? Is it late or early for you?
Old 02-02-2007, 09:50 AM
  # 392 (permalink)  
Sober and Free

Misti - nothing likebeing trapped in a house full of kids with no money to bring on the doom and glooms. I am thinking of you. Damn irs, don t they know you need that money?!?
Old 02-02-2007, 09:52 AM
  # 393 (permalink)  

Codie -

**Indigo Girls to appear on CBS Saturday Morning**
Set your VCRs (or Tivo) or get ready to wake early to catch Indigo Girls
on the CBS Early Show this Saturday, February 3, 2007.

Woo Hoo!
Old 02-02-2007, 10:05 AM
  # 394 (permalink)  

took forever to catch up........

Curly, are you feeling better today?? you said you felt down

I am sorry for all the mommies who have Mom trouble, paying back money from when you were a child , That is crazy!!! I had the best Mom on the planet, I am opposite, i try hard to be as wonderful as her, don't think I have made it yet
Ruby--hope you feel better!!

tam--loved the "priceless" post

C'est--Thank you so much!!!!!

Ayla, your words always make me feel better
Brandi- stay strong, your words on friendships were inspiring
Misti-glad you got a car for awhile, and got out, daycare rocks, sometimes!! LOL
Ig-hope your Dr appt works out well, depression can be tough, but it WILL get better
Brynn-thanks for the advice and kind words
anyone I missed, i am sorry!!!!! my mind is a little boggled lately
I love all of you!!!!
Jules????? where have you been, how are you???
Old 02-02-2007, 10:09 AM
  # 395 (permalink)  

AHH, Candy, Scoot, Mom of 3
Love you too, I am going to write down notes!!! LOL
Old 02-02-2007, 10:39 AM
  # 396 (permalink)  

hola mommas!

friday is it? my head still aches and my jaw feels like someone punched it. but hanging in there...

love ya right back ms pookilolo!
Old 02-02-2007, 10:46 AM
  # 397 (permalink)  

scoot- Why are you hurting?? did I miss something???
Old 02-02-2007, 11:04 AM
  # 398 (permalink)  

Hi Mamas (& grampas & Ozzies & friends)

I was just realizing that when my days are packed with tasks that include a lot of running around, that I don't have time to think and I don't have time to have cravings. The busier I am, the easier this is. I know it's probably obvious, but I'm just wrapping myself around the idea. Or maybe I'm just at that place in the journey where it suddenly becomes easier and I don't have to focus so hard on alcohol and alcoholism in order to avoid it.

C'est, I think it was you (or maybe scootin') who said it became a bit easier if you didn't dwell so much on the disease itself. It helps you feel more normal that way and rather than just focus on not drinking, you focus on living. Thank you. Because that's exactly what I am trying to do.

Of course, that doesn't mean get complacent either, or that would just be asking for a relapse, I'm sure.

Love you too Pookie!! Mamaof 2, where are you & how are you doing? Hugs and much love to all of you -- Let me try: ((((Ayla, Brynn, Beezy, Brandi, Misti, Codie, Pookie, Mamaof2, Igfan, Laurence, Kevin, Steve, John, Curly, Alyssa, C'est La Vie, Scootin', Lolllipop, Jane, TamTam, Jules, RustyZipper and anyone else I may have missed!!!!)))))) ((((and all of your kids and grandkids too)))))

Have a great weekend everyone!!!
Old 02-02-2007, 11:07 AM
  # 399 (permalink)  

Having read what I just wrote...do you think that makes me a "dry drunk"? I'm not sure I understand the terminology. I mean, I do still read about alcoholism (but not exclusively anymore) and I am trying to explore my spirituality and enrich my life in many ways (and review ugly parts of my past) even though, technically, I'm not doing the 12 steps in any formal way.

C
Old 02-02-2007, 11:45 AM
  # 400 (permalink)  

pookie--i have several deep cavities in my teeth that had leaky fillings. Yesterday the dentist did some of the work--which involved crawling inside my mouth with heavy equipment. it still hurts!! one of the fillings won't be filled until 2/15 and it is killing me too. other that that, i'm fine. i really shouldn't complain...but it's nice to vent.

big snowflakes coming down outside!!!!!!!! i'm sure these flakes are a fluke and will pass quickly but they are so pretty.

candy--dry drunk refers to acting like a drunk but without drinking. i think? like not treating the underlying problems that lead you seek solace in alcohol or whatever escape mechanism you use. perhaps? ...it's one of those terms that is really oblique. i think there's a thread or two about that somewhere here on SR.

you sound strong and like you are doing the right things!