Notices

Can anyone else relate to this??

Old 01-07-2007, 12:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Can anyone else relate to this??

Hi everyone

I guess I should begin by saying that I am a recovering alcoholic who has been sober now for 2 days. Prior to this 2-day sober period, I had spent several days binge-drinking. The first day I drank 15 beers and on the second day, I drank 10. I have been an alcoholic for almost a year now and sometimes I'll skip several days in between binges.

Anyway, the day after quitting I woke up very sick and hungover. That evening I ate dinner and my temperature climbed to 99.6. I assumed that since alcohol is a severe gastro-intestinal irritant and because the body's blood pressure and rate of metabolism climb after eating that my immune system and other functions were just kicking in or something. I also felt very bloated, short of breath and had heart palpitaions. I went to bed that night very scared.

Today (day 2 of being sober) I woke up feeling a bit better but still not 100%. Toward the afternoon, our next door neighbor's kids began taunting us and throwing lots of trash in our yard (they think we are gay and we are not but they still tease us all the time, vandalize things and trespass on our property - long story!). Anyway, my blood pressure went way up as I became extremely stressed, anxious and angry about this ongoing fued and after I went outside to take pictures (for evidence) I began to feel that sickly feeling come over me again and so I came back inside and took my temperature. It was 99.8 this time and that really terrified me. I'm also a hypochondriac so I was thinking cancer, rabies, hepatitis, etc. I have also been feeling hot, prickly and sweaty.

To give you a little bit more background on me, I am 43/M and I suffer from anxiety, GERD, IBS, allergies, panic attacks and am easily stressed out. I guess I'm just wondering if eating, detoxing from alcohol or severe stress can cause an elevation in temperature. My temperature has fluctuated between 97.6 (in the mornings) to up to 99.6 (in the evenings) for as long as I can remember. Sometimes my temperature doesn't go up very high at all or maybe only a little bit. The doctors always tell me that they are not worried about it and all of my tests always come back normal. It's flu season here in Florida and according to the CDC it is "widespread" but I am one of those people who never gets sick and is always very careful. Right now my temp is 99.4 (I just took it again).

Thanks again for any help you people can provide in providing some insight into what might be going on with me and perhaps being able to personally relate to what I'm going through.

- Regards, NFIS
Old 01-07-2007, 01:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Nfis,

I really think it's a good idea to talk to your dr before you begin to detox from alcohol as it can be very dangerous. You may be going through 'normal' withdrawls, but only your dr can tell you that for sure.

I hope you keep posting.
Old 01-07-2007, 01:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Nfis

I experienced many of those symptoms while I was in withdrawal from alcohol. Excess sweating, anxiety, slight fever, stomach upset, shaking, etc.

It's our bodies cells detoxing. It usually lasts only a few days.

Heart palpitations and shortness of breath are pretty serious and I suggest medical assistance, either a trip to the ER or doctor. When I went, they gave me ativan which lowered the BP and really helped me through the rough spots.

Here's a link:http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-expect.html

Good luck and keep well

Ron
Old 01-07-2007, 01:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

hi Nfis
like the others say i would def see a doctor befor detoxing off any substance people have been known to die from detoxing wrongly in extreme cases, heart palps etc may meen that you are in the extreme group i detoxed in a hospital wing and had several fits and blackouts which usualy began with heart palps, good luck and ignor peoples taunts
Old 01-07-2007, 02:02 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Smile

Doesn't matter whether or not you consider yourself a hyprochondriac, don't pass go, don't collect 200 dollars but DO go directly to your doctor!

Detoxing from alcohol can be very very dangerous. An elevated temperature can signal that you are one of us who NEEDS a medical detox. I had to go to the emergency room with siezures because I thought I was just feeling a "little" nuts... that feeling a little nuts led me into dangerous siezures.

Always best to go to a doc when detoxing.. ALWAYS!!
Old 01-07-2007, 02:59 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Temps are not really dangerous at those levels.

eta: but if you're concerned go to the doc of course.. I honestly don't know anything abotu dangers of detoxing.
Old 01-07-2007, 03:27 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I can relate to the anxiety and panic attacks. That lasted even after I got sober, and required me to go see a doctor. The doctor prescribed medication that controlled my level of anxiety. That was a fews years back and I am off the meds now-not completely anxiety free but no panic attacks.

I would reccomend complete abstinence to alcohol, seeking out a program such as AA, and going to see your doctor about your anxiety and panic condition.

Good luck in your journey..
Old 01-07-2007, 03:41 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

dont mean to dissagree but complete abstinance can be very dangerous to people with extreme dependencies it can send your body into massive shock and depending on severity it is extremely dangerouse without supervision by doc or some other profesional,
Old 01-07-2007, 03:48 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi NFiS, Someday is right....that's not a dangerous temp. I wouldn't worry. If all your test came back normal & your doctor isn't concerned give it a few days and hopefully it should resolve itself. Normal, as you know, can be a little different for each individual. Try and relax. Hope you feel better soon.
Old 01-07-2007, 04:56 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'll echo the other opinions of seeking medical advice.

De-tox can be rough (an understatement), even life threatening. I know I don't want to repeat my last one.
Old 01-07-2007, 08:54 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Whew!!. Thanks so much for all the wonderful replies. About 15 minutes after I read this thread (there were only 4 replies at the time), I began experiencing even worse heart palpitations and my fever spiked after I started eating a bowl of soup so I immediately rushed to the ER where they did an EKG (normal), a CBC (normal), a BMP (normal) and a chest X-ray (normal).

The doctor suspected that I had alcohol-induced gastritis and put me on a bland diet and also wrote me a prescription for Protonix. I was shocked to hear him actually say that it is very common for alcoholics to experience mild fevers, shortness of breath and heart palpitations during detox. That at least made me feel good.

Thanks again for the replies and support!

- Regards, NFIS
Old 01-07-2007, 08:57 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Good Job going to ER !

Is your blood pressure normal ? Most likely, it's high.

Hang in there, it gets better.
Old 01-08-2007, 06:15 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

if you have normal blood pressure you are very lucky def time to give up befor it does get bad which it def will as im sure everyone can tell you, good luck hope it goes well
Old 01-10-2007, 03:02 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Hope3

Glad everything went ok at the hospital. About those neighbors, maybe you should call the police, nobody has the right to harass you, exspecially on your own property, even if you were gay. Best wishes Hope3, a proud gay american.
Old 01-10-2007, 04:16 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
let it grow!

Blessings, HFIS - Glad you were able to get to the doctor and get the medical attention you needed. Keep taking good care of yourself. K