Notices

About time I showed up...

Old 12-19-2006, 01:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

About time I showed up...

It's my second day of sobriety. I tried to quit drinking 3 years ago after a DUI but I failed after 5 months because I thought I could manage my drinking if I just had a few rules or guidelines in place to keep me in check - "don't drive after you drink," or "only drink at home," etc... One drink and the rules were out the window...
I scared myself sober Saturday night (actually Sunday afternoon after I realized I crashed the car) and I plan to keep my commitment forever this time. I hate the sense of remorse I have knowing that I could have killed someone and caused a lifetime of pain for others over a few stupid drinks. I just want it all to go away and I'm hoping for a little support from people who know where I'm at.

Last edited by sober121706; 12-19-2006 at 01:58 PM.
Old 12-19-2006, 01:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Welcome, I'm glad to see you here and know exactly where you're at. Do you have a program or plan of action for your recovery?

Keep posting. I'll look forward to hearing more from you.
Old 12-19-2006, 01:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I went to an AA meeting last night and will be going back tonight. That is all I have for now. I'm hoping to get involved as much as I can. Any recommendations would be VERY much appreciated.
Old 12-19-2006, 01:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Awesome! That's all you really need to have for now. Be open-minded if possible, listen to suggestions, and try to recognize the similarities rather than the differences.
Old 12-19-2006, 01:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi sober! Welcome to SR!! I'm glad to see that you are attending AA. You will also find a lot of strength and support from people on the boards here. When I first got clean all I could do was take it day to day. I did 90 meetings in 90 days, and I post to this site whenever possible. It's not easy to stay clean/sober, but many have, and you can too. Keep going to meetings, reach out to others in recovery, and keep posting here!!

Looking forward to more posts from you and Good Luck!!

_________
Codi
Old 12-19-2006, 02:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks so much! I like it here already.
Old 12-19-2006, 02:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Searching for moments of peace

Hey there! It sounds like you've made a fabulous decision. I only have a few days going for me at this point too. This board has everything to do with keeping me sane and from feeling so alone. You'll fit right in. Welcome!
Old 12-19-2006, 02:40 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

So glad you didn't kill yourself or anyone else! You say, "About time I showed up"...may I say, "Better late than never"?

I plan to keep my commitment forever this time.
"forever" is a very long time...that's why we only commit to "one day at a time"...much more manageable!

In the beginning...don't drink and go to meetings! The 90 meetings in 90 days is an excellent suggestion. Because of work, family, college courses, I wasn't always able to make a meeting every single day...so, I would double/triple up on meetings over the weekends...but, I'm sure I made many more than the 90. It will give you a very good base for sobriety...you'll have a good idea by then (if not before) of the group you want to make your Home Group, and who you want to ask to be your sponsor.

Good Luck, and keep posting/visiting at Sober Recovery.
Old 12-20-2006, 01:58 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to SR!

Let's both simply stay sober today.
Deal?

Take care..
Old 12-20-2006, 06:08 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Sober for today sounds like a wise idea for me. I like the idea of not making the long-term commitment - just for today. You all are great. Thanks for the encouragement.
Old 12-20-2006, 08:02 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

It sounds like you have made a start just by reaching out and going to AA. There you will find people like you and at least be able to identify with others who have gone through the same thing. And remember, its not "forever", just think of it as a day at a time...

"Rarely have we seen a person fail who thoroughly follows our path"..
Old 12-20-2006, 09:31 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Good luck Sober. Seems like you're off to a good start.

Remember, some day you won't have to go through all this "stuff".
Old 12-20-2006, 10:35 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi Sober! Welcome. Meetings and this forum do wonders for me. Today is #14 for me and my committment to one day at a time is really working for me.

Hope to get to know you better here. Take care.
Old 12-20-2006, 10:44 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Garden variety drunk

Hi, Sober121706. I too have one of those alcoholic cars-- wrecked it one day at a time. I was a mortal danger to self and others. But today it's not like that. What people are telling you is true-- all you get is this one day of sanity. The good news is that you can always have it today.
Old 12-20-2006, 11:21 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Good job Sober 121706. I have been sober for 98 days and never felt better. When I first attending AA meetings I always sat in the corner and kept to myself. Now, I arrive at the meeting early and volunteer for anything that needs to be done. I also remain after the meeting adjourns for the "fellowship". You'd be amazed as to how many people have been through the same thing you have.
Old 12-20-2006, 12:51 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

Uh, Huh...some of the best meetings are in the kitchen before and after the regular meeting...also, afterwards at the local diner/coffee shop.

I'm reminded of this old saying, "Yesterday is history...Tomorrow is a mystery...Today is a gift...that's why it's called The Present." Kinda hokey, I know...but, sometimes I like hokey.
Old 12-20-2006, 02:36 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Wayne C. View Post
When I first attending AA meetings I always sat in the corner and kept to myself. Now, I arrive at the meeting early and volunteer for anything that needs to be done. I also remain after the meeting adjourns for the "fellowship". You'd be amazed as to how many people have been through the same thing you have.
Hey Wayne, you described me to a T. And once again I'm amazed at the similarities!